Author Topic: [WIP] GTG Zephyrus  (Read 27239 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Frankly I had envisioned something more "Nebulon B frigate" in that vertical section, but also frankly as it is it's awesome. Great job DahBlount!

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Thanks all, now all I've got to do is mark seams and create the UV map.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Are you really going to lock the modelling development? I think the back part is too smooth and bland compared to the front. The detail that you have in the back isn't too exaggerated in terms of bevelling, which makes it look too smooth (again, compared to the front). Also, you could play a bit more with the silhuette of the back, especially the triangular fin.

Hope that's useful :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
As it stands, the Zeph is at more than 50k tris and I'm not overly fond of going any further over that amount. I can always add detail using normal maps as well.

I would be willing to mess with the silhouette a little bit if I knew what you had in mind.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Kolgena

I think some pseudo-functional girders and pipes in the ventral fin would look good.

As for surface details in the back, maybe you could draw some inspiration from this photo: My main reservations about this model (it's great otherwise) is that it looks a bit too sleek and FS2-generation vasudan/terran tech. Personally I would have imagined clunkiness. Basically a utilitarian civilian tanker that had some turrets tossed onto it just because.

What's your reservation about 50k tris? That doesn't seem that high to me, considering the size of this ship.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:35:43 pm by Kolgena »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Change the view on p3d to wire on x-ray, you'll inmediately see the disproportion of detail between the front against the center and the back of the model.
el hombre vicio...

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Have you looked at the newest update?

I added it to the first post now.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
As it stands, the Zeph is at more than 50k tris and I'm not overly fond of going any further over that amount. I can always add detail using normal maps as well.

I would be willing to mess with the silhouette a little bit if I knew what you had in mind.

The 50k Tris come mainly from the Gas Tanks, which just proves that polycount =\= detail. You can solve the Gas Tank problem with detail boxes :)

The Zephyrus is one of those odd and complex cases, because the Gas Tanks are a very high frequency noise area, that covers about 40% of the ship's area, which makes designing an HTL version of it quite complicated.
I took a screengrab of your p3d, and did a quick paintover (sorry for the imperfect perspective, but I went for speed). Note that I barely touched the wee small details, and instead focused on the big shapes, structure definition. It should add more interest when you see the ship from far away, and I believe it balances out all that "noise" from the Gas Tanks.
If you end up changing your mesh, I'd say don't be afraid to be bold and exaggerate the shapes. :)

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Ah yes, on the new one the details spreads a little more.
Still, I feel that panelling work in the middle is a little tad uninspired, like random greebling. Texturing might help though, so I'm not pressing this matter.
el hombre vicio...

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft

The 50k Tris come mainly from the Gas Tanks, which just proves that polycount =\= detail. You can solve the Gas Tank problem with detail boxes :)

The Zephyrus is one of those odd and complex cases, because the Gas Tanks are a very high frequency noise area, that covers about 40% of the ship's area, which makes designing an HTL version of it quite complicated.
I took a screengrab of your p3d, and did a quick paintover (sorry for the imperfect perspective, but I went for speed). Note that I barely touched the wee small details, and instead focused on the big shapes, structure definition. It should add more interest when you see the ship from far away, and I believe it balances out all that "noise" from the Gas Tanks.
If you end up changing your mesh, I'd say don't be afraid to be bold and exaggerate the shapes. :)

:eek2: That detail though. I could modify the fin and change the flanges on the rear but the rest of that may be beyond my capabilities. Also, it is important not to take too much of a deviation from the retail model however if we can get a large enough consensus that less retail == better then I'll go for it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:16:12 pm by DahBlount »

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
See it as a learning experience :D
You take a bit longer on this one, and then you'll ace the next ones.

if you use Max, I can give you some pointers on the technical aspect. Others on HLP use Blender, so they can help you out if it's the case. :)

Raven is a god.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Oh I don't have problems with technical stuff, I've already utilized and memorized a lot of Blenders power, the problem lies mostly in my creativity and general lack of ability.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
It's all learnable, trust me :) I teach design\drawing at my local university, so I have the experience to back that statement.
If you want, you can use my paintover as inspiration, of course.

Raven is a god.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Indeed.

So far so good.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Nice. I agree with Raven, don't be afraid to get outside of your comfort zone, be bold, and take risks! You can always go back, assuming you're versioning. :)
I am a revolutionary.

Indeed.

So far so good.

Very good concept Raven. I like the details... except one thing xD sorry mate. Look at the shape of the engine flaps ;). They remind me of  some part of male's anatomy.

I couldn't stop myself, sorry for that xD. I will post my own idea for the flaps within couple of hours :)

Edit. I removed the picture (it could offend somebody).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:17:46 am by Col.Hornet »

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the mods tend to react swiftly and forcefully to such comparisons.

ever since the phallus incident...
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
But that's pretty... Good comparison this time :P. I love what Raven did and I really want to see details like this in actual model, but shape of engine flaps needs to be changed IMHO.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Sorry man, but unless you're already specifically looking to see phalluses in everything, there's nothing wrong with that shape. :p

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Bunch of pervs. Everyone sees penises in whatever I do.... :P

Raven is a god.