Author Topic: GTB Ursa  (Read 32324 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
While tweaking the canopy to accentuate the size of the craft is a good idea, I would be hesitant about designing a canopy that appears to restrict the pilots' view.  This is a 4 place bird correct? Pilot/copilot front and weapons officer/navigator back?

By reducing the vertical space instead of the top I think the cockpit canopy would give the impression of mass without appearing to cram the crews' view of the battlespace.

Below is just a MS scribble but I hope it illustrates the jist of my point:

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Good to see the bear alive and kicking :) I like what you've made with the canopy so far, though I second Slayer's opinion. A little more glass would be better.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I don't think you can fit two people side-to-side comfortably in the front. The two meter long block has the general proportions of a human that tall.

I was thinking the pilot in front, in the middle. Then one or two other crewmen off to one side behind him. It's heavily implied that there's high levels of automation in the FreeSpace universe so I think 4 and maybe even three crew might be pushing things a little, especially with how easily these things die.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I figured it was similar in size to a EA-6B but I could be wrong.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Ursa is 42 meters long, 27 meters wide, and 16 meters high, so more than twice as large in any dimension.

The model is also really terrible at selling its size :P
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hades

hey c'mon man i'm trying
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
While tweaking the canopy to accentuate the size of the craft is a good idea, I would be hesitant about designing a canopy that appears to restrict the pilots' view.  This is a 4 place bird correct? Pilot/copilot front and weapons officer/navigator back?

Just have enough room for one to put on his cowboy hat in case thermonuclear war ;)

Kidding aside, nice work so far. Keep it up
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I thought he meant the old Ursa.

This triple primary mount needs a really powerful gun. You could fit a man in each of that barrels!
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Hades

Got a 180cm tall pilot or so to use as a reference. I don't think you can fit two of these guys side-by-side at the front.

edit: also the 'main' guns have a diameter of 816mm, so that's something
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:21:01 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wtf is up with those engine spars

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
hey c'mon man i'm trying

I know, I meant the retail model.

Also the mediavp one, which is apparently crewed by giants.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

I assume its a placeholder before it gets greebledthe****up

Ok, now we can see how ridiculously BIG this thing is :O. It's actually just 6 meters shorter than modern day fast attack crafts I saw in the naval base during summer practices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkan-class_fast_attack_craft

No doubt Bastion was able to deploy just 4 of them into strike against Lucy. I bet they could store 2 or 3 Hercs per 1 Ursa.

In my opinion a crew of 3 would be most convenient. Pilot, co-pilot <weapon systems officer> and engineer (actually this thing is such big that some minor repairs could be done from the inside)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:18:39 pm by Col.Hornet »

Offline Hades

I assume its a placeholder before it gets greebledthe****up
That was originally the idea, but I'm a coward bastard so I ended up just filling it in instead.

Last update for today. Hull details, filled up engine pylons, and also trying out straightened engine pylons to see how they look, and they look a lot less ugly. Thoughts?
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
taking shape, great work man

i hate all those multy crew ship, that then always get represented as one guy in the missions :/
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Hades

I've pretty much finalized the LOD0 mesh (p3d link above is up to date), cockpit interior is modeled (first time I've made one I'm ok with). However if anyone wants something changed, feel free to suggest something.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
i for one would feel a lot more comfortable with the ship, if the 3 guns would be just a bit bigger than the 2, and also a bit shorter, they look quite out of proportion right now
i think at least the opening of the barrels should not be that big
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

As for the details, everything is in fine order. However I would strongly suggest to get the angled engine pylons back. It distorted the whole rear section and width proportions. I find it very weird at some angles, especially this one:

(though I understand the point of making them straight. First thing which crossed my mind was the engine thrust. Force distribution would be handled better with straight frame then angled one. Or was that only esthetic reason behind it :)? ).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's surprisingly low on greebles for a Hades(tm) model.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.