Author Topic: Release: 3.7.2 RC4  (Read 19133 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If we had branched for 3.7.2 and been doing backports to that branch we would have bumped trunk to 3.7.3 but since we are fully merging all trunk into 3.7.2 still, it seemed to make sense not to bump the version yet.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Also, the convention is that trunk (from which nightlies are built) always end in odd numbers, and stable releases (including RCs) always end in even numbers.  It does get a bit confusing in the current situation where the nightlies are more recent than the RCs but have a lower number.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Hello all I'm rather new here and don't know where to report this but I encounter a strange problem while playing the main campaign of FS2 with the latest RC4 release!

When playing with the standard executable and mediavps_2014 my game crash during missions whith heavy beam fire or flak gunnery (even during the first mission for example when the psamtik opens fire, my game crash and returns to desktop), and these crash are repeatable everytime at the same moment (I tested other missions by advancing the campaign with mediavps_3612 and the 3.7.0 executable). These crashes seems to be linked to the 3.7.2_RC4 executable because sometimes I crashed with 3.7.2_RC4 and mediavps_3612 as well!

So I wanted to start the game using the debug executable to get a log and see what's happening, but then the game no longer crash at all!!

I'm playing with a good computer (not top-end but core i5 3570, 8GB of ram, GTX660 with 2 GB and windows 7 pro 64bits) and do not demand too much with the launcher (1920x1080, no anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering, and just apply lightning to missile and enable 3d shockwaves enabled)

Edit: What are the pdb and map file associated with the debug exe? Do I need them to run the debug or can I delete these files?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:24:20 am by krevett62 »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You don't need them, but you get more useful information with them around. Although, I think they might have been renamed as part of the archiving process, and might not work correctly as is.  They're not needed to get a debug log though, which is one of the more important pieces of information from the debug build.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
So I wanted to start the game using the debug executable to get a log and see what's happening, but then the game no longer crash at all!!
There may still be some data of interest in your fs2_open.log file; could you provide it anyway so we can see what it says?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, please try a more recent nightly, we will probably be getting an RC5 out soon, and current trunk is much closer to what that would be than it is to RC4.

As I now always play with the debug I can provide you my latest log (no crash during gameplay everything was great but I suspect I would have crashed using the standard exe, I replayed the very first mission with the standard exe to see and the crash happens exactly after the beam is charged when it would be fired, using the debug I never crash).

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I can't see anything that jumps out at me in that log, so I can only reiterate chief1983's suggestion that you try a recent Nightly Build and see if it still crashes.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I don't know if thet can be of any help here is the windows report of the crashes in the event viewer:

Nom de l’application défaillante fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4.exe, version : 3.7.2.10997, horodatage : 0x53eea8fa
Nom du module défaillant : fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4.exe, version : 3.7.2.10997, horodatage : 0x53eea8fa
Code d’exception : 0xc0000005
Décalage d’erreur : 0x001363be
ID du processus défaillant : 0x1230
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01cff84a977ac7cf
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : E:\Freespace 2\fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: E:\Freespace 2\fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4.exe

The only thing that change between crashes is the process ID (and time of course)

Edit: Just reproduced the crash and logging it with process monitor here's the last two minutes of the log

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:14:22 am by krevett62 »

Hi, I just downloaded the latest nightly (r11171) to give it a try and still got the same bug. Freeze and returns to windows everytime a beam is fired with the standard version and no crash with the debug exe  :mad:

Has anyone encountered this kind of issue?

Edit: ran some more test playing retail, mediavps 3612 and mediavps 2014 with the standard exe, only the retail doesn't crash with the psamtik firing his beam (1st mission, but the crash will also occur on other mission where beam fire occurs!)

Edit2: ran one more test with 3.7.0 exe and mediavps 3612, no crash!!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:43:21 am by krevett62 »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
That sounds like this bug. If that's true, there is probably nothing you can do except wait for the next RC.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
That sounds like this bug. If that's true, there is probably nothing you can do except wait for the next RC.
Except the fix was on the user's end, not code-side; using a newer build won't change anything.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Ah, sorry. I missed those last posts.  :banghead:

OK I'll try by setting on more graphic flags like soft particles and anti-aliasing to see if it crashes!

Edit: tried multiple settings but nothing seems to solve this issue, so I'll keep on playing with the debug...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:17:47 pm by krevett62 »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Also, please try a more recent nightly, we will probably be getting an RC5 out soon, and current trunk is much closer to what that would be than it is to RC4.
Soon™
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
OK I'll try by setting on more graphic flags like soft particles and anti-aliasing to see if it crashes!

Edit: tried multiple settings but nothing seems to solve this issue, so I'll keep on playing with the debug...

Maybe ask the user that fixed his problems to show you the flags he used? Just to be sure.

And you have  the latest drivers for your graphics card, yes?

I always uptade to the latest drivers... Anyway it is a known bug now as it appears in mantis!
The only way I found for now is playing with the debug so it's not that bad as I can still play the game without crashing this way.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The beam crash bug is pretty widespread at this point, I don't really want to release until we've got a fix for it, but we've got a shortage of coders with new enough nvidia cards to reproduce it apparently.  I assume you have a newer nvidia card?

I've got a nvidia gtx660. What's really annoying is that the crash won't happen with the debug so we can't give you a log of what's happening...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I've got a nvidia gtx660. What's really annoying is that the crash won't happen with the debug so we can't give you a log of what's happening...

means you have the same issue in all likelihood, Debug builds seem to be immune to the issue iirc
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art