Author Topic: Coding instead of FRED?  (Read 2785 times)

Offline marcoms

Coding instead of FRED?
As the output of FRED missions are just plaintext .fs2 files, and FRED is not available on Linux, is there a language I can learn that I can use to make Diaspora missions (I realise it will be hard)..?

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: Coding instead of FRED?
And since that reference is obviously a skeleton, your best bet is pretty much to copy existing missions and seeing how things are done in them. Personally, if I was doing the same thing, I probably wouldn't refer to that page at all since it seems so confusing and I couldn't know if it was up-to-date or not anyway.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If you want to go down this route, I would definitely use the "Output SEXPs to sexps.html" flag in the advanced settings section of the launcher to make the game print out a list of all the SEXPs the build you have supports.

Otherwise, I strongly agree with zookeeper on this one. I'm attaching a pair of barebones missions which makes the player Red 1 and which includes placeholders for the briefing, etc. The second one also has an unnamed battlestar and basestar so that you don't have to faff around setting those up.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Fred won't run on Linux using WINE?

Offline marcoms

Yes, in fact I've chosen to use FRED2_open in Wine for now (until wxFRED is stable enough), which works well enough... Thanks though.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, in fact I've chosen to use FRED2_open in Wine for now (until wxFRED is stable enough), which works well enough... Thanks though.

As a current developer of wxFRED, I must ask: What do you mean "until wxFRED is stable enough?"

Currently at the moment it is just a front-end shell without any useful function.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline marcoms

Sorry - I've been away for a few weeks - @z64555: I mean stable (bad wording) as in a viable replacement for fred2_open (right now I can't even get it to compile)

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Which source code have you been using? The wxFred2 branch on github should be the one that's most up to date. Check out both links in my signature to get quickly started.

I've been meaning to install a linux distro, but haven't been able to get around to actually doing it.  :nervous:
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline marcoms

I used the one from fs2_open svn, but I haven't tried the GitHub one...

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Try it, and see if it runs on Linux. Like I've said before, the core functionality hasn't been put in, but you can still open up and look at some of the editors.
chief1983

------------

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Is Fred  available on mac? :confused:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Is Fred  available on mac? :confused:

uh. no. wxFred might once we get somebody to compile it on a Mac.
chief1983

------------

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
There is WINE for Mac though, but you have to compile it as binaries are not maintained as of yet.

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX#head-409fbb0a0c9e8bf1af4ee4e434db9a70c764315c