Author Topic: Trumpety Nuttery Trumpety Trumps  (Read 53540 times)

Enioch and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Re: Trumpety Nuttery Trumpety Trumps
That you continued posting doesn't change that you lost. You never managed to present a credible, sourced, theory of why cutting immigration would help reduce terrorism. All you ever did was act as if that hypothesis was true and then try to support it.

I presented a credible theory based on statistical reasoning, overrepresentation of certain immigrant populations in terrorism and crime, and I most certainly did post many sources in my posts, probably most of all people in relevant threads. Your problem is that you probably expect something like a peer reviewed metaanalysis that leaves no doubt about the correct theory, or something similarly absurd. Thats not gonna happen, because it doesnt exist in this field of knowledge, no matter what view you want to argue for. My theory is as good as it gets.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Twitter
As are the competing theories.
**** every cause that ends in murder and children crying. ― Iain Banks
Join the fun at the HLP IRC channel. Get the latest spam and gossip as long as it's fresh!

Offline 666maslo666

As are the competing theories.

Arguably. I am not claiming I won the debate or that I am objectively right, so competing theories have at least that going on for them :)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Phantom Hoover

This is a pretty stupid conversation to be having, The E. maslo has shown that he is incapable of changing his mind; everyone else reading this thread already knows that. Arguing with him further is a waste of bits.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
C'mon, this stuff is hilarious though. Look at this comedy gold:

This notion that I somehow "lost the debate" is fiction, complete BS and historical revisionism.

Apparently we're right up there with holocaust deniers and the NKVD, despite that discussion literally being kept unperturbed (literally literally) on the board for anyone that wants to read it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah, but the problem is that by engaging with Maslo you ignore the point of the thread. Trump is basically counting on the people who come scampering out of the woodwork whenever he has a go at immigrants to the keep the negative attention off him.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 666maslo666

Apparently we're right up there with holocaust deniers and the NKVD, despite that discussion literally being kept unperturbed (literally literally) on the board for anyone that wants to read it.

Not despite, thats exactly why you are revisionist. I mean, I am fine with disagreeing, but one thing which gets me a bit buttfrustrated is when one side dishonestly claims to have "won the argument", when nothing like that happened, nor have I conceded defeat. Maybe someone should tell world politicians and thinkers that some dude on HLP solved entire migration and security issue, so that they can give him his obligatory Nobel already and promptly abdicate in the face of such intellectual superiority.. :D

Anyway, in light of statistics I have posted in the past, tightening of immigration regulation from muslim countries seems like a reasonable idea. There should not be any discrimination based on religion as Trump suggests, thats blatantly unconsitutional, IMHO. But maybe the US should use legitimate criteria like nationality, education or job prospects to more strictly filter these migrants so that they are not 10x overrepresented in terrorism anymore..

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Yeah, but the problem is that by engaging with Maslo you ignore the point of the thread. Trump is basically counting on the people who come scampering out of the woodwork whenever he has a go at immigrants to the keep the negative attention off him.
I'm not convinced that's how it is. Trump's strategy uses his craziness to get media attention, and he's specifically going for the xenophobic vote. Pointing out how stupid trump's ideas are is what got us into this mess in the first place; if he hadn't called Mexicans criminals and rapists in his candidacy announcement I doubt he would still be a contender. Engaging with maslo or Trump's supporters is at best unproductive. And at least on HLP discussing how bad trumps policies are is just beating a dead horse.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, you could argue that he could get some results if his policies were taken to a logical conclusion, so to speak. Trump's probably going to say that, should he get into power. However, I'm certain that people in the Middle East would be strongly against that happening. I suppose that people who care about their fate would also oppose that, but with everything that's going on, this group isn't exactly growing in numbers. As far as I see it, radical measures are steadily gaining public support. "Moderate anti-immigration" measures are simply going to make things worse, so there's a potential of creating a very nasty feedback loop which only could end in the "logical conclusion" I mentioned earlier. We can only hope cooler heads will prevail and that Trump will not get elected after all.

Offline Aesaar

Not despite, thats exactly why you are revisionist. I mean, I am fine with disagreeing, but one thing which gets me a bit buttfrustrated is when one side dishonestly claims to have "won the argument", when nothing like that happened, nor have I conceded defeat.
You don't have to concede defeat.  Reality does not require your acknowledgement.  You lost.  That you're too ignorant and stubborn to recognize that fact doesn't change it.

You're like a creationist.  Just because you can't understand why you're wrong doesn't suddenly mean your idiotic opinion has merit.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:44:05 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
You know, when you word it like that it really makes me want to find a way to agree with him. whatever it is he's saying.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
You know, when you word it like that it really makes me want to find a way to agree with him. whatever it is he's saying.

Meh. You can loathe bullying without agreeing with the bullied.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Mister Subspace Strikes
    • Twitter

"You're wrong, ignorant, and stubborn, and your opinion is idiotic" is not bullying.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

"You're wrong, ignorant, and stubborn, and your opinion is idiotic" is not bullying.
We couldn't get maslo to agree with us by reason so now we're browbeating him until he goes away or changes his mind. What you call it is irrelevant, we're not nice people.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?

Depends on context. Here the context is that 1) everyone knows that only one side of the argument gets to say that without warnings or bans, 2) it's a recurring pattern instead of an isolated comment and 3) it's in response to much more politely and eloquently expressed views, intended to ridicule and silence.

So yeah, it's definitely bullying. That's not a category reserved solely for "you're fat and ugly and I hope you kill yourself" type of thing.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Uh, yeah, it pretty much is.  And I would strongly suggest that everyone refrain from browbeating an individual you disagree with, regardless of your own perceptions of who "won" or "lost" a prior discussion.

Offline Phantom Hoover

The alternative to browbeating him is presenting the exact same facts about the world for him to ignore and keep wittering on about his prejudiced opinions. Believe it or not HLP does not in fact have a left-wing cabal 'browbeating' anyone who disagrees with them, and anyone who thinks that has never seen a thread about Israel. It just attracts some incredibly stupid right-wingers who can't compose an argument or admit they're wrong.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline 666maslo666

Not despite, thats exactly why you are revisionist. I mean, I am fine with disagreeing, but one thing which gets me a bit buttfrustrated is when one side dishonestly claims to have "won the argument", when nothing like that happened, nor have I conceded defeat.
You don't have to concede defeat.  Reality does not require your acknowledgement.  You lost.  That you're too ignorant and stubborn to recognize that fact doesn't change it.

You're like a creationist.  Just because you can't understand why you're wrong doesn't suddenly mean your idiotic opinion has merit.

Creationism vs. Evolution is a descriptive debate about what is, there is actually objective truth to be found. Politics is subjective and prescriptive, and a big part of it is based on opinions (what should be), value judgements and unprovable speculations. We can agree about the facts, while coming to different conclusions about desirable future course of action based on them. That you cant see this distinction speaks volumes. Stop comparing your political beliefs to Evolution, natural or hard sciences are on a whole other level than your (or mine) political opinions. The same with Holocaust denial, historical facts are not comparable to opinion based speculations about the future.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:41:43 pm by 666maslo666 »

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
If you believe you have resolved the argument in your favor, then you can simply ignore maslo if he keeps posting. This is the Internet. We can end discussions and move on, if they're no longer being productive. There is nothing to be accomplished by having the last word.

Yelling at people like that just encourages them to post more. And all it does is feed one's own primal dominance and anger instincts. Let's chill.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Mister Subspace Strikes
    • Twitter

Depends on context. Here the context is that 1) everyone knows that only one side of the argument gets to say that without warnings or bans, 2) it's a recurring pattern instead of an isolated comment and 3) it's in response to much more politely and eloquently expressed views, intended to ridicule and silence.

So yeah, it's definitely bullying. That's not a category reserved solely for "you're fat and ugly and I hope you kill yourself" type of thing.
1) Bull****.
2) Funnily enough, being wrong, ignorant, and stubborn can result in more than one person calling you on such.
3) Just because isn't personally offensive to you doesn't mean it's "polite", and we clearly have different definitions of "eloquent" as well.

I'll grant that the intent is absolutely to ridicule and silence, though! That's all you've got left when someone refuses to argue in good faith. Suffering social consequences for poor behavior is still not bullying, though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.