Author Topic: High Poly Leviathan  (Read 65814 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

Update. Still need to add more detailing to the engines, radar, and main body, but got the engine block a bit more detailing to it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:12:44 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Can I say dat ass?  Because dat ass.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Are you gonna take my suggestion regarding destroyable armor sub-objects?  ;7
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Hades

Are you gonna take my suggestion regarding destroyable armor sub-objects?  ;7
It's a nice idea but I'd have to check how feasible it'd really be.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Looking good, can't wait to see the rest.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The engine section looks great, but the rest less so.
It seems "tacked on" to the engine, with curved lines of the main tower looking rather weird next to the straight engine.
Now you can see what I was talking about earlier. Curves on the main section just don't fit the Leviathan. I'd suggest to straighten and "beef up" the main section, as it also seems rather small (though this could be the perspective, could you provide a side view in an orthographic projection, next to the retail model or the old HTL if possible?).

Offline Hades

The engine section looks great, but the rest less so.
It seems "tacked on" to the engine, with curved lines of the main tower looking rather weird next to the straight engine.
Now you can see what I was talking about earlier. Curves on the main section just don't fit the Leviathan. I'd suggest to straighten and "beef up" the main section, as it also seems rather small (though this could be the perspective, could you provide a side view in an orthographic projection, next to the retail model or the old HTL if possible?).
Because it fits there, something like that would never work on the engine block because the retail structure of it doesn't lend anything to it nor suggest it in any way like it does for the middle segment.

And yes, the middle segment is correctly proportional, what may be throwing you off is that the neck connecting the middle and engine segments together was made a bit taller.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:10:50 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Might be another reason for the "tacked on" feel of the engine. Making it shorter could help overall look.
I'd say that the approach you used on the engines (mostly straight lines with rounded angles) should also be applied to the midsection. This should help eliminate the feeling that these two have been made by two different designers and bolted together. Overall, midsection is just too different from the engine and IMHO, also departs from retail too much.

Offline Hades

Might be another reason for the "tacked on" feel of the engine. Making it shorter could help overall look.
I'd say that the approach you used on the engines (mostly straight lines with rounded angles) should also be applied to the midsection. This should help eliminate the feeling that these two have been made by two different designers and bolted together. Overall, midsection is just too different from the engine and IMHO, also departs from retail too much.
I disagree. Increasing the height of the neck not only makes it go better geometrically-wise with the engine block, but helps give it a less flimsey look to it.

As for the middle section, I disagree, it's certainly no more of a left hook than the nose was to the entire rest of the Fenris (in fact it fits in better with the nose)
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

Update. Thanks to Sara for the idea of the side thrusters (<3 you Sara)
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It departs from the original model, but I'm not gonna complain... that looks really good! :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
It departs from the original model, but I'm not gonna complain... that looks really good! ****ing incredible :yes:

FTFY
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Just. Wow.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I'll be honest, I thought I would hate this remake, but the new engine section is really nice - it keeps the original feel whilst freshening it up considerably, and I particularly like the side thrusters.

My only concern is that the engine section seems to mesh a little less with the middle section now, but I'm sure you'll sort that out. Keep it up!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This looks awesome, but at the same time, just doesn't look the Leviathan.
I'd suggest you abandon the intention of making it a HTL Leviathan and instead call it "Leviathan Mk.2" or some other fitting name, like Vidar or Kraken.
Really, there's a lot more potential for this model as a next generation Leviathan, and IMHO, it'd be an excellent addition to BP. IIRC, WiH does use the Leviathan, and this model both looks better than the current HTL and just different enough to be used as a refitted version.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I suggest you abandon your desire to tell other, more talented people what their intentions should be. I'm serious. I can understand your intentions, but at the same time, remember that Hades is the artist here, and he's the one making the decision what his model should be.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, I'm just giving a suggestion.
This really does look like something out of BP to me. Since it's not a bad thing, I just wanted to suggest going further in that direction. I don't think that it'll fit as a HTL Leviathan, it just looks too futuristic. It's still an awesome model though.

Offline Hades

This looks awesome, but at the same time, just doesn't look the Leviathan.
It's not meant to look like the retail Leviathan, hammer that into your head.

Hammered that nail of a thought yet? Good. Now, let me explain my reasoning;

Based on the tech descriptions and the way I'm interpenetrating it, it's meant to be a more advanced Fenris, instead of being just a retrofit, it's a completely rebuilt vessel.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
That looks really incredible, and I think it will make a fine Leviathan for general consumption!  :)

I do feel like the aft "ring" section between the side thrusters and the main engine could use some detailing: but I suspect you already plan on doing something with it.