Author Topic: Trumpety Nuttery Trumpety Trumps  (Read 53373 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Currently modeling SG Rahu and FREDding for Scroll
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Trumpety Nuttery Trumpety Trumps
She's shown whatever attitude was most politically expedient at the moment. She strikes me as being an absolutely typical politician and that just happens to be the angle she's working with at the moment because she thinks it'll get her the most votes.

I totally agree. She's a textbook capital-D Democrat capital-P Politician, far more interested in advancing herself and her party than serving the American people. This is why the primaries are so important; even if you disagree with all of Bernie's positions he's still trying to get corporate influence and money out of politics, and that deserves our support.

He's doing a better job than RON PAUL did in the last few elections, and Hillary lost to Obama in '08 thanks to a grassroots campaign, so even if he doesn't win the nomination it's a sign that things may be moving in the right direction. On election day it's still one vote per person, not one vote per dollar, and Internet activism is carrying more weight with each election cycle.

Midterms, though... well, one step at a time.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I certainly wouldn't mind Sanders. He does seem to be the reasonable choice in this election. That said, he seems to be kind of in the background. OK, with Trump hogging the spotlight everyone seems more or less in the background, but I've seen more of Hillary Clinton than of him. Media certainly seem to make the next elections into "Trump vs. Clinton" duel.

Then again, maybe Sanders just isn't controversial enough for media to jump on him. Maybe he's more visible in the US. Stuff that I get to see is either specific enough to end up on Politifact or silly/outrageous enough to end up reported in Poland.

I certainly didn't see many "big" statements from him. He did talk a lot of money and economics, and a brief look through Politifact makes it seem that compared to other candidates, he doesn't talk much:
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/bernie-s/
He doesn't lie too much, either, and he managed to avoid outrageous blunders that would earn him a "pants on fire" rating. I certainly liked some of the financial points he made, though his record isn't spotless (but then, whose is?). If Trump goes against him instead of Clinton, then he'll have much less of a chance.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
@galemp - I am a registered Democrat in the state of New York and I will be voting Bernie in the upcoming primary. I do pretty much disagree with all of his policies, but I think he actually means them which means a lot this time around. but I have little hope that anything will be heard about him from the news corporations that are funding Hillary's campaign.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, he did pretty much tell the billionaire lobbyists where to stick it, so what did you expect? :) With a pitch like his, I wouldn't expect him getting any favors from big business. He probably likes it that way, but I'm afraid that might just get Clinton elected over him in primaries.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
    • Steam
This, I'm not laughing at. Many of Trump's policies are fairly moderate even if the man himself is a bigoted @$$#ØL€. He's a horrible person but there's still the chance he's a liberal trolling the conservative base by telling them what they want to hear, with no intention of actually following through with it. (Of course you could say this about most politicians.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:16:33 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Cyborg17

• That guy
I realize that the electoral college messes things up and there are multiple polls, but look at the spread on the most recent NBC Sunday poll:

General Election: Trump vs. Clinton   NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl   Clinton 51, Trump 41   Clinton +10
General Election: Cruz vs. Clinton   NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl   Cruz 45, Clinton 49   Clinton +4
General Election: Rubio vs. Clinton   NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl   Rubio 46, Clinton 47   Clinton +1
General Election: Trump vs. Sanders   NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl   Sanders 54, Trump 39   Sanders +15

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/president/

Sanders does better than Clinton against trump.  Rubio is probably the best chance for the Republicans. Only Fox News polls seem to put Trump ahead from what I saw.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I'm pretty sure he's being honest about building a giant doom wall. though to be honest if that's the only thing he follows through on it might be a net positive. but he's pathologically ignorant, I can't help but imagine him gutting science in this country as an afterthought.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline watsisname

• I Wet Ass Man
  • fractal/space artist, astronomer, dreamer
Donald Drump: "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters"

What the unfathomable ****?

but he's pathologically ignorant, I can't help but imagine him gutting science in this country as an afterthought.

I also had the same sense from Carson.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:05:17 pm by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This is a good part of why I'm not a fan of Trump. No matter how good some of his ideas may sound, he has this awful noveau riche mentality that makes me believe he will abuse his power left and right if given the chance. He doesn't emphasize how responsible he is, how concerned with the Americans' well being he is. No, he's constantly acting like he's huge and mighty, dominating over everything he has. It's not only here, it's in his entire rhetoric ("I'm going to get the United States" is another quote of his. And no, context doesn't make it any better). He seems like exactly the kind of person who, if given the chance, would shoot a man just to show that he can. By the people, perhaps, but sure as hell not for the people.

The worst thing is, he's right. Not only that, such loyal supporters are perfect if one wishes to establish a totalitarian regime. I'm not saying he wants to do that, but it should not be something to boast about in a country that supposedly values freedom and democracy. This kind of farce, and the fact that it doesn't immediately cause him to plunge in ratings, is what caused me to lose faith in the ability of "the people" to govern themselves in a democratic system. I usually granted America an exemption (seeing as democracy seems to mostly work there), but if Trump gets elected, this will mean that even Americans elect nutters the moment things take a turn for worse (or they are made to believe they do).

Offline Phantom Hoover

he has this awful noveau riche mentality that makes me believe he will abuse his power left and right if given the chance.

if only america had noble purebred aristocrats to responsibly oversee the building of their big ****off walls for future generations
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Phantom Hoover

it worked for hadrian and the ming dynasty after all
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
What candidate apart from Trump can claim to have his own programming language?

P.S.
Answering the above question, BernieScript which doesn't seem as fun.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
if only america had noble purebred aristocrats to responsibly oversee the building of their big ****off walls for future generations
Ultimately, you don't need an established aristocracy to have decent, responsible people. You just need someone who is capable of looking beyond his own nose and understands the true point of being in a position of power. Lincoln, IIRC, said it best, and he was not an aristocrat. "By the people, for the people." You don't need to have the "noblisse oblige" maxim bind your family for generations, either (though it does help), nor do you have to have to come from a family which essentially evolved into that mindset since the Middle Ages (though it also may help). You just need someone you trust and respect to tell you "with great power comes great responsibility" and make you remember it well (and yes, I think that Spiderman, with his appreciation for that maxim, would've made at least a decent president :) ).

America had such presidents, ones that understood the responsibility laying on them. In fact, Washington was the very first one, and he set a very good example which many others did follow. Trump either doesn't understand it or doesn't care, and that's my problem with him. He's a self-absorbed, greedy guy who has so much money that it stopped arousing him, so he thought he'll now try and grab political power, because he doesn't have all that much of that.

Also, it might surprise you, but the US has "dynasties" which have a history almost as rich (if usually not as long) as European noble families. I'm talking about Bushes, Clintons, Kennedys and so on. Sure, not everyone agrees with their policies, but you can't deny that every one of them was ultimately up to the task. Trump, I believe, is not up to the task of being the POTUS. Look at what he says, then look at what Clinton and Sanders are saying. For the former, you'll see he's either talking about himself, or throwing mud at his opponents. The latter two generally at least allude to actual issues plaguing the country, especially Sanders. While his opponents have some background in governing things, Trump is a businessman with seemingly no idea about running an organization which doesn't have gaining money for him as the only goal.

BTW, I just found that Trump now believes conspiracy theories as well:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/jan/24/bernie-s/yes-donald-trump-really-did-tweet-climate-change-h/
Climate change a hoax? How about this: This winter temperatures in Poland dropped below zero for about two weeks. In a country that used to get snow in november and have it stay into april at times. This is a consistent trend. I remember winters during my childhood, I see how they are now. You can argue about why, but if you're arguing about whether it's happening, you're an idiot, plain and simple. Not that I mind warm winters, but I do mind cracks who reject reality and act according to their own delusions.

Offline That Man

While his opponents have some background in governing things, Trump is a businessman with seemingly no idea about running an organization which doesn't have gaining money for him as the only goal.

And it's worth remembering that Trump isn't that good at money-making either, as a proud member of the multiple bankruptcy demographic.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
    • Steam
Climate change a hoax? How about this: This winter temperatures in Poland dropped below zero for about two weeks. In a country that used to get snow in november and have it stay into april at times. This is a consistent trend. I remember winters during my childhood, I see how they are now. You can argue about why, but if you're arguing about whether it's happening, you're an idiot, plain and simple. Not that I mind warm winters, but I do mind cracks who reject reality and act according to their own delusions.

So it IS still below zero. If climate change is real, then why is it still cold in winter? Can't answer that!

Footnote: I'm assuming that's 0 degrees Celsius.

Offline Luis Dias

It's basically planet Hoth in here and people are obsessed with the climate warming. Just LOOK AT THAT BALL FOR GOD'S SAKE.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Global warming is a stupid term. It's been pretty much confirmed that whatever is happening, it can hardly be called global warming (well, in a narrow sense, the global average is supposedly rising. However, that by itself means little). In Poland, it's genuinely warmer, to my delight, while Americans are freezing their butts off (undoubtedly to their chagrin). That may indicate Gulfstream going out of whack, which has been predicted as a possible outcome. Climate is an immensely complex thing, and it might very well turn out that global average will plunge at some point, due to a mechanism we didn't even know existed.

The bottom line is, it's happening, we are affecting it, the global average temperature is going up. I think that this is a natural process exacerbated and accelerated by human intervention, but ultimately, we know to little about the weather to say for sure. However, exactly due to that, we can't really plan for what will happen, so it's ultimately in our best interests for the status quo to remain as long as possible. Even if it comes to building dams and raising existing ones by a large amount, it's good to actually have time to do that.

Outright denying climate change is ridiculous. You can discuss whether we can fight it, whether we should fight it and if we should, how to best go about it, you can even argue to ignore it altogether (presumably tell NASA to start building their own version of SeaLaunch and shift their museums somewhere higher). But refusing to acknowledge it exists is delusional.

Offline Cyborg17

• That guy
Where I'm living now, there are places that on the beach that are starting to take on water at high tide.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
while Americans are freezing their butts off (undoubtedly to their chagrin)
Not at all.  Our hottest years on record have occurred over the past several, which is pretty much in line with the global averages.  It's just that some mental midgets see a single cold snap and start yelling ZOMG WE'RE FREEZING LOLHOAX