Author Topic: I Have Been Called Up  (Read 9693 times)

Offline Davros

Re: I Have Been Called Up
Ive just been called up.....

but I told the guy I dont want a new mobile phone

Offline newman

Sometimes I just don't understand the military. Armies today aren't held together by it's officers or soldiers; they're made possible by the average Joe who finances them, among other things, by going to work, punching a clock, and paying his taxes. I realize they don't want to make getting out of the army on medical grounds too easy to prevent everyone from trying it, but in some cases pulling people through the system for months (years?) makes little sense. I have a friend with epilepsy who was old enough to be called up before they got rid of the compulsory military service in Croatia. Instead of just declaring him unfit on the spot the moment he was diagnosed, the army spent years sending him to costly examinations every 6 months so he can give them a certificate proving he still has a medical condition for which there is no cure.

I don't get why they don't just release you from military service, under the circumstances; their course of action makes no sense to me. You had a 9 year old leg injury resulting in this condition right now. Don't get me wrong, I wish you total recovery, but it doesn't seem like a few months of physio-therapy are going to do that. From a purely practical point of view, the army can either spend money on your therapies, never getting a soldier they really want, or they can release you so you can get on with your life and career and in effect start financing them by becoming a tax-paying working man.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I don't get why they don't just release you from military service, under the circumstances; their course of action makes no sense to me. You had a 9 year old leg injury resulting in this condition right now. Don't get me wrong, I wish you total recovery, but it doesn't seem like a few months of physio-therapy are going to do that. From a purely practical point of view, the army can either spend money on your therapies, never getting a soldier they really want, or they can release you so you can get on with your life and career and in effect start financing them by becoming a tax-paying working man.

I don't get it sometimes either. All I really know is that declaring a medical condition and getting it investigated during my two-year conscription period is a logistical minefield that I've already started wading into the moment I felt my knee condition worsening during training. I'll just have to go with it and see what comes out of it, because I don't see any other feasible option.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
They'll just end up giving you one of these... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1CeBOWm67A
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline newman

Good luck navigating that red tape minefield, Androgeos Exeunt. This reminds me of my cousin.. as a kid, he fell from a tree. This resulted in one of his kidneys.. slightly detaching from where it's supposed to be? Not really an expert in medical matters, but all I know is that one of his kidneys isn't where it's supposed to be. When they were doing a drafting medical examination, they said it doesn't matter and he's fit for service. So he got called up, and served about a month before they did a medical checkup on everyone in his unit. The doctor looked at photos of his kidney and literally asked "look, do you really want to be here? Because due to your kidney, I can have you home by the end of the week.." That's pretty much what happened.
On the other hand my friend with epilepsy had to spend years proving he still has something that can't be cured to those same people. Red tape - don't try to make sense of it, just try and navigate your way out as best you can :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Good luck navigating that red tape minefield, Androgeos Exeunt. This reminds me of my cousin.. as a kid, he fell from a tree. This resulted in one of his kidneys.. slightly detaching from where it's supposed to be? Not really an expert in medical matters, but all I know is that one of his kidneys isn't where it's supposed to be. When they were doing a drafting medical examination, they said it doesn't matter and he's fit for service. So he got called up, and served about a month before they did a medical checkup on everyone in his unit. The doctor looked at photos of his kidney and literally asked "look, do you really want to be here? Because due to your kidney, I can have you home by the end of the week.." That's pretty much what happened.
On the other hand my friend with epilepsy had to spend years proving he still has something that can't be cured to those same people. Red tape - don't try to make sense of it, just try and navigate your way out as best you can :P

it defiantly helps when like with your cousin you find a doctor willing to work the red tape from their end.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Right, so I had my first physiotherapy appointment today. The therapist said that part of the reason why my knee winded up this way is because my quad muscles are incredibly weak. She told me to do some simple exercises everyday and to see her again within a fortnight.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Well, good luck with that.  it also wouldn't hurt to do some of your own research about the knee.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Strap it up. Do what the physio says. Invest in weight sessions.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I have been transferred out to a unit on the mainland. I get a job with office hours - 7 am or 8 am to 4 pm or 5 pm, Mondays to Fridays. I also get to go back home everyday except when they tell me to stay in. I don't know how long I'll stay in this unit, but definitely until my MC expires at least.
My blog

MP-Ryan