Author Topic: Star Trek 50th Anniversary  (Read 14395 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Star Trek 50th Anniversary
Well there was the question of why they made so ****ing much of it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't even know if it was the red matter itself that was responsible (it's been a few years since I've sat through the movie), but I distinctly remember part of the whole backstory being old Spock talking about "a supernova that could destroy the galaxy" and owwwww my brain.

Beastie Boys is a fantastic inclusion in Star Trek and I will broker no argument on this subject.  Peaceful and post-scarcity doesn't mean boring.
Okay, admittedly I should have left them out of it, because little **** Kirk barreling through Iowa in a vintage Corvette blasting Sabotage kicked ass. :D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:57:26 pm by Mongoose »

Well there was the question of why they made so ****ing much of it.

My fellow Vulcans, we cannot allow the Red Matter Gap to widen.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

I am worried about all the other colors though. What will blue matter even do?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Blue Matter Matters?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Red matter was the stuff that would suck up planets and stars and put out the supernova. It took only a drop of the stuff to destroy a planet. So of course the Vulcans went the entirely logical route of making gallons of the stuff.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To be fair, if your first attempt fails, you'd sure as hell want to have enough material for a second, or a third, and so on.  The Manhattan Project didn't limit its amount of usable nuclear material to a few bombs' worth by choice, but because that's literally all they had at the time, even with the gargantuan facilities at Oak Ridge and Hanford.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Rule 1 of pretty much any physics/chemistry experiment: you can never have enough starting material.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Are there any more technologies on Star Trek becoming reality? I see warp drive, tricorders, replicators, hypospray, etc. to name a few.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Are there any more technologies on Star Trek becoming reality? I see warp drive, tricorders, replicators, hypospray, etc. to name a few.

This should be entertaining.  Setting aside the fact that tricorder-style instruments and hyposprays are pretty fancy names for pretty basic technology, I wouldn't even begin to call 3D fabrication akin to replicator technology, nor warp drive even a remote possibility at this point.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Luis Dias

Flat screens. When I saw that on TNG I thought these guys were smoking really high pot, how the hell would all the electron beams deflect within that tiny thickness?

Of course, I was like 10-12 when I made that thought, and didn't even dream LCDs would be able to do what they do now.

... I wouldn't even begin to call 3D fabrication akin to replicator technology, ...

That is the very endgame of 3d printing though. Perhaps in a century?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
That is the very endgame of 3d printing though. Perhaps in a century?

Who knows.  I wouldn't even begin to try predicting the pace of tech development in that kind of timespan.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Luis Dias

What's wrong with doing that? I mean, it's not as if someone in 2116 will check back on you telling the many ways you went wrong ;)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You might as well try to predict who will be president of the US in 30 years, you'll be about as accurate.

Offline Luis Dias

That's easy to answer: Kim Kardashian.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That's easy to answer: Kim Kardashian.

Only if President Yeezy manages to release a good album while in office.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mikes

This should be entertaining.  Setting aside the fact that tricorder-style instruments and hyposprays are pretty fancy names for pretty basic technology, I wouldn't even begin to call 3D fabrication akin to replicator technology, nor warp drive even a remote possibility at this point.

Back in the day ... we thought those snazzy communicators they had looked really cool, but we'd never get those in reality right? Could never make a phone that small ... and without cables too! :P

Also Tablets ... saw them on Next Generation first! (I believe that was even a point made in one of the Apple/Samsung lawsuits about the ipad. ;-))

You might as well try to predict who will be president of the US in 30 years, you'll be about as accurate.

Well of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUNPMPrxvA

:-)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:lol:

@ 2m 7s:

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
You may check out this thread on Gary Johnson calling for humanity to settle on other planets. This is like in Star Trek, you know.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

No it's not.