Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story  (Read 15444 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Many forget that Rey is stubbornly clinging to a false hope, when she had a vision she was scared out of her wits and that at least once she goofed a bit (like when she forgot her blaster's safety on), I had the unfortunate experience of reading a real Mary Sue character once (when my little brother showed me a RPG session on a Harry potter forum he moderated just to show me what he had to deal with), these kinds of characters aren't just unexpectedly good at things, they are literally perfect and omnipotent, a real Mary sue would have probably made a force jump through the chasm and finished Kylo Ren or have been able to use force lightning without falling to the Dark Side first or something like it.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah, Luke is a very archetypical "hero" character (no thanks to countless characters based on him, though the archetype itself is much older), but by no means a "Gary Stu". He did manage some pretty amazing stuff, the Force was with him and all that, but when going against another Force user such as Vader, he was pretty much failing miserably until the very end of RoTJ. Indeed, his journey from "farmboy with a lightsaber and favor of The Force" to "Jedi Knight" was a major point of the OT. We don't know where the new trilogy will take things, but it seems that Rey will undergo a similar journey. SW characters do have a lot of luck (or are guided by The Force, take your pick), but it usually only gets them through their first movie. Both Luke and Anakin got their asses kicked in their second movies, and I expect the same to happen to Rey.

BTW, similarities between Luke and Anakin are unlikely to be a coincidence. They share many of the same flaws. I got the feeling that Anakin fell to the exact same character flaws Luke eventually managed to overcome. One heck of a coincidence, if you ask me, I'd be surprised if it wasn't intentional. In fact, considering the role Vader plays in the OT, basing Anakin directly on Luke, but having him fail at the crucial moment seems almost like a no-brainer.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Right, I forgot to tag the sarcasm.

I was mocking the quality of the prequels' writing, Dragon.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
That was meant to point out that if Rey is a Mary Sue, Luke is a Gary Stu.  One cannot be without the other fitting as well.  I don't think either fit as archetypical author-insertion-but-magically-perfect characters, which the label ordinarily conveys.  Rey is better written than Luke mostly because we get a sense of who she is and what she's feeling throughout the film, versus Luke's almost complete lack of mourning for the people who raise him and subsequent charge across the galaxy.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Oh come on. We get that you have issues with the original films but in TFA awakens we see Rey manage to fly the falcon perfectly first time we see her at the controls, fix the drives when even Han Solo didn't know what to do, and beat Kylo Ren the first time she handles a lightsabre.

You want to explain what Luke does which is even remotely comparable?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
It's bene a while since I watched ANH, but didn't he fly a fighter spacecraft flawlessly the first time he was sat in it? so he's got that
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I have no idea where he learned but he does say to Han that he's a pretty good pilot. So it's not the first time he's flown, perhaps not even the first time he's flown something small enough to learn fighter skills.

Offline qwadtep

Luke was a Skyhopper jockey back on Tatooine, along with Biggs.

I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And as we all know, flying a crop duster biplane does qualify you to hop into an F-16 and do precision bombing.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Luke manages to do Force Mind tricks at the beginning of his 3rd film and after seeing someone else do it. Rey does it after 40 minutes without even knowing what the Force was. Totally not Mary Sue.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Luke didn't really try until his 3rd film (seems like he was doing well enough without it, too). He does use the Force to aim his torpedoes at the end, also with little training (though more than Rey, admittedly).
And as we all know, flying a crop duster biplane does qualify you to hop into an F-16 and do precision bombing.
In SW universe, it seems that it actually does. :) Or almost does. Old EU was full of similar examples. In general, it would seems that flying in SW is about as hard as driving a car with an automatic transmission.
Right, I forgot to tag the sarcasm.
Yeah, you forgot it. Prequels had their problems, but they were not that badly written. The general idea behind the plot was actually pretty good, it's the execution that fell flat.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
The whole Mary/Gary Sue tangent was rather thoroughly processed in the actual FTA thread, you know. There's nothing left to say about it.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Oh come on. We get that you have issues with the original films but in TFA awakens we see Rey manage to fly the falcon perfectly first time we see her at the controls, fix the drives when even Han Solo didn't know what to do, and beat Kylo Ren the first time she handles a lightsabre.

You want to explain what Luke does which is even remotely comparable?

Kylo Ren is not Darth Vader.  He is not as skilled as Darth Vader, he is not as strong as Darth Vader.  This is explicitly stated in the movie.  The beats of the story are pretty obviously set up to make Rey's fight with Ren the same realization that the Force is the answer as Luke turning off his targeting computer.  EDIT: Oh yeah, and he'd just been ****ing shot a few minutes ago.

I'd call that "remotely similar".
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:13:10 am by Scotty »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
First time she uses a lightsabre!

I don't care that Kylo Ren isn't a strong as Vader, the fact that she does that having done all the other stuff she is surprisingly good at is what pushes her into Mary Sue territory.

Luke does one thing very well in A New Hope. Something we've already established in the movie that he can do well. If some extended universe bull**** makes that seem unlikely by giving Luke a backstory inconsistent with him being a good pilot, that's a problem with the EU bull****, not the film.

Luke is a good pilot who acts like hitting a 2m port while flying a space fighter is no big thing. So it's not incongruous that he actually manages to do it.

That is nowhere close to a complete novice winning a lightsabre fight against someone strong enough in the force to stop laser blasts. Even if Kylo Ren's training is incomplete, he should have done a lot better!

If that was the only time Rey had done that though, I'd forgive it. But we also have the 3 other issues brought up.

She flys like an ace!
She repairs like an ace!
She learns the jedi mind trick out of nowhere!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:31:28 am by karajorma »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Someone who had just been ****ing shot!  Not regular shot, because Chewie's bowcaster doesn't "merely" shoot people.

And this, in a setting where a universal force, one might say, is wielded by those who can instinctually grasp it.  A force which has been demonstrated to lend itself improbably well to the task of flying literally anything, and which has also been explicitly stated to be strong in Rey.

You act like she has no character flaws and makes no mistakes.  She does.  That's disqualification from Sue status immediately.  Her abilities are not inexplicable.

EDIT: Once again, contrast with a real Sue.  If you're not familiar with Honor Harrington you should look her up to get an idea.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Harrington makes mistakes too. Her bad temper is specifically stated as a character flaw (one which has on two occasions made her enemies who then tried to kill her!) And most of her abilities are explained by her genetic alterations. So I guess no one is a Mary Sue then.

But the issue isn't whether Rey is a Mary Sue or not, but whether she's significantly overpowered for the universe. And she is.

Shot or not, Kylo Ren attempts a force pull on Luke's lightsabre and loses to someone who not only has no training in the force, who not only was just smacked 40 foot through the air and knocked out, but who IIRC has never even seen a force pull before!

I mean, if we're going to include Kylo Ren's wound in the equation, why are we ignoring Rey's probable concussion and/or internal injuries? Hell, we never even see her shake her head or look groggy!

Rey manages to pull a lightsabre a good 20m, with enough force to make another force user who is focused on the same object have to duck.

Luke on the other hand, in similar conditions struggles to grab a lightsabre barely out of his reach with no opposition, whatever training he did in the force on Hoth, and a monster coming to eat him.

EDIT: While we're at it, what hell character flaw does Rey have anyway? Cause the only one I can see is her desire to wait on Jakku. That might count if it wasn't fixed halfway through the film by having one conversation with someone she met 5 minutes earlier.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:53:28 am by karajorma »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Honor Harrington's "bad temper" is an excellent example of an informed characteristic.  I defy you to name one instance where she becomes angry beyond reason or out of proportion toward (which is, one might say, the defining attribute of a bad temper, otherwise it's just a normal temper) any protagonist character.  The only times she's ever angry, the objects of her scorn have been deliberately set up in the narrative to be human ****stains that deserve everything coming to them.  Seriously, if you can name one counter example I will be genuinely impressed.  I think I know which ones you're thinking about, and after one of them she was knighted, given a stack of medals, and made a noble in two different space nations not even ten minutes after her reprimand.

I did not set the bar high when I mentioned Honor Harrington. :P  Shall we inventory the character, for those who might not be familiar following the thread?

And I'll quote from TV Tropes on the general consensus definition of "Mary Sue" so following along is easier.  Obviously, the quoted text is centered on fan fiction uses, but I'm sure we can ignore the concept of 'canon' characters for the moment.

The prototypical Mary Sue is an original female character in a fanfic who obviously serves as an idealized version of the author mainly for the purpose of Wish Fulfillment. She's exotically beautiful, often having an unusual hair or eye color, and has a similarly cool and exotic name. She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas, and may possess skills that are rare or nonexistent in the canon setting. She also lacks any realistic, or at least story-relevant, character flaws — either that or her "flaws" are obviously meant to be endearing.

She has an unusual and dramatic Back Story. The canon protagonists are all overwhelmed with admiration for her beauty, wit, courage and other virtues, and are quick to adopt her as one of their True Companions, even characters who are usually antisocial and untrusting; if any character doesn't love her, that character gets an extremely unsympathetic portrayal. She has some sort of especially close relationship to the author's favorite canon character — their love interest, illegitimate child, never-before-mentioned sister, etc. Other than that, the canon characters are quickly reduced to awestruck cheerleaders, watching from the sidelines as Mary Sue outstrips them in their areas of expertise and solves problems that have stymied them for the entire series. (See Common Mary Sue Traits for more detail on any of these cliches.)

Exotically beautiful?  Check. (The phrase 'almond-shaped eyes' is practically a trademark for David Weber; she is extraordinarily tall)
Similarly cool and exotic name?  Her name is literally Honor.
She's exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas?  This one deserves a list.
  • Starship command/Tactics.  This one is pretty necessary, so it gets a pass by itself.
  • Fleet command/Strategy.  Likewise pretty necessary, but I feel like special attention should be given to her repeated descriptions as one of the best to ever live on the subject.
  • Martial arts.  Still believable, but once more noteworthy for being one of the universe's foremost expert on her chosen style.
  • Sword fighting.  O....kay?  Not just good at it, either, but truly exceptional.  Once defeated a grand master as a novice in a deathmatch in one stroke.  No, I'm not joking.
  • Hang gliding.  Okay, it's a hobby.  She's damn good at it, but hobbies are allowed.
  • Piloting.  She set the academy record for... I forget exactly which record she set, but she did it in a "sailplane".  Honorable mention for being one of the (if not the actual) top of her class at the academy, because of course she is.  She was also roomates with the Queen's sister, because of course she was.
  • Teaching.  Speaking of the academy, she becomes one of its finest instructors.
  • Governance.  Still believable, but definitely starting to edge into "what can't she do?" territory.  She's a Duchess in her state of birth, a Steadholder (basically a fancy name for a Duchess) in her adoptive state, before that she was a Count in her state of birth awarded for an entirely different act of valor and heroism.
  • Politics.  Mentioned here after Governance because they're definitely distinct, and also because it's the start of the descent into ridiculousness.  For someone who really hated it to start the series, she ends up being one of the cleverest and most politically astute individuals in an entire empire of billions!
  • Dueling.  Edging into the "why is she so good at this?" category, Honor is also the best duelist ever to take the field, at one point killing a notorious and infamous dueling assassin before he was able to raise his gun because she shot perfectly from the hip.  Which leads into...
  • Ancient firearms.  Honor is potentially the best (and fastest) sharpshooter in the setting with literally 2,000 year old gunpowder handguns because why the hell not?
  • Treecats.  Edging back into "this is understandable" territory for a bit, Honor is the setting's foremost expert on Treecats.  Given her upbringing, this is not surprising, but it leads into...
  • Telempathy.  Honor is the first human telempath in a setting where they previously did not exist.  She can determine without fail when someone is lying, and sense their emotions even without her also telempathic Treecat companion.  Speaking of which...
  • Treecat colonization.  Honor is the catalyst and enabler of Treecats spreading to other planets, because why the hell not?  Again.
  • Instinctive navigation.  Back away from the realm of the barely understood, Honor hates math and is bad at it.  Except for the part where she can determine the optimal course for a hundred thousand ton warship threading between busy travel lanes, while disabling a potential threat with her ship's propulsion system all at the same time.  Oh, and did I mention she does this faster than her ship's computer?  Because she does.

Well, that's a hell of a list, isn't it?  Perhaps I shouldn't mention her cybernetic arm and eye, which are of course better than normal people's body parts.  Or maybe her polygamous marriage to her birth country's most senior admiral and also to its most famous entertainment star?  No, certainly not necessary to the point.  But maybe the part where she's a genetically engineered superhuman who can eat whatever she wants and never gain weight?  Or that her homeworld was extra high gravity so she grew up stronger than everyone else just because.

Now that that's out of the way, let's take a look at Rey.

Exotically beautiful?  She's a fairly attractive woman, but otherwise not noteworthy for her looks alone.
Similarly cool and exotic name?  This is Star Wars, Rey is practically on the boring side of mundane.
Exceptionally talented in an implausibly wide variety of areas?  For helpful comparison, the list again.
  • Starship piloting.  We don't know a lot about Rey's early life, but she flew the Falcon well the first time behind the controls.  Then again, we've seen force-sensitive pilots kick-ass in the pilot seat literally without exception in Star Wars.  The closest you can come to a counter-example is Obi-Wan, who merely dislikes flying but is still good at it.  We even get to hear her, when talking about the flight afterward, say that she has no idea she could do that.  At least she's older than 10.
  • Lightsaber combat.  Possibly the only one I'm willing to concede is improbable on the face of it, her opponent was wounded not once but twice before she even picked it up, and her opponent was not trying to defeat her in earnest.  Then again, The Force.  She showed some skill in combat with her staff thing on Jakku.
  • Repair and maintenance.  Her entire lot in life is literally scavenging and repairing equipment.  Of all the things she's good at, this is the one I damn well hope she's good at, since it's all she does. :P
  • Force usage.  Rey resists Kylo Ren's attempt to enter her mind and instinctively turns the tables.  I wonder where I've seen that before.  Admittedly not the same setting, but it lays the foundation for what comes next, like her use of a mind trick or her telekinesis (obligatory reminder that Ren was seriously wounded).
  • Shooting blasters.  She does this like four times, and is only half-way good at it, but I feel like it should be on the list anyway.  It at least makes it look more like she could compare to Honor's massive List of Bull**** above.

What else is significant and interesting about Rey that doesn't fit into her list of skills?  That's... pretty much it, no?  She's force sensitive, obviously, but that's par for the course in a Star Wars movie.  She's an otherwise normal human girl who up until the movie started had an uninteresting life and a skill set that is not even merely normal but expected for her occupation.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:46:43 pm by Scotty »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Force sensitive people being preternaturally capable at a range of skills ordinary sapients take ages to master is a feature of the setting, not a flaw of the character.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I can absolutely understand not liking Rey; not liking something does not make it bad.

Offline Luis Dias

I don't know why people are defending Rey's Mary Sueness. It managed to wreck my suspension of disbelief for a few seconds where I just went "Really". And it's not like I'm not used to incredible overpowered surprises in characters (hell I'm a fan of DragonBall for ****'s sake). But if I were to compare and contrast with something "like" DragonBall, every time Goku or another character does something unexpectedly amazing and unbelievable (like mastering the Kamehameha in a minute while master Roshi took 50 years to do so), the characters themselves acknowledge it and make it part of the story ("How the hell did this guy do this, it should have been impossible!"), but never in TFA we get to see this acknowledgment, Rey seems to be somewhat surprised at what she can do, but we never see the "That is impossible" reaction from others, which would have saved it.

But even then, master pilot? Master engineer? Master swordfighter? WITH NO TRAINING?

Luke knew one thing that was established at the beggining of ANH. He had some training in the Force by a real master of it, they took the time to play all of those scenes of training. Even still, only in the second movie we see him start mastering force pulls and so on, and harsher training by Yoda. In the entirety of ANH except that last sequence, nothing that Luke does is out of the ordinary.

Rey, otoh, just knows too much.

Doesn't mean I didn't like her. I did! I liked her a lot, I completely agree that she's a better played character than Luke, and that's why this Mary Sueness bugs me. If I didn't like her, I wouldn't give a damn. But "written"? No. Too many things she knows. She pulls it off by being a great actress that constantly shows bewilderment in a believable way regarding her abilities, but even still I did utter "Really?".

And the way Solo passed the torch to her was so badly written. They could have saved it. Solo could have said something like "Well, it's yours" "No ... way, why?" "Well... you seem to know her well... and after all you did find her." A scene not unlike his giving the MF to Lando, where's he's all like "HAVE her, it's the best ship in the fleet", Lando is all "OK" and you see Solo battling himself with his own decision, "not one scratch"... still with doubts. This was a guy he knew for years! And who proved himself loyal by his decisions in V and VI. But here in TFA, no biggie. Just have her. I was looking for someone to take the mantle, and you seem ok. ****s sake. Terrible writing. Despite that in the beggining we saw for how long Solo was trying to find his ship and putting himself at risk by doing so!

And then at the end we figure out she's way more important to Leia than Chewbacca. Ok, what the flying ****.

Oh and why not end it with she getting the mission to find Luke and hand him his Light Saber. Where the **** was her SISTER? Doing more important things than finding her own brother, who apparently is a really VIP in the galaxy for the subsequent struggle against the New Order and the new Siths in town? "Oh that's fine we'll send this rookie here, she's the best we got for this job of climbing a hill to find my brother and convince him that he's got better things to do than just standing there like an idiot to the oceans."

She didn't even need rescue! She even rescued herself. What. Were the writers afraid of the "Saving the Princess" Trope? Even though they did it so well in ANH? God damn. At this moment she can do anything! I won't be surprised if she manages to destroy a whole fleet by just thinking really hard! In ESB, there's this subtle scene where we see Luke and his copilot, and the copilot is all "I feel like I can destroy the whole empire by myself!" Luke jokes "I know that feeling", but it's a setup for a following scene where his copilot dies. It's really well written. It makes Luke fall to reality before he falls to the ground. What Lacan would have called "A cut to the Real", where one actually discovers they are mere mortals and death is just a second or a meter away, and you see it in their eyes.

Nothing like that ever happens in TFA. Solo dies but in a different theme (a well written one, alas), about Ren's ultimate decision to the Dark Side.

I could ramble for years on this, and I blame a terrible headache for the lack of structure of my comment. I will stop now.