Author Topic: Not Who We Are  (Read 34244 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I have represented my opinions and viewpoints as accurately as I can.

Then why haven't you called me out for unironically, unacademically posting disgusting racist propaganda? If I had posted happy merchants or moon men I have a feeling you would not have just ignored them. I posted a couple of common pepes and not a peep of complaint.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Then why haven't you called me out for unironically, unacademically posting disgusting racist propaganda? If I had posted happy merchants or moon men I have a feeling you would not have just ignored them. I posted a couple of common pepes and not a peep of complaint.

It's almost as if I can tell harmless pepes from racist ones, isn't it.

Bob, you are now at the point where you willfully misunderstand what I am talking about. Go reread the relevant posts in this thread, several times if necessary, until you are clear on what exactly I am talking about. Until then, stop the rage and the ****ty posts.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Some peeps are harmless?
You were saying pepe was a white nationalist symbol, how can there be harmless white nationalist symbols?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Same way there can be harmless swastikas

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Thanks for the non-sequitur, can I also imply with this link that you lack reading comprehension also?

No, but I am going to accuse you once again of a lack of reading comprehension, with as evidence you typing that response.

When you're at the point that you're linking a specialized subsection of a specialized type of media (I literally only gave you the about us page of the article you linked to!), an article that doesn't actually provide any substance to your claim, and claim that as evidence that the media, in it's entirety, affirms to your view of it is silly. It's also - hi - a non-sequitur.

How many media sites do I have to show for you to acknowledge that this is true? Here, have a few more.
http://www.vox.com/2016/9/20/12987202/skittles-tweet-donald-trump-syrian-refugees
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-jr-skittles-racism-dark-history-syrian-refugees-trayvon-martin-a7318496.html
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

And where, exactly, is the word "apple" mentioned, or how this ties into your red cross anology?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Yes, the rotten apple meme is far wider known than Pepe. Exactly what your counterpoint was.

Except that wasn't my counterpoint. The Red Cross is a widely known and recognized symbol. To change its meaning, someone would have to expend a lot of effort. Pepe, like the Swastika before it, is an obscure thing. Giving it meaning in the public eye is trivial by comparison; all it takes is a sufficiently large megaphone.

The E, there is a difference between you saying "people are linking X with Y" and the media saying without a hint of self-reflection "someone we dislike said X, did you know <Nazis/alt-right/boogieman of the week> said X?".

The media is totally not a big megaphone...

The rotten apple thing is somewhat irrelevant to this. First of all, the article you cite shows parallels between the use of that proverb in nazi propaganda and its use by one Donald Trump Jr; it doesn't say (as you claim) that that is where the analogy originated (It does make the claim, which I find spurious, that that was the first use of the analogy in a race politics context, but that's a different claim).

Pepe didn't also originate from the alt-right, and that doesn't stop you from claiming it's an alt-right meme. So which is it?

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
And where, exactly, is the word "Apple" mentioned  :rolleyes:

If you want to be obtuse, go be somewhere else, as I said before, the skittle thing is another form of the rotten apple meme.

If you want to be obtuse, go be somewhere else, as I said before, the skittle thing is another form of the rotten apple meme.

You're so hung up on those apples. Did you read the articles you linked to see what they were about in the first place? That Trump's campaign statements line up so easily with fascists really says more about Trump then it does about 'the media'. All you're currently doing is providing The E with more material to argue with.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

You're so hung up on those apples. Did you read the articles you linked to see what they were about in the first place? That Trump's campaign statements line up so easily with fascists really says more about Trump then it does about 'the media'. All you're currently doing is providing The E with more material to argue with.

OK, fine, I totally agree with you.

From now on, I'm always going to refer to feminists as feminazis then. I mean isn't it amazing how feminists and facists match up so much? And it's amazing because I dislike all three groups so much!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Can I just add that I've been on Internet boards, social media, and various communities (both gaming and not) for two decades, and my first exposure to Pepe the frog was in 2016 and popularized by the alt-right.   Now if I, someone fairly well-versed in the Internet and Internet culture can miss all the other versions of that stupid-looking frog cartoon, I guarantee that the vast majority of the general public has too.

Symbols are determined by exposure.  As The E pointed out, the swastika had quite a number of very specific meanings that were more or less run over by a truck after it was adopted by the Nazi Party.  That's a prominent example, but not the only one.  I mean, the cross wasn't originally a Christian symbol. Christ wasn't actually born in December, either, yet somehow we all celebrate Christmas on December 25th instead of Saturnalia.  80 years ago, a rainbow was just a rainbow.

No matter what a symbol was, once adopted and sufficiently popularized in a particular meaning by the public who don't know any better, it does actually start to mean something else.  That doesn't mean its original uses are wrong, just that their nuance is no longer understood by the public at large.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

80 years ago, a rainbow was just a rainbow.

I thought it was a promise by god that he would never hurt us again the way he did with the great floods.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
It is a symbol of internet memes/culture, that was what it represented in the "Deplorables" picture that several activists decided to try and misinterepresent as a racist symbol.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Watching the Clinton campaign and media try to 'explain' and combat memes is very surreal to me, like an 85+ year old hermit first discovering the internet, bewildered and triggered at every turn to the entertainment of many. I never thought I'd see the day when the old media would broadcast their fear of cartoon frogs (A Plague of Frogs, one might say) and smug animu grills to the point of depression as described in the Five Stages of Grief.

And it's not even October yet.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I've got to love the irony of Trump Jr. being attacked in the media for a post on Twitter comparing refugees with Skittles, when the meme started with feminists comparing men with M&Ms.

But remember, #notallmen #notallrefugees, totally different guys.

The difference between a skittle and a M&M is that if you don't eat a skittle, someone gets stuck in a camp and/or bombed in an airstrike and/or gassed by the Assad regime

Whereas if you don't eat a M&M, someone's boner becomes flaccid
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I'm glad the pandering to my side is about completely misunderstanding silly internet memes and not about promising to commit war crimes and pat everyone down in the streets.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Forced meme is forced?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
pretty much.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Here's the link to my open letter calling for game developers here on HLP against Trump. The stakes are very too high.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...