Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305231 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Anime's not really my thing, but I am currently going through FMA: Brotherhood, and freaking loving it. :3
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Currently watching Samurai 7. Verdict: meh, it works well enough.
And Blue Gender. Verdict: Giant monster bugs fighting people in power armor! Sounds awesome, but in practice is a bit more mediocre.

I'm just going through Hulu, watching anything that looks interesting. Recently finished Blue Drop (short, and kinda weird) and Spice and Wolf (actually very good, for a show about the art of trade and a wolf-girl).

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Just finished with Gundam AGE yesterday. Very disappointing ending. The writing could really have been a lot better, and there was a general lack of a climactic duel.
Unfortunately ending in manga and anime sucks more often than not. Part of the problem is that manga tends to go on forever and then some, so anime has to draw up an ending somehow and usually they fail to some decree, sometimes spectacularly.

It is my pet peeve that manga and anime in general do not have proper endings. You could watch the first three episodes, or read first six chapters and then stop there and lose nothing. There are some exceptions, some of them are really good too. For example, Full Metal Alchemist manga as well as anime adaptation (Brotherhood, not the original) had great endings that brought closure.

But AGE, like *every other Gundam series* AFAIK is anime-original, and they knew fully well how many episodes they have. THEY HAVE NO EXCUSE.
Especially since pretty much *every other Gundam series* managed to at least pull that off.

I'll just chalk that up to Sunrise going full derp mode and trainwrecking; not like they haven't done it before.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Most people are chalking it up to Sunrise allowing a video game company (Level 5) to create the series.

And actually a few Gundam series have been cut short unexpectedly. The original and Gundam X both got trimmed down from 50 episodes (though in both cases the writers managed to pull off a decent ending anyway).

And Blue Gender. Verdict: Giant monster bugs fighting people in power armor! Sounds awesome, but in practice is a bit more mediocre.

And here's another fine example of an anime that had a craptastic ending despite being... well, like Scourge said, mediocre, but not bad up to that point.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I've almost finished watching Deep Space 9 via Amazon Prime.
Was gonna watch TNG next, but BSG is now on Amazon Instant Video, so might rewatch that instead. :P
Trying to get Breaking Bad DVDs from the library, and finishing up Grey's Anatomy... IDK why I like it.

I tried watching Deep Space 9 and Bashir completely ruined it for me at the start of the third episode.

"Hey everyone doing their jobs in Ops, I met that spy and he talked to me and it was all super-awesome!"

No way am I putting up with that.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
The last three episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist are on indefinite hiatus.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I tried watching Deep Space 9 and Bashir completely ruined it for me at the start of the third episode.

"Hey everyone doing their jobs in Ops, I met that spy and he talked to me and it was all super-awesome!"

No way am I putting up with that.
Character development mother****er. Do you know of it?  :p
Then again, DS9 takes a while to get truely interesting.

Currently watching Samurai 7. Verdict: meh, it works well enough.
Samurai 7 is an odd show. It never bothers to explain the deal with the giant flying mech samurais and all that. Yet for some reason all the wierdness of the setting keeps things kinda interesting. Its just really sloppy in a lot of things, poor consistency. Like for example, there is one scene where the samurai lose their weapons as they pretend to be taken prisoner. Yet as the giant floating ship thing starts crashing down, they suddenly escape the ship with all their weapons on them. There was no way for them to have searched and found the weapons as they barged from one fight scene into the escape scene. Stuff like that, its just poorly directed.

This show just got downright wierd near the end. And the ending was a major "What the actual **** just happened?".
Though I liked how the 'final boss':
Spoiler:
Just promptly got shot in the head after he was finished delivering his 'I'm so evil, this is my master plan' speech.

Just finished with Gundam AGE yesterday. Very disappointing ending. The writing could really have been a lot better, and there was a general lack of a climactic duel.
I haven't watched the last 3 episodes yet, but even as a big gundam fan I can only say that Gundam Age was overal just bad. It felt like a major chore just to sit through it.

SAO i'm ... iffy about. It's really predictable and cheesy at points and lol random drama, but it's still got a nice setting. Though lately its been focusing on a bit too much cyber-sex/flirting/DRAMA and not enough boss raiding. Uhm...I'll be generous and 7/10.
I'll second this opinion. I do quite enjoy it though.

Two other shows I'm watching and really like are the second season of Kyoukai senjou no horizon (wierd of a show as it is, I enjoy the **** out of it) and Oda Nobuna no Yabou.
Still need to get around starting second season of Rinne no lagrange.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Man, stay the course. Or just skip ahead to when they get the Defiant. DS9 is a really good show.

I am finally, finally, working my way through Bablyon 5 in an organized manner.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Madrox

• Because destroying shivans ins´t enough...
    • My DeviantArt

Man, stay the course. Or just skip ahead to when they get the Defiant. DS9 is a really good show.

DS9 is my fav Star Trek spin-off.
really awesome.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!

really awesome.

DS9 is my fav Babylon 5 rip-off.
It's pretty okay, though it could be more epic. Of course the prior existence of Q puts epic a bit harder to reach for them...

(go go gadget flamewar!)
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Oh you did not just go there, JMS already moved on, you should too.

Now activating Emergency OTP:

While not technically a Series, this guy's opinionated reviews are gold in my book: http://sfdebris.com/index.asp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
ds9 and b5 were both pretty good shows by the standards of 90s television, but they just can't hold up in the current golden age.

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt

really awesome.

DS9 is my fav Babylon 5 rip-off.
It's pretty okay, though it could be more epic. Of course the prior existence of Q puts epic a bit harder to reach for them...

(go go gadget flamewar!)

I hate Q, he was the kind od Deus Ex machina that ruins many stories. its like putting 80 Sathanas to explode a sun t finish a story...oh wait...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
How can you hate Q? She's cute. :(
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Of course the prior existence of Q puts epic a bit harder to reach for them...

Counterpoint: The Q and the Grey.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
:banghead:BAD NGTM, BAD! YOU DO NOT MENTION THE Q AND THE GREY!:hopping:

Oh god, the scriptcide of an entire species and Q's character.

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
How can you hate Q? She's cute. :(

wtf is this? lol
i was talking about this Q - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBwoEXlTph0

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
I'm kind of glad that I dropped AGE after the first season. Actually, now that I try to remember I think it's the first time I actually dropped a series by my own decision.

Though, I heard that apparently the AGE was originaly a game which had events/choises that affected to the story creating multiple ending possibilities. And the animu just picks up one of them.
Not sure about how valid this information is.
Habeeb it...

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
The last three episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist are on indefinite hiatus.

Um.  What?