Author Topic: What hobbies do you have, 2016 Edition  (Read 5159 times)

Offline Mpez

What hobbies do you have, 2016 Edition

Sorry for the necro, but I'm really curious about what hobbies work for you guys now, especially because I know some of you actually have families now and/or are trying to balance work/family/hobbies.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: What hobbies do you have, 2016 Edition
I've split the topic, because it's really not necessary to dig up something 10 years old. There is no limit on the number of threads we can have, after all.

That said, to contribute, I am a terribly boring person with no hobbies that aren't immediately guessable :D
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I play miniatures and board games, and paint miniatures. Primarily BattleTech, but also X-wing, Armada, Dystopian Wars, Warmachine and Hordes, Netrunner, D&D 5th edition, Magic: the Gathering, Leviathans, and most recently a game called The Duke.

I play a lot of games.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
I solve Rubik's Cubes.

I'm not very good yet.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Curling.  Because it's weird and fun and involves drinking beer afterwards. :D

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Skimboarding. Rock music, learning to play bass a little with Rocksmith. Recently started shooting, looking to get my first rifle soon.  Soccer was my biggest in the past.  I was a damn good goalkeeper.  I'm still kinda sore at my parents for not supporting that more than rec league and high school teams.  I really do believe I could have had a legitimate shot at a career.  I wish I could get back into that in a serious way.  Also miss Australian rules football. 

But really, working all the goddamn time isn't leaving any time for hobbies.  When I do get time off I'm usually so exhausted or pissed off I just sit at home watching movies or playing video games.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
on friday I will be taking my first steps into "pen and paper" RPGs with a JP style streamed Run of Dark Heresy through Roll20 which if works out I will be running as an Assassin of Hive Noble origin (translation, The party's unofficial banker lol)

other than that it's all computer gaming for me
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

As for me:
Video games, but that's rather obvious.

Airsoft.

Pictures were taken in 2014 so a few things changed. I'm still collecting the Bundeswehr gear and I try to keep it in good shape and buy new things if I have some spare cash <which is not very often :P> Currently I'm thinking about a drum magazine and some sidearm (H&K USP?) My G 36's initial pellet's speed is almost 500 feets per second so any shot from close rage can result in bruises or broken teeth. Gas pistols are less powerful and perfect for CQB games.

And, my second favourite hobby, paper models. Far less spectacular but at least as much fun for me :D. My last finished project:

And a plane I'm currently working on, the beautiful Ta-152 H1:

And by "beautiful" I of course meant the original plane's design, not my model, which has many flaws ;) Every model is in 1:33 scale. Right now I'm making Ta's wings and flaps.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:18:04 pm by Col.Hornet »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wait...that's papercraft?  Holy crap.  :eek2:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I build Lego models and take them to display shows and exhibitions, with my latest one somewhat inspired by the Shivan style.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Not a fan of real USPs.  Worst grip on a handgun I've ever held, very expensive, and proprietary rail. 

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Rifle shooting, though due to scarcity of shooting ranges in Poland I haven't been able to do that in a while (I have always envied Americans for their easy access to guns and plentiful shooting ranges). Even air rifle ranges are hard to come by around here. I'm also looking at picking up sailing this summer.

Rifle shooting, though due to scarcity of shooting ranges in Poland I haven't been able to do that in a while (I have always envied Americans for their easy access to guns and plentiful shooting ranges). Even air rifle ranges are hard to come by around here. I'm also looking at picking up sailing this summer.
That's why I'm grateful we have at least two ranges in my area. The one I visit is located in a re-purposed WWII German bunker. Place has some nice atmosphere.

Unless you live in a crowded city or have neighbors who are di**s calling the police immediately, shooting the air rifle should not be a problem at all :D. All you need is just some empty space. I practice almost every time I come to my grandma's farm :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Not a fan of real USPs.  Worst grip on a handgun I've ever held, very expensive, and proprietary rail.

Grip takes some adapting to but once you get it down it's nearly magical. At least on the real one. I've never actually held an airsoft one.

Ironically despite being American I'm in the same boat as Dragon for target shooting. Don't get too jealous. The range around here does like to bring in "loaners" for people to rent, classic firearms, which is nice, but I rarely have time to be there.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's why I'm grateful we have at least two ranges in my area. The one I visit is located in a re-purposed WWII German bunker. Place has some nice atmosphere.

Unless you live in a crowded city or have neighbors who are di**s calling the police immediately, shooting the air rifle should not be a problem at all :D. All you need is just some empty space. I practice almost every time I come to my grandma's farm :)
My mother once bought a CO2 cartridge pistol (an inaccurate piece of crap, I might add), but we don't have enough space for that. I suppose a big enough piece of metal could work somewhat, but it'd be difficult to set up a safe range. Besides, even an expensive CO2 airgun isn't quite the same as a proper, 7.62mm, magazine-fed bolt-action rifle. :)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Blacksmithing and beekeeping are currently my two biggest hobbies. I used to do a lot of fishing. Other hobbies include gardening and building anything from sheds to arc welding. That said my most common and favorite hobby is wrestling with my kids and flirting with my wife.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:36:53 am by WeatherOp »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I cook - and not just to put the daily meal on the table, I mean. I enjoy going all-out on new recepies and ingridients, and almost all of what comes out of my kitches is both edible and tasteful. This hardly makes me a good cook or a master at any rate but it lures in unuspecting "test subjects" nonetheless.

My Wargaming Hobby (Wh40k, Infinity, X-Wing, Armada) and the P&P RPG stuff are kinda dead since I moved last year ... I still build and paint the newest minis for my Nomads or ALEPH but way too far from any tournament play, which is both saddening (I don't get to play competetive anymore) and nice (I don't spend my weekends hanging around douchebags* anymore).

* That is not to say the Wargaming Community does not include nice people but there is always that one overbearing guy who just does not know when to shut up.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Mikes

I cook - and not just to put the daily meal on the table, I mean. I enjoy going all-out on new recepies and ingridients, and almost all of what comes out of my kitches is both edible and tasteful. This hardly makes me a good cook or a master at any rate but it lures in unuspecting "test subjects" nonetheless.

i 'smell' a HLP cooking showoff challenge on the Horizon! :g:

Going for similar things myself, looking at recipes and picking stuff i ve never made to try it out.

Also some of the higher level cooking classes can teach you incredible stuff (that isn't necessarily all too difficult ...  but often quite clever in how it is prepared. I.e. "Easy", but only once you know it! ;-) )

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

Don't let the movies and media fool you, it's not the wild west over here either.  Even near the largest military concentration in the world, shooting range availability is pretty low, at least for rifles.  Of the 4 ranges within driving distance, two are 10 and 15 yards respectively and are handgun only, the one I go to is 25 yards and you can only shoot a specific paper target at full range, and the fourth is prohibitively expensive and overall an awful place to go.  One of those kinds of places that takes advantage of new shooters/ ones who want to be tacticool.  The weekend warriors.  Nice facility though.