Author Topic: '5D' discs can store data until well after the sun burns out  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Re: '5D' discs can store data until well after the sun burns out
Well I know what I am storing my Season 1 of Digimon on  ;). Pretty incredible though.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I hope I can store anything I have on these as well :D
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
360 TB per disc
...Wow. Okay, but what's the access speed on that?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
sounds like the data is retrieved via measuring light polarization, so my guess would be pretty fast, and highly scaleable.
the big drawback seems to be it's hard to write to, so this would be at least initially a read only data storage technology.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think it's going to stay read-only. This sort of stuff is mainly archival, anyway.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
In the three years since their first demonstration, they've essentially perfected the recording technique and have since recorded the entirety of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), Newton's Opticks, Magna Carta and Kings James Bible.

So maybe 1 MB of data then?

Does the writer really think that the people reading their site are so computer illiterate that we don't know how much space it takes to store text? The Magna Carta is like one side of A4. It's a readme file. :p

Why not tell me how many seasons of The Simpsons it can hold instead? Cause the choice of data they talked about suggests that the 360 TB limit is theoretical rather than the much smaller actual limit.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I think it's going to stay read-only. This sort of stuff is mainly archival, anyway.

oh, you think a technology described as hyper resilient to the point of outlasting the sun and star formed from the remains of the sun and the star from that one's ashes, might be difficult to modify to be mutable?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have that feeling, yes.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I tend to take this sort of claim with a salt shaker rather than just a pinch. I remember watching Tomorrow's World where they demonstrated this new hyper-resilient storage medium by pouring honey on it and then just wiping it off to have it work perfectly.

Of course these days we all know that you're probably just going to **** up your music collection if you try that with your CDs. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'll believe the longevity claims once they have some hard data to back it up. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hey if my MP3s are not still playable 4.9 billion years from now I'm gonna sue!
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I read something recently that made a pretty solid and not often talked about point toward the whole long-term data storage thing.  The medium isn't even really the problem.  It's formats and standards.  Think of the kinds of programs and files created just a couple decades ago that are already obsolete and difficult or impossible to access on modern hardware and software.  Where is there a card stack reader outside of a museum these days?  Who has a computer with a tape deck reader?  Or even a floppy drive?  Hell, I've got papers I wrote in high school saved in a format that was a competitor to MS word that's long gone.  The only way I have to open those now is try to find the original install disk from the mid 90s at my parents' house.  Now extrapolate that hundreds or thousands of years to the future.  Just saving digital data isn't really going to do us much good.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I read something recently that made a pretty solid and not often talked about point toward the whole long-term data storage thing.  The medium isn't even really the problem.  It's formats and standards.  Think of the kinds of programs and files created just a couple decades ago that are already obsolete and difficult or impossible to access on modern hardware and software.  Where is there a card stack reader outside of a museum these days?  Who has a computer with a tape deck reader?  Or even a floppy drive?  Hell, I've got papers I wrote in high school saved in a format that was a competitor to MS word that's long gone.  The only way I have to open those now is try to find the original install disk from the mid 90s at my parents' house.  Now extrapolate that hundreds or thousands of years to the future.  Just saving digital data isn't really going to do us much good.

That's of course true to a lot of formats, and if for whatever reason you needed to save something to last a really long time, you should do it in some kind of really basic format. Assuming that the future audience is interested enough in your data to spend a bit of effort on decoding it and has at least enough technical competence as us, they ought to be quite capable of figuring out that your text file is encoded with UTF-8 which history says was all the rage back around 2000, or that your image file is just a rectangular block of raw 8bpp pixel data.

Rare proprietary binary formats might be inaccessible, unless they have the dusty archives of the old world preserved and an assistant AI which they can set to the task of figuring it out, but it seems likely that knowledge regarding the structure of most common basic file formats and standards today will survive anything except major technological collapse, or at least long enough that no one would be interested in it anymore anyway.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
If it can store up to 360 TB via physical dimensions, the best format is probably physically-generated audio anyway.  It's compressible, and then all you need is the hardware.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That does sound pretty interesting, but I suppose it isn't something that's going to be boxed up in a hard drive case. :) It'd be nice for archivists and the like, anyway.

Does the writer really think that the people reading their site are so computer illiterate that we don't know how much space it takes to store text? The Magna Carta is like one side of A4. It's a readme file. :p

Why not tell me how many seasons of The Simpsons it can hold instead? Cause the choice of data they talked about suggests that the 360 TB limit is theoretical rather than the much smaller actual limit.
I think that they meant that they stored the images of those. As in ultra-HD scans of the documents. I've seen that for some reason, people in that field not only want to archive raw text, they want exact scans of the source documents, often in an absurd resolution.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
That does sound pretty interesting, but I suppose it isn't something that's going to be boxed up in a hard drive case. :) It'd be nice for archivists and the like, anyway.

I think that they meant that they stored the images of those. As in ultra-HD scans of the documents. I've seen that for some reason, people in that field not only want to archive raw text, they want exact scans of the source documents, often in an absurd resolution.
When I did germanic philology sometimes there were different transcripts of the same text from the same manuscript, medieval writing often was meant more to look pretty than intelligible and when it wasn't pretty, it was a botched attempt at looking it so even worse in terms of intelligibility, the raw scans are necessary to avoid artifacts that can mislead attempts to interpret what is written, and while a lot of handwritten or early printed texts fare better they stil have enough room for misinterpretation to warrant a very high res scan for preservation purposes.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That makes sense, though I don't think UDHR really merits the same treatment as Magna Carta or King James' Bible. :) I didn't see how the actual writing in Opticks (as opposed to the first page) looks like, but from my experience, stuff from that time tends to be fairly readable as well, if you're willing to get past antiquated orthography and other quirks of the era.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
That makes sense, though I don't think UDHR really merits the same treatment as Magna Carta or King James' Bible. :) I didn't see how the actual writing in Opticks (as opposed to the first page) looks like, but from my experience, stuff from that time tends to be fairly readable as well, if you're willing to get past antiquated orthography and other quirks of the era.
That's debatable, even if it's not "important" they still have archeologic value and such preservation efforts are also for that purpose not just for preserving the text itself, a low res scan may delete quirks in the way a text has been printed that would be invaluable to some researchers and this wihtout having to get the text itself out of its vault.

You learn a lot about those things when you study literature, if I wasn't stuck trying to learn enough of a third language I couldn't study before my twenties (small island school, so only english teachers) to get my degree I'd probably be diving into that kind of research that involves manuscripts and old printed copies, sigh.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:15:52 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

WordPerfect or WordStar?  Anyways, go to Vetusware.  Amazing collection of abandonware.

Need an OS to run that old software?  Same site.

Not sure where all that stands as far as legality, but I believe you are allowed to have copies of things for archival purposes, correct?  Gray area, anyways, so be aware of that.