Author Topic: High Poly Leviathan  (Read 65829 times)

yes please, we need a new htlization of those two frikking models.

I'm out of the loop here but what is wrong with the existing HTL model?

Offline CaptJosh

Far as I know, there isn't one. Though I could be wrong. It could just be that the old high polygon models aren't up to current standards.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You'll get different answers. However, there is an HTL already in the MediaVPs. Hades just felt like making a new one.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline CaptJosh

Ah, then it's just that it wasn't up to Hades' standards then.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
yes please, we need a new htlization of those two frikking models.

I'm out of the loop here but what is wrong with the existing HTL model?

Not much really to say the truth, that statement was impulsed by a personal opinion on the ship design itself.
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ah, then it's just that it wasn't up to Hades' standards then.

Stop. This thread will not turn into a criticism of Hades.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
He probably decided to do it because the current models are butt ugly compared to say, the Cain, or the Medusa, or the Valkyrie.

The current models basically add greebles to the trenches along the side, but that's really about it. The turrets, the armor, they all look basically the same as the retail model.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
It's like the old HTL Deimos. It's a slightly better model than retail. This new Leviathan here blows the old one out of the water (no offense to the old HTL of course!)
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that Hades should finish the Deimos first, as it's the one that need help the most. IMHO, working on too many things at one time results in none of them getting done.

I don't get redoing models that have already been done when there are some models which have never been done, but anyway. People are free to direct their efforts how they wish

As for the model itself, there's obviously some good work put into it and some very nice details though I would agree with the sentiment that it's a bit too rounded. HTL for FS2 retail ships should in my mind be about increasing detail not redesign because if you do redesign, then I believe you sorta need to redesign everything. It's like the new star trek movie, the new enterprise was obviously similar to the old one but was essentially a new redesign. And to make that design work they made an entirely new fleet to go along side it. Point is, the FS1 terrans are boxy, generally ugly ships. If you want them more rounded, the whole fleet should become more rounded.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:13:44 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I don't get redoing models that have already been done when there are some models which have never been done, but anyway. People are free to direct their efforts how they wish
Believe it or not, there's actually other people making models aside from myself, and most of the ships have been upgraded or are in the process of being upgraded already.

Plus I do what I want because then I have more motivation to do it.

As for the model itself, there's obviously some good work put into it and some very nice details though I would agree with the sentiment that it's a bit too rounded. HTL for FS2 retail ships should in my mind be about increasing detail not redesign because if you do redesign, then I believe you sorta need to redesign everything. It's like the new star trek movie, the new enterprise was obviously similar to the old one but was essentially a new redesign. And to make that design work they made an entirely new fleet to go along side it. Point is, the FS1 terrans are boxy, generally ugly ships. If you want them more rounded, the whole fleet should become more rounded.
I'm doing this Leviathan in the exact same style I've done the Medusa, am doing the Apollo, and Ursa.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Looking swell Hades, a big improvement on the previous "HTL" models.

Don't forget your Deimy though, please, it was another excellent model ye was doing.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
HTL for FS2 retail ships should in my mind be about increasing detail not redesign because if you do redesign, then I believe you sorta need to redesign everything. It's like the new star trek movie, the new enterprise was obviously similar to the old one but was essentially a new redesign. And to make that design work they made an entirely new fleet to go along side it. Point is, the FS1 terrans are boxy, generally ugly ships. If you want them more rounded, the whole fleet should become more rounded.
If he were redesigning the Fenris I'd be screaming bloody murder right along with you, but I think you have the wrong analogy here. It should be Fenris:Leviathan::NCC-1701:Refit. The original Levi was indistinguishable from the Fenris, which just about everyone agrees should be changed. The recolor was a cheap but powerful change. The most recent edit, adding armor plates, made a certain amount of sense but covered up some of the ship's more interesting details. You can quibble about the details, but a certain amount of redesign is necessary.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I'm doing this Leviathan in the exact same style I've done the Medusa, am doing the Apollo, and Ursa.

Please, please, Hades. Actually finish some of them :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The medusa is finished, and it's one of the greatest models ever in FS IMO.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I know I know I'm talking about the rest.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Too early to tell if I like it or not. The front looks very rubbery.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Too early to tell if I like it or not. The front looks very rubbery.
Front was only put there for reference. That's definitely not how it'll look.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

I like it, as long as the texture helps to maintain the boxy motifs in FS1 Terran designs (which I have no doubt it will, knowing today's FSU).

they weren't boxy, they were angular, like the slanting of tank armor. the boxy appearance is a result of technical limitation.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I like it, as long as the texture helps to maintain the boxy motifs in FS1 Terran designs (which I have no doubt it will, knowing today's FSU).

they weren't boxy, they were angular, like the slanting of tank armor. the boxy appearance is a result of technical limitation.

Some will agree, and some wont... but for the sake of our sanity, PLEASE do not engage in any discussion about this... at least for another year or so.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.