Author Topic: Trumpety Nuttery Trumpety Trumps  (Read 53599 times)

Lorric and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Trumpety Nuttery Trumpety Trumps
(With apologies to the author of my kids' book).

Who else is following the "Rise of Trump" (alt title: A Compelling Argument Against Democracy in the United States)?  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-face-of-criticism-trump-surges-to-his-biggest-lead-over-the-gop-field/2015/12/14/b9555e30-a29c-11e5-9c4e-be37f66848bb_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_poll-1210am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

The notion that a candidate this full of proto-fascist rhetoric and empty of policy could potentially win the Presidential nomination of one of two major US political parties is utterly astounding.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Black Wolf

Re: Trumpety Nuttery Trumpety Trumps
He can't win. The system is set up to prevent it. If he looks like taking the nomination, the party apparatus will beyond into gear, and corral the various super delegates into consensus behind the next most popular candidate. And if by some miracle, he made it past the primaries, he'd be crushed in the general.

Does it say something about the American public that he's gown this far? Maybe. But honestly, I'm not so certain that a similar candidate couldn't garner a comparably decent kernel of support among certain sectors of the Australian public that I'm prepared to throws stones. In fact, it's avoiding circuses like this one that have kept me firmly in the monarchist camp in Australia, despite a strong push to moves to a republic from my side of politics. I don't ever want to see an individual liked this expose these sorts of nasty issues in my society.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://www.salon.com/2015/12/15/light_the_motherfcker_on_fire_another_trump_rally_turns_on_black_lives_matter_protestors/

to live in interesting times...

while none of this is good I can't say I'm too surprised, the right just lost gay marriage, demographics have been shifting in a way that doesn't bode well for them, and there are a lot of leftish movements on the rise. a lot of them likely feel disenfranchised and invaded as they see their cultural icons getting torn down and replaced. This is why the more he gets attacked the stronger he becomes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:10:05 pm by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I wonder if the vast majority of people supporting him are only doing so to give a giant middle finger to establishment republicans...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there is certainly at least an element of that.

but it's also true he is the nazi/klan/blatant unapologetic racist candidate of choice.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline That Man

I can't help but feel like the massive support for Trump is due at least in part to the decline of the baby boomers and their parents. Time shows them their world and social values disintegrating (and in many cases, rightly so), so they and their families get uppity and peg their support for a candidate who they think will take them back to the good old' days--which never really existed to begin with.

I'm not American, but I really hope this election cycle marks the beginning of the last gasp for America's xenophobic, religiously intolerant underbelly.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Currently modeling SG Rahu and FREDding for Scroll
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'm not American, but I really hope this election cycle marks the beginning of the last gasp for America's xenophobic, religiously intolerant underbelly.

There's no last gasp here. They cling to their "values", so the gap between them and the mainstream keeps widening, so they cling even tighter. Hence the rough continuum from Dubya - Palin - Trump. The nutters are getting ever nuttier and their ignorance and prejudices ever bolder. They're increasingly out of touch but screeching ever louder, resulting in a disproportionate influence on the political process.

What's truly maddening is that one of the two mainstream political parties is running with it! Both the libertarians and the tea party formed as anti-establishment conservative movements and had the potential to break off from the Republicans and carry the moderates with them, but somehow the party managed to re-absorb them.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
That would be due to our broken electoral system that prevents anything other than a two part duocracy.

And it's worse then them being out of touch, they are very much in touch, with each other. Over the last 10-20 years we've seen the culture of America bifrucate, and as the two halves get further from each other they become more insular and extreem. I worry sometimes that some sort of actual civil war might become a possibility within my lifetime.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline perihelion

That would be due to our broken electoral system that prevents anything other than a two part duocracy.

And it's worse then them being out of touch, they are very much in touch, with each other. Over the last 10-20 years we've seen the culture of America bifrucate, and as the two halves get further from each other they become more insular and extreem. I worry sometimes that some sort of actual civil war might become a possibility within my lifetime.
There was a time when I would have instantly dismissed this as paranoid fantasy.  With this much of the electorate chanting Trump's praises, there's now a tiny voice of doubt.

If this rat bastard actually gets the republican nomination, I may do the unthinkable and and actually register to vote again.
"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day to day living that wears you out." – Anton Chekhov

Offline qwadtep

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

Göring, I believe.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Well, It looks like Cruz has taken the lead from Trump for the moment, so you can breath a sigh of release
Though personally I hate Cruz more than Trump; he has supported most/all of the proto-fascist rhetoric + he's a religious crank
Stuff

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I remember reading a theory (I think it was by Jeb Bush) that Trump is actually a democrat trying to destroy the Republican party from within. To be honest, if he was, I really can't think of anything else he should be doing that he hasn't already done.

That said, if your party can be infiltrated this easily, you kind of deserve it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/jul/21/carlos-curbelo/clintons-really-did-attend-donald-trumps-2005-wedd/

^^  Trump's response was "I’m a businessman, I contribute to everybody," so in other words, "I'm a businessman, I was just doing business as usual, buying politicians, nothing to see here, move along".

But not to worry, he also said, "That’s part of the problem with the system. I contribute to everybody. When I need Hillary, she was there. If I say go to my wedding, they go to my wedding. I contribute to everybody and you know what, that’s part of the problem with our system."

Well, now he's trying to be a politician, how is he convincing people that he's not going to take on the role he just so handily criticized??  I don't believe it for a second.  Trump's in it for Trump, and he'll do whatever helps Trump the most if elected. (Read: buy and sell policy as usual for the ruling elite to do. 'For the good of the country', of course.)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Twitter
I wonder how much coaching Trump got from Berlusconi.

(Also, lol Trump. Dude's can't outperform an Index fund and based on annual growth, Paris Hilton is a better investment than him....)
**** every cause that ends in murder and children crying. ― Iain Banks
Join the fun at the HLP IRC channel. Get the latest spam and gossip as long as it's fresh!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Don't forget that people's main impression of him has come from his reality TV programming.

Next time someone tells you reality TV doesn't hurt anything, remind them of Trump.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Phantom Hoover

i'm just waiting for alan sugar to contest the tory leadership
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I remember reading a theory (I think it was by Jeb Bush) that Trump is actually a democrat trying to destroy the Republican party from within. To be honest, if he was, I really can't think of anything else he should be doing that he hasn't already done.

That said, if your party can be infiltrated this easily, you kind of deserve it.

:lol:  :lol:

Blast it all, if Trump wins the Republican nomination, I don't really care how the actual election goes; either way, we all loose.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline That Man

There's no last gasp here. They cling to their "values", so the gap between them and the mainstream keeps widening, so they cling even tighter. Hence the rough continuum from Dubya - Palin - Trump. The nutters are getting ever nuttier and their ignorance and prejudices ever bolder. They're increasingly out of touch but screeching ever louder, resulting in a disproportionate influence on the political process.

Well, crap. So American politics will still look like a bunch of screaming idiots throwing dead cats into their neighbour's swimming pool for about twenty or thirty years.

Blast it all, if Trump wins the Republican nomination, I don't really care how the actual election goes; either way, we all loose.

Unless you happen to own a toupée production company or a spray-tan conglomerate.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:44:50 pm by That Man »

Offline GhylTarvoke

He won't win. We live in a sane world. *fingers crossed*

Offline StarSlayer

• Welcome to Frakville
    • Steam
Romney couldn't win and he didn't spend his entire campaign insulting minorities and women, I don't think the conservative base is really large enough to carry the election by itself anymore.  He might be able to swing the primaries if Republican voters are too dumb to realize they are handing the Democrats the election but I would be extremely surprised if he could carry the whole thing.  That said there are plenty of boneheads who probably would vote for him because they remember his name from TV.

I am a little pissed that the Democrats are not holding any more debates, I'd like to get a chance to evaluate Sanders some more but I assume they just don't want to offer a chance for someone to outshine Clinton.

Though I really just wish the country would just vote third parties into congress and the senate for a couple terms.  I don't even care if their platforms are stupid, I just want to stick it to the entire Dem/Rep establishment.  Since none of them have an massive party machine built to support them they might actually be beholden to their constituents to boot.  :nervous:
Maybe I’ll post a consumer review. “Brought product to surface of Mars. It stopped working. 0/10.”