Author Topic: Trumpety Nuttery Trumpety Trumps  (Read 53540 times)

Enioch and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Trumpety Nuttery Trumpety Trumps
Don't let the joke go over too much above your head, jr2.

Although I do think that liberals ended up believing in that motto too much themselves.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
That line doesn't really seem to be used in a self-depreciating manner, so, I'm assuming, at least to some extend, that people who post that actually believe it.  Reality is truth.  If your view is also truth, then you are aligned with reality, not the other way around.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Keep misunderstanding what it means jr2.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Aesaar

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:17:17 pm by Aesaar »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I see.  I must thank you for showing me that.  I really had not seen that term used aside from a few times where it seemed to be in a smug manner; it's too bad the darned interwebs are so awful at conveying the nuances of the attitude behind statements.  It's hard enough to parse when you have body language and voice inflection to help!  :D

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Scott Adams (yeah, the guy from Dilbert) seems convinced that Trump will win, and it seems like Politico now is starting to come around to his opinion:
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/how-donald-trump-defeats-hillary-clinton-217868
Scary. I took a brief binge through Politifact and found out a number of interesting things. Here is Trump's record:
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/
40% humbug, 21% utter humbug and how many true statements? One (for the record, this one is about Putin's high popularity in Russia). He has 5 more "mostly true" (usually indicates a honest mistake that didn't affect the point too much), one of which is quoting a tad outdated statistic on oil fields in Iraq, one is about parents spanking children and three others are pretty much personal attacks. Not a single one about immigration, where he manages to consistently score "pants on fire" and "false". He's got some relevant half-truths, but that's about it.

Clinton, on the other hand, does her research well:
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/hillary-clinton/
I can see quite a few humbugs on her side, too, but over a half of what she said is good, at least as far as Politifact can tell. A cursory reading makes them look more relevant than Trump's statements on spanking children (a whole lot is about guns and gun industry).

And yet, people are betting on Trump. Clearly, truth is just like oil, as the old saying goes. :) Not only can it be cracked, refined and distilled into something that doesn't resemble the original very much, it's also much more valuable in that condition.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Currently modeling SG Rahu and FREDding for Scroll
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Scott Adams (yeah, the guy from Dilbert) seems convinced that Trump will win, and it seems like Politico now is starting to come around to his opinion:

I have no idea why black voters aren't rallying behind the guy who literally marched on Washington with Dr. King and has been fighting for economic justice ever since instead of this nasty piece of work.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I kinda wish at least one candidate had some modest understanding about encryption/security, or at least listened to literally anyone who did, instead of saying what are basically FBI talking points.

Unfortunately, they all have scary bad knowledge regarding it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:53:15 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Unfortunately, it's not only candidates who have no idea about cybersecurity. Granted, of all people they should, but seeing what is the usual approach of an average person to cybersecurity, this is hardly surprising. "Swordfish" would be considered an imaginative password considering things that are usually used...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, sorry to say it everyone, but Trump just scored the ultimate endorsement. it's all over, we might as well start building that wall now.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
    • Steam
bahahahaha
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
well, sorry to say it everyone, but Trump just scored the ultimate endorsement. it's all over, we might as well start building that wall now.

Remember when everyone said there's no way Trump could win the Republican nomination?

If I was a GOP member, I'd be freaking out right about now.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Luis Dias

I'd be freaking out if I were an american, period.

Offline -Joshua-

I'd be freaking out all over the world! Problems in the US tend to have global consequences (esp. when those problems involve their foreign poliicies).

Let's freak out together!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
    • Steam

Offline Cyborg17

• That guy
Thing is, he will never win the general election.  If you thought he was bringing people out of the woodwork to support him, just wait until you see who is brought out of the woodwork to vote against him.  If he's nominated, there will be record turnout.

Offline Luis Dias

"He's never gonna get the GOP nomination, don't you worry about the guy, he'll be over in a few months" (May 2015)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
The problem is he's up against Hillary who is rather polarising in her own right.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Exactly. It's not enough that people don't vote for Trump. They also have to vote for Clinton, who currently doesn't seem very popular to me. Additionally, I recall that she shown a feminist attitude that was dangerously close to female chauvinism. She also argued heavily (at least judging by her Politifact record) against guns. I have a feeling that in the current situation, this is not what American public wants to hear.

Right now, I see Trump as a likely winner. Between his opponent, his rhetoric and his persuasion skills, he actually has a good shot at getting elected president. Some people will be surprised if that happens, I won't.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
She's shown whatever attitude was most politically expedient at the moment. She strikes me as being an absolutely typical politician and that just happens to be the angle she's working with at the moment because she thinks it'll get her the most votes.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3