Author Topic: Oculus Rift price announced  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Oculus Rift price announced
Boy, did they screw the pooch with this one.

It's been announced at $600 / £500 / €700 when previously they had stated that it would be "in the ballpark of $350".
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:05:57 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Oculus Rift price announced
That's at least 2400 zloty for me... looks like no Oculus Rift for me anytime soon. :( That's without the (expensive) overseas shipping and taxes. We could likely afford it as a family, but we have more pressing things to spend that kind of money on. I'd rather go on a sail training course (which you can do for that kind of money, and it won't be a low-quality course, either).

I hope the price will drop after a while (maybe after it actually starts to ship). I'd gladly ditch the XBox controller and the games if I could (could easily get the games on some sale, later on, and a CH HOTAS will beat a gamepad any day, IMO). If I could get a Rift headset without those tidbits, it could as become affordable. Well, that, and Polish Zloty has been especially worthless as of late (over 4 PLN to 1$), I remember the time when the exchange rate was closer to 3 PLN for 1$. 350$ would've made 1400 zloty, which isn't cheap, either, but a reasonable exchange rate could bring it down to a bit more than 1000 PLN (not that we're going to get a reasonable exchange rate anytime soon, they way things are going...).

If not, I will just wait till used ones start floating around. Within a year or two they should be possible to acquire a second-hand Rift. The price will likely still be hefty, but not hopelessly so.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Yea...

350, I might have considered it.  But 600 USD...

Methinks I'm gonna wait for someone else to find the bugs and/or wait for version 1.x/2.x

The 'freebies' that ship with it interest me not.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

I feel like the Rift kind of lost steam when the HTC Vive (Steam VR) was announced. With this price point, I'll definitely be looking forward more to that.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
As far as I'm concerned valve's hardware (in general) leaves a lot to be desired, and I don't think we have any reason to expect steam vr to be cheaper than the rift. I'm just hoping that this is an early adopter price tag; things will get cheaper and technology will improve as adoption widens.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:12:23 pm by Polpolion »

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I'm still unconvinced VR is anything more than a fancier gimmick than 3D.  I've not used one, so maybe it turns out surprisingly good like the 3DS, but my working assumption is I would find it annoying.  Won't games need to be specifically designed for it also?
I like to stare at the sun.

https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/cart/

Good luck VR.  People didn't want to buy a Ps3 for that price, they going to buy a headset? The Oculus was originally stated to be in the 350 USD ballpark.

Total Biscuit talks about the price for some 30 minutes but haven't given it a listen yet. From his twitter I think he probably tries to justify it.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The HTC Vive is supposed to be equal to the Oculus Rift in their shared specs (resolution, fov, refresh rate, etc.). It's also aiming at a segment above the Oculus Rift, which probably means they'll aim for 800 or 900 dollars.

The idea of affordable VR for 2016 died yesterday it seems. Unless you like cellphones.

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Palmer Luckey, Occulus' CEO, once said that if they can't get it to market for under 300 USD, they shouldn't even try.

Guess that went out the window at some point.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Well apparently last September he was saying the 350 USD ballpark for the Rift.
Listening to TB now, he's correctly saying 600 USD is not in the ballpark whatsoever and that's probably why people are pissed off. 

Personally can't ever see myself getting something like this was a price tag like that even if the motion sickness were fixed.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The big thing I'm hung up on is that the hardware required to run VR games with good fluent graphics and such is also not really cheap. A full VR set, excluding a standard monitor, is probably in the 1800 to 2500 USD range; if that's the sort of ballpark figure needed to get into VR, I don't expect it to become a thing for at least another year or two (There's a new GPU generation coming this year that could shake things up a little in that regard).

Ooops I see there's another thread in GD. Would expect that a gaming headset discussion would be in the gaming forum. Guess not. Though of course people can watch whatever they want on there.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Merged the two threads.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Ooops I see there's another thread in GD. Would expect that a gaming headset discussion would be in the gaming forum. Guess not. Though of course people can watch whatever they want on there.

I actually had that doubt before posting, but since Facebook bought Oculus, they've been adamant that they have uses beyond gaming for it, so I posted in GD. :p

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I'm still unconvinced VR is anything more than a fancier gimmick than 3D.  I've not used one, so maybe it turns out surprisingly good like the 3DS, but my working assumption is I would find it annoying.  Won't games need to be specifically designed for it also?

There is definitely 100% a non-gimmick market for VR in driving and flight simulators, technology permitting. These are already markets where people are used to spending assloads on peripherals so occulus may even survive without wider adoption.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Nintendo's been pioneering VR and AR with consumer products ever since the Virtual Boy. With both the 3DS and Wii U, the internal accellerometers already create the experience of looking around a virtual world while holding the device. (Why don't we have a Pokemon Snap sequel yet??) I'd like to see them enter into partnership or (more likely) independently develop something like this.

Head-mounting these things could cause a lot of issues until they get better stabilization technology, though. They're not perfect and the wobble/lag could get really dizzying if I had these screens mounted right on my face. Ultimately I would expect to see miniaturized eye tracking technology to fully integrate what you see with what you do.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
There is definitely 100% a non-gimmick market for VR in driving and flight simulators, technology permitting. These are already markets where people are used to spending assloads on peripherals so occulus may even survive without wider adoption.
Any game that uses head tracking can use VR in a similar way. Driving and flight sims are special in that using VR for them is not only of interest of gamers, but also of professionals using those programs for training. Likewise, I would expect the next RV engine (ArmA games, but also the professional VBS training sim series) to have a few advanced features for use with VR. While a PC with a VR headset and controllers isn't quite the same as a full-scale simulation lab, it's surely a lot cheaper than that.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
To add to that, one of the uses of these headsets that seemed nice, would be to simulate virtual desktops. Instead of having to do some hand input or actually having multiple physical screens you could just... look at the other virtual screen in your headset.

Of course now at the price they've announced, it's probably cheaper to just buy the physical screens. :p At least until a said number.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
With tax and shipping the cost is around 740 euros. That cost is without motion controllers + second camera, that will be another 200 euros on top of it. And I doubt Vive will be any cheaper.

It is not expensive enough to dissuade me from ordering a VR headset. But it is expensive enough to make me proceed with caution and wait for in-depth reviews of both Rift and Vive before ordering. Now I feel like it was a bit premature to sell my DK2..
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Hi all. Some friends and I have started a kickstarter fundraiser to raise funds for a "bounty" to incorporate Oculus support into the latest iteration of the Freespace Open and all mods and conversions of that game currently using the latest launcher. The intent of the fundraiser is to demonstrate to the hard-light coding community the considerable interest in VR support, to reward coders who successfully incorporate native oculus support into these games, and to help reimburse them for their time and cost of purchasing oculus headsets.

I've created a new thread for discussion of the fundraiser and to get started forming a team. Here's the link:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=92173.new#new

To be clear, I plan to give all proceeds from the fundraiser to those who can produce a working product with native oculus support. Meaning that my time is entirely volunteered. I'll step up to a leadership position if noone else wants to, but I feel that someone with hands-on experience working with the programming is better suited to that role. So, I'll probably just be acting as a moderator there.

Here's the link to our kickstarter page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1088135691/oculus-vr-support-for-the-freespace-space-combat-s?ref=nav_search

Tell your friends!