Author Topic: First Cruiser wip  (Read 3802 times)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
My very first cruiser, not sure if I am entering it in the contest or keeping it for my use until a release. Not sure if I want to call it Mako or Stingray, as it was initially inspired by the late 60's to early 80's Chevy Corvette. 

You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
its looking good mate
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Now that I am actually awake, let me give you some background on this cruiser.  It is purpose built as a covert ops insertion vessel for the S.O.C.  The panels highlighted below open to allow auto docking of two fighters per side, then they close.  The fighters are then ferried to the launch bay via elevator for launch.   The cruiser carries 1 wing of fighters.  In addition it has dock points for a transport and a support ship on the outriggers.

The turrets are new in concept.  When they are targeted by a fighter or bomb/bomber, there are two small ammunition based turrets which engage the attacker.  The ammunition base means that the energy that powers them is negligible. Considering that I am not at all well versed in setting up turrets these were a pain in the backside to set up, but I figured it out.

Casualties of War

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
I don't think turret-on turret rigs are possible.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

The fighters are then ferried to the launch bay via elevator for launch.   

Do you you mean there are Battlestar-like launch tubes? I thought that in fs2 universe fighters departed and landed just from the same fighterbay, without need to be "lauched" like in BSG... Anyway BSG's way is cooler! (though I can't see its usefulness in space). This makes me reconsider some things about my own ship's docking&launching procedures...

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
No they are launched from a conventional, if admittedly small bay.  Recovery though is a different matter.  It carries only four fighters, and after all, this is a cruiser, a small warship.  Her defenses would be geared toward anti fighter/bomber weapons, and she would pretty much run from a straight up fight.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
First layer of greebling done on the fore and midship sections.  Need to start on the aft section, and then go back through and do a second layer.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:27:32 pm by ShadowWolf_IH »

Casualties of War

why don't you post some renderings of your ship? The "object mode" doesn't allow to truly understand the real shape of some details, especially the smoothed parts...