Author Topic: And you thought Iran and N Korea were good at trolling  (Read 1842 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
And you thought Iran and N Korea were good at trolling
Something Dekker ran across on Facebook

So what is wrong with this picture

According to Hamas, this is an Israeli Merkava tank which they have "captured and rebuilt".
Good job Hamas!
Next time please bear in mind tho that
1) ours are not made out of wood and
2) they don't run on wheels either.

But nice effort!
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: And you thought Iran and N Korea were good at trolling
Nice. :) It looks like a BTR disguised to look like a rough impression of the Merkava. This is not exactly an uncommon tactic, it looks good enough to spoof distant observers. What is an uncommon tactic is parading those dummies in front of crowds of people, as opposed to putting a bunch of them at a decoy depot that the enemy planes are likely to overfly. Nice going there, Hamas. :lol: I'd really like to see them try to drive it into combat...

Offline qwadtep

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Yer I saw that one, both hilarious and discusting
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Really, that is beyond ridiculous. :) Do they still expect to be treated seriously after that? I suppose it could have been the result of "bring your kids to work day" at the NK ministry of propaganda truth... :)

At first I laughed my ass off :lol: but after a while.... I realized that we did something similar <in terms of building stuff from wood and plastic>

At first I laughed my ass off :lol: but after a while.... I realized that we did something similar <in terms of building stuff from wood and plastic>

<snip>

Composite armour makes anything look ridiculous, but it still works. Usually.

<snip>

Composite armour makes anything look ridiculous, but it still works. Usually.

Yeah, of course. But the thing is, that the tank on the pic above...doesn't exist. It's not even a product of engineers, just graphic artists. It's just a CV-90 with some wood and plastic slapped on the chassis. Calling this a "tank" is also a mistake. It's not MBT nor IFV. Also unlikely that it will ever get outside the concept phase <our defense industry is one big mess, crippled by corrupted greedy idiots, idlers and politicians. We learned that the hard way when it turned out that one of our factories couldn't weld a simple chassis for new SPGs properly. We were forced to buy a license for Korean K-9's ones>. But still a lot of people got hyped about it. Which is pretty sad. I will stay pessimistic until they move this anywhere further.

Besides.. that shape. Without tracks it could make a cool hover tank for FS ;)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Honestly, PL-01 is a pretty neat concept. I've got high hopes for it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Yes, the ideas they would like to implement into the project are awesome<especially hiding the thermal emissions of the vehicle and the active defense>. These technologies will be developed further anyway, but the vehicle itself is not likely to be introduced into service <not in that form>. In my opinion instead of developing new class of vehicle we should make a new IFV (as we still use old BMP-1 junk death traps) using the new thermal  masking and active defense technologies. That's a bigger priority IMO.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This mockup looks like it'd be right at home in Crysis (or many other sci-fi FPSes). :) It's a nice design, though it clearly looks like something designed by a graphic artist.

You know, in the West (and in Russia, as a matter of fact), such designs are common at the "early concept" stage, but the artists usually get a modeling program to make spiffy renders of their ideas instead. Poland being what it is, they had to do with gluing plywood onto a CV-90. :)

It would probably fool more people than the one Hamas made, at least. And yes, even if you did forget to paint over the great big "CONCEPT" sign on the side.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

[Image]

The difference is that the PL-01 was built as a prototype of the tank's shape and has been part of tank design process since the inter-war period.  The PL-01 mock up will be used to study potential issues in the shape and correct them before they start building it out of very expensive materials.

The Hamas machine is a pure propaganda piece