Author Topic: Starting Some Analysis  (Read 6988 times)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Starting Some Analysis
Hey HLP, I thought it'd be appropriate to share my kicking off a series of undetermined length on Freespace on the board. I'm planning on doing quite a few videos on the retail campaigns and then switching over to the community stuff (probably in some kind of chronological order with the exception of ST:R being a segue into talking about 2). Let me know what you guys think of this as an introduction and any suggestions you have as far as showcasing the community stuff or if I should just use General Battuta's guide as a blueprint for going through the campaigns on here.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:06:39 pm by Mongoose »
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Starting Some Analysis
Fixed your embed there.  Don't post the HTML, just put the actual video ID inside the [yt] tags.

And I don't have the time to watch the whole thing right now, but the bit I saw sounds really good. :yes:

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Thanks for that. I hardly ever post YT links here.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Luis Dias

Wow and right at the start a big shoutout towards my direction! Thanks :D

Offline starlord

Great. Could you please LP the memories of the great war campaign series if you can?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Excellent intro, Firesteel, looking forward to more!
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Agreed with The E. Excellent intro. I'm definitely interested to see more.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Glad you guys like it so far! I'm not a let's player but I can definitely look at Memories of the Great War and see how much I can figure out as far as doing something analytical.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Awesome. An insightful discussion of a worthy game series. Thanks a bunch!

I like the way you described the sense of powerlessness, horror, and even wonder that the retail campaigns gave to the player. You put into words something that I've sensed for a long time but couldn't put into words - it was the atmosphere that drew me in with Freespace 1, and the reason why that game is my favorite of the two. I thought it pulled off that isolation, wonder, horror... maybe just a little better than the second. Both games did it real well though.

Not to mention you're an excellent commentator. You take your time but your voice isn't dull, and I can tell that you mean what you say. Are you taking lessons or something? :P

Can't wait to see more! Keep it up!

Offline starlord

Many thanks. Many of those campaigns deserve some form of attention.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Thank you for the kind words. I'm also a playwright and I've done a fair amount of cold readings of both complete and in progress works, so that's probably helping me out.

From a narrative standpoint, I find the two games surprisingly different for how similar their style and pacing is. The Shivans are (re)introduced at mission 4 or 5 depending on the game and there's some kind of rebellion/splinter group keeping the T-V war wounds fresh. Freespace 1 has a special place in my heart because of how it introduces the Shivans (part of the next video) and how it makes the wait for the Avenger and shields a brutal affair on higher difficulties. (I spent hours replaying the Hammer and the Anvil for that medal, and about 35% of the time it was because I got too trigger happy with the HOL right at the end).

FS2's version of Out of the Dark, Into the Night (The Great Hunt) is probably the best example of the difference in the attitude of the GTVA vs. the GTA and PVE and something they'll dearly pay for as FS2 progresses.

Most of the stuff on HLP deserves more attention for how much effort and love is put in, and maybe at some point I'll get off my ass and relearn FRED so I can finally make the mini-campaign I've been sitting on for 2 years.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Great stuff.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Axem

Very cool stuff. I look very forward to the future entries. (And thanks for that name drop ;) <3 <3 <3)

(Just as a small critique, I felt you had a few sentences that you spoke a little too fast (You have a very nice voice (so don't rob us of that time by rushing!)))

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Agreed, very cool stuff. :yes: Also looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Thanks guys, and yes, there are a few of those moments (I need to breath more :D)
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Great stuff! Especially useful for newcomers.

One tip: talk a little bit slower. Make some pauses between individual parts of the video. While native english speakers probably won't have problems with understanding this, players from non-english countries may find this problematic.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great work on the video, and I appreciated the name-drop as well. :)

Firesteel, the single most important thing I would suggest is to work on your cadence.  Your enunciation is good, volume is good, and speed is good (albeit slightly faster than probably necessary).  But your cadence is very regular, which makes the narration sound somewhat like the Architect's speech in the unofficial Matrix sequel.  Try varying it a bit, and taking some pauses.

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
I enjoyed that :yes: It was an enlightening 81/2 minutes. You bring up some good points that I've never thought about.

Are youtube CCs always this inaccurate.. odd, I'm sure there meant to be better.

I must say, every time I see another video on this game, the graphics just blow me away :D

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Good advice Goober and something I've been slowly trying to work on, albeit very slowly.

And yes, YouTube's CCs are as bad as you think, turn them on with any video and you're in for some hilarity if they're algorithmically generated.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:43:46 pm by Firesteel »
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Well and informative. It helps to understand what FreeSpace is. :)
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...