Author Topic: Star Trek 50th Anniversary  (Read 14307 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Star Trek 50th Anniversary
50 years ago, the first episode of the original Star Trek aired on NBC. Now, Star Trek has celebrated its 50th anniversary.

I'm always a Trekkie, but also admires SpaceX, NASA, Roscosmos, ESA, and other space agencies (including CNSA and Malaysia's ANGKASA) to name a few.

Anyone having the same thoughts on this here?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Star Trek 50th Anniversary
I'm always a Trekkie, but also admires SpaceX, NASA, Roscosmos, ESA, and other space agencies (including CNSA and Malaysia's ANGKASA) to name a few.

One of these things is not like the others... :p

Only picking, I see what you're trying to say.

I'm more wondering if they'll do anything besides re-package some series collections on Blu-Ray for an obscene price (knowing that they'll still sell them).

I mean.. New game?  New show?  Anything new besides Beyond for their 50-year mark? 

How about a hotel that is a life-size model of the USS Enterprise, complete with a Star Trek museum etc?  Ha.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ka-ching!   (Are you listening, CBS / Paramount??)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's a new show coming in January.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

How about a hotel that is a life-size model of the USS Enterprise, complete with a Star Trek museum etc?  Ha.  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ka-ching!   (Are you listening, CBS / Paramount??)

As an architect I really have to shout a big no at this, in the odd chance some crazy billionaire is lurking here fishing for ideas.

After this new fanfilm guidelines that prevents really new star trek stories from fans and the last movies, i think that Star Trek is something like fu***** dead.

Or to speak, it is only a zombie with the same name.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

The last movie was absolutely excellent and it's about to finally return to TV helmed by Bryan Fuller, this is the best outlook Trek has had since Voyager happened.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Star Trek beyond was excellent? I heard nothing good about it at all so I didn't bother seeing it at the cinema.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

It was probably the best of the reboot films and without a doubt the best Star Trek film of them.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Interesting. I might have to give it a try.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's worth the time, and feels like what TOS would have been if they could have actually afforded it. (Instead we got a lot of silly fistfights.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
In addition to the movie Star Trek Beyond and the show next year, there is also a project called Build the Enterprise, to build a real-life Starship Enterprise.

However, like the SpaceX's Mars Colonial Transporter, this endeavor has to be realized very soon before something very, very bad happens. As Elon Musk, SpaceX's CEO, warned last year in GQ:

So I think we need to acknowledge that there's certainly a possibility of a third World War, and if that does occur it could be far worse than anything that's happened before. Let's say nuclear weapons are used. I mean, there could be a very powerful social movement that's anti-technology. There's also growth in religious extremism. Like, I mean, does ISIS grow…?

He does not even mention the growing white supremacy and neo-Nazi movements besides ISIS, nor aware that US Republican candidate for President, Donald Trump is spawning powerful Neo-Luddite movements (aside from white nationalists) or even starting a massive war that prevents any space missions from happening. It is noted that this war is also warned by others as well as, including even Russians working in the US (see A Russian Warning) and former Soviet leader, Mikhail Gorbachev, who said that it "will be the last".

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In addition to the movie Star Trek Beyond and the show next year, there is also a project called Build the Enterprise, to build a real-life Starship Enterprise.

You do know that that "plan" (heavy airquotes) is unbelievably optimistic and requires, according to its roadmap, several hundred heavy launches to get the material into space and that it doesn't include any funding? Like, this is one guy making a website with tons and tons of words, there's no money being poured into making it happen (not on the scale necessary to pull it off, anyway).

It's a bull**** fantasy, much like your whole immortal russians thing.

However, like the SpaceX's Mars Colonial Transporter, this endeavor has to be realized very soon before something very, very bad happens. As Elon Musk, SpaceX's CEO, warned last year in GQ:

So I think we need to acknowledge that there's certainly a possibility of a third World War, and if that does occur it could be far worse than anything that's happened before. Let's say nuclear weapons are used. I mean, there could be a very powerful social movement that's anti-technology. There's also growth in religious extremism. Like, I mean, does ISIS grow…?

He does not even mention the growing white supremacy and neo-Nazi movements besides ISIS, nor aware that US Republican candidate for President, Donald Trump is spawning powerful Neo-Luddite movements (aside from white nationalists) or even starting a massive war that prevents any space missions from happening. It is noted that this war is also warned by others as well as, including even Russians working in the US (see A Russian Warning) and former Soviet leader, Mikhail Gorbachev, who said that it "will be the last".

Yes, a third world war would negatively impact the socioeconomic climate necessary for building a replica of a fictional spaceship in space, which is a terrible thing that must not happen (Grammar intentionally left ambiguous).

Are you ****ing serious? Of all the consequences a new world war would have (assuming that there's going to be one that resembles WW1 and WW2, which is extremely unlikely), the cancellation of a manned mars flight is easily the least important.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I'm not serious, but I have to agree with The E that this war is not going to happen, at least in the near future. Let me remind you that the current technology for making this possible is well within possibility as of now.

The colonisation of Mars, as well as the colonisation of space, is seen by Musk and others as a moral duty to ensure humanity's survival the same way a USB drive, Memory Crystal Storage drive, and 5D storage drives are meant to preserve data in an event of a computer crash. A Martian colony or a space colony could guarantee mankind survives in case of a debacle that destroys life on Earth. So, let me guess, to paraphrase Elon Musk: "You back up your hard drive. Maybe we should back up life, too?" Perhaps we should back up progress too.

I know global catastrophes take on many forms. We have a very long history of making steady progress. Nevertheless, this progress may be halted in the near future, and chances are high that humanity could regress back to the dark ages as a corollary of extremism, especially with the recent rises of Trump, Brexit, ISIS, white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

And the history of Star Trek where World War 3 does occur, but in the end, humanity ends up surviving. Hope humanity survives, not under some criminal neo-totalitarian fascist government like Putin's Russia.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The colonisation of Mars, as well as the colonisation of space, is seen by Musk and others as a moral duty to ensure humanity's survival the same way a USB drive, Memory Crystal Storage drive, and 5D storage drives are meant to preserve data in an event of a computer crash. A Martian colony or a space colony could guarantee mankind survives in case of a debacle that destroys life on Earth. So, let me guess, to paraphrase Elon Musk: "You back up your hard drive. Maybe we should back up life, too?" Perhaps we should back up progress too.

*sigh*

Except that we're just barely at a level where we can reasonably run a permanent moon colony. One that can go into failure almost immediately if funding for the weekly supply launches dries up. We're decades away from a permanent Mars colony, and centuries if not millennia away from having a stable, self sustaining colony on another planet. Until then, we're still in an "all eggs in one basket" sort of situation, and given that we are really bad at making plans that are still being run 20 or 30 years in the future (The only institutions that endure that long are all religious in nature, and even they mutate into unrecognizable shapes over a few generations), I wouldn't put my hopes up that we'll ever get to a point where a planetary disaster won't wipe out humanity.

So, bottom line: While space exploration is a good goal, space colonization is a pipe dream. It's something people like Musk can throw money at to their heart's content, but in general, it's better to try to improve our situation here at home than to think of ways of abandoning this planet.

I know global catastrophes take on many forms. We have a very long history of making steady progress. Nevertheless, this progress may be halted in the near future, and chances are high that humanity could regress back to the dark ages as a corollary of extremism, especially with the recent rises of Trump, Brexit, ISIS, white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

These things are hardly a blip. They really do not register as the sort of existential threats you seem to think they are. Yes, they're definitely problems that we have to deal with, but they're not existence threatening for humanity or "progress" as a whole (You seem to conflate social progress with technological progress, and while they are not unrelated, they're not the same thing).

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
That's a good suggestion on space exploration, The E.

As for problems that we have to deal with, racism, xenophobia and bigotry are the growing problems facing in our society right now. I've seen a sharp increase in these particularly in UK following the Brexit vote. It's interesting to note there's some parallels to that of the Star Trek universe, the nations' failure to understand the growing necessity of allowing all citizens to contribute into society led to the 2024 riots, I presume. But unlike Star Trek's World War III, I think it doesn't happen, at least in the near future, even with the renewed tensions rising in Ukraine risking a full-scale Russian invasion, not to mention Russia's 2015 military intervention in Syria against ISIS and Islamic fundamentalism in general.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Luis Dias

Are you somehow suggesting that the Star Trek history lore won't come to fruition in our own timeline?

I do wonder, have we been a victim of some kind of timeline incursion that allowed this heresy to happen?

We already have some facts here, like we have no collective memory of Khan and his accolytes' war. Clearly something suspicious must have happened. Perhaps we should ask the Time Cube guy. He must be on to something here, and the timing of his site going down must also necessarily be a clue. An important one.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
There was also the Fermat's last theorem debacle from NG that writers had to retcon in DS9.

Clearly Andrew Wiles is a time traveler...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's just the Qs ****ing with us.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
We already have some facts here, like we have no collective memory of Khan and his accolytes' war.

The media distorted it into a thing about some Asian man and some turtles in sewers. Can't trust them, man.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

We already have some facts here, like we have no collective memory of Khan and his accolytes' war.

The media distorted it into a thing about some Asian man and some turtles in sewers. Can't trust them, man.
Exactly.