Author Topic: Video game journalism and the Orlando Shootings  (Read 18369 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Video game journalism and the Orlando Shootings
Boy, you're really mad that other people have figured out how to be paid for their opinions and you haven't, huh?

Is being envious of con artists something you usually do?

To each their own.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
American gun culture is, obviously a massive, massive problem which carries a lot of direct blame for the massacre in Orlando, and I completely endorse anyone blaming the NRA. (The same can be said of Islamic homophobia, but based on The E's postings over the last few months I doubt I'll see him demanding that any mosques fly rainbow flags.) I don't think having games in which you shoot people, especially in a military setting, is really very relevant, given that for the entirety of human history a lot of entertainment has been about violence, and I think it's in very poor taste to start blaming people for the worst mass shooting in US history based on an inevitable coincidence.
In fact they don't speak about Disonhored 2 which is plenty violent but isn't gun-centric, the problem is that many military shooters are designed and/or marketed to pull at the gun fetishism and while the thing isn't wrong per se it makes having an E3 with a healthy dose of the genre at least a bit awkward.

Boy, you're really mad that other people have figured out how to be paid for their opinions and you haven't, huh?

Is being envious of con artists something you usually do?

To each their own.

By your criteria every literature academic is a con artist, as well as any film, music, literature and figurative art critic.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Had the article actually had insightful or even vaguely sensible things to say about gaming and gun culture I probably would have come round to agree with it. I really do detest gun fetishism. But it doesn't. It's just a bunch of vague, moralistic weasel words to the effect that "in Orlando, Omar Mateen killed people with a gun. In EA's new game, players kill people with a gun. This is horrible and insensitive. People die in real life and this is bad so entertainment that depicts people dying is bad." Like I said earlier: it is fundamentally no different to what Jack Thompson crusaded for.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

By your criteria every literature academic is a con artist, as well as any film, music, literature and figurative art critic.

There are literature academics and then there are games journalists.

And then there's the confusion of conflating the two.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

There are literature academics and then there are games journalists.

And then there's the confusion of conflating the two.
That's just being a snob that thinks games aren't high and mighty enough to withstand criticism, the only difference is that videogames are a young art form so there isn't a fully formed specialized academia yet and journalists being "pretentious" is just an attempt to form one, with films it happened more or less the same way.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Luis Dias

I never said that a games journalist can't be so good that he might as well qualify as a "literary academic".

I'm saying that generally, they totally aren't that. But they do behave pretensiously as if they have that title.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
FPS games producers have exactly zero moral obligation to respond or acknowledge this shooting. I mean, they could do a minute of silence for the victims, or they could just ignore it entirely as not relevant for a gaming conference, because it is not. Doesnt matter.

But, trying to guilt trip them into a "correct" response by such stupid article is unethical, IMHO. That "journalist" has a right to write anything he wants, and consumers have a right to call him a hack who insults hard working developers by his pseudo-moralistic BS, and tries to capitalize on a tragedy by chasing clicks.

Maybe games deserve a well made cultural criticism, but it will most certainly not come from these so called journalists who are the gaming press equivalent of a ****ty tabloid.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
FPS games producers have exactly zero moral obligation to respond or acknowledge this shooting. I mean, they could do a minute of silence for the victims, or they could just ignore it entirely as not relevant for a gaming conference, because it is not. Doesnt matter.

But, trying to guilt trip them into a "correct" response by such stupid article is unethical, IMHO. That "journalist" has a right to write anything he wants, and consumers have a right to call him a hack who insults hard working developers by his pseudo-moralistic BS, and tries to capitalize on a tragedy by chasing clicks.

Maybe games deserve a well made cultural criticism, but it will most certainly not come from these so called journalists who are the gaming press equivalent of a ****ty tabloid.
Except that if there is no moment of silence during a footbal match after some cop got stabbed by a hooligan people will ***** about it.

They do so because videogame marketing is notoriously blind and you if don't explain to them that marketing a horror game like "the game that will disgust your mum" without enough lampshading will come off as stupid and demeaning to gamers in general they just won't notice.

Also, remember the "Anime fan on prom night" debacle, those are people that are completely disconnected from reality and need to be reminded that good taste in advertising and real irony exist.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:13:26 am by Det. Bullock »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I love this place, We have gone from a quick heads up about TBs new subreddit, to the possible links between violent computer games and the Orlando Shooting with memes in less than 3 days and 44 posts
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:53:26 am by headdie »
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Luis Dias

Except that if there is no moment of silence during a footbal match after some cop got stabbed by a hooligan people will ***** about it.

Don't compare the incomparable. Hooligans are, alledgedly, football fans. A gay hating muslim has ... zero to do with the Call Of Duty fanbase.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I love this place, We have gone from a quick heads up about TBs new subreddit, to the possible links between violent computer games and the Orlando Shooting with memes in less than 3 days and 44 posts
I see AdmiralRalwood is applying the highest form of debate

(replace anime face with meme's etc, you know what I mean)

It's definitely been an amusing read though. So about that totalbiscuit subreddit...
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

Don't compare the incomparable. Hooligans are, alledgedly, football fans. A gay hating muslim has ... zero to do with the Call Of Duty fanbase.
I don't know, the american gun fetish seems like a pretty big element in common.

Offline 666maslo666

Obviously, football match and football hooligans are connected. FPS games and gay club shooting is not.

They do so because videogame marketing is notoriously blind and you if don't explain to them that marketing a horror game like "the game that will disgust your mum" without enough lampshading will come off as stupid and demeaning to gamers in general they just won't notice.

I dont really see anything wrong with that marketing. A bit childish, but not unethical at all.

Also, remember the "Anime fan on prom night" debacle, those are people that are completely disconnected from reality and need to be reminded that good taste in advertising and real irony exist.

I dont remember that debacle, but anyway, if some people need to be reminded about good taste, then do so. But nobody needs to be reminded about a gay bar shooting on a video game conference. It is just not relevant in that setting. Ignoring it in such context is not distasteful at all.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Luis Dias

I don't know, the american gun fetish seems like a pretty big element in common.

Between a vague, ethereal notion of "fetishness" about guns and this Orlando preacher who had just given a call to kill gays days before this shooting, and who the killer had just listened to, I see all the liberals picking the former as a culprit worth discussing.

Don't be stupefied with surprise gasps when the gay demo starts drifting to the right and towards Trump. It's because of such inanity that this will eventually happen.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Between a vague, ethereal notion of "fetishness" about guns and this Orlando preacher who had just given a call to kill gays days before this shooting, and who the killer had just listened to, I see all the liberals picking the former as a culprit worth discussing.

Don't be stupefied with surprise gasps when the gay demo starts drifting to the right and towards Trump. It's because of such inanity that this will eventually happen.

Isn't it a bit disingenuous to complain about commenters making comments before all the facts of a case are known? Does this invalidate the criticism of the availability of guns?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 666maslo666

American gun fetish is only tangentially related to this particular shooting. And FPS games are hardly even related to American gun fetish. What do you expect FPS games developers and producers to self-flagellate after every mass shooting? Thats truly absurd. They should not be pressured to do any such thing.

Offline Luis Dias

Unless you're about to propose getting rid of the 2nd amendment (or shackle the first), I see no possible good faith line of reasoning regarding the availability of guns. (I do agree with some proposals though). Keep in mind that the killer used a semi-automatic, but also a handgun. Banning AK47s or some other things liberals are railing on every single day after this event wouldn't have prevented this horror. A sick conviction and fervor was all the murderer needed.

To get muslim preachers on the line and make them be crystal clear that they condemn any and every kind of violence done to fellow human beings, and to pressure them into saying this much more often, is thousands of times more effective.

Instead, we are pressuring EA to do .... whatever it was. Yeah. That'll solve the problem.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
To get muslim preachers on the line and make them be crystal clear that they condemn any and every kind of violence done to fellow human beings, and to pressure them into saying this much more often, is thousands of times more effective.

Instead, we are pressuring EA to do .... whatever it was. Yeah. That'll solve the problem.

And if a video game site were to do this, how long do you think it would take for people to complain that they're not talking about games? There are places where that sort of call to action is better placed.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

The fact that there have been plenty of mass shootings in the US by non-Muslims does rather undermine your argument that Islam is the only real factor behind this one, as does the fact that Islamic terror attacks in Europe have required much greater organisation and support than one guy heading to the gun shop.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.