Author Topic: Re-enabling going back with backspace key in Chrome (no it's not just you)  (Read 1921 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re-enabling going back with backspace key in Chrome (no it's not just you)
Official Chrome extension here.

Discussion as to why this is policy and not a bug (TLDR: too many people losing form data on loss of focus + backspace) here.

Re: Re-enabling going back with backspace key in Chrome (no it's not just you)
Thanks jr2, that was a real nostalgic trip down memory lane to several months ago to when this was actually news.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Wait you could go back using Backspace? Either I forgot it or never knew I could.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Thanks jr2, that was a real nostalgic trip down memory lane to several months ago to when this was actually news.

Quoted for extra sauce. :rolleyes:

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Are you suggesting that his comment frustrated you to the point of adding unnecessary sauce to a dish of pasta? I'm not sure what you're trying to say otherwise
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
If you meant putting extra mayo on a hamburger then that is a great warcrime. Mayo on burgers is objectively and morally wrong.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Personally, I say who cares? Backspace to go back to the previous page has long been a thorn in my side. It still won't make me switch back to Chrome, though.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Good riddance. All it takes is a careless click unfocusing the text field you're currently editing. You keep typing, hit backspace, BAM. A hour of carefully thought-out arguments, well-researched opinions and witty comments down the drain. I've quit a few discussions on this very forum just because of this (discussions that involve post this long also tend to progress surprisingly quickly and are easy to lose track of. And I don't have patience to write two such replies in quick succession). Now, if they implemented a feature to keep the browser from losing text for any reason, then I might consider Chromium and all related browsers not to be pieces of crap anymore.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Good riddance. All it takes is a careless click unfocusing the text field you're currently editing. You keep typing, hit backspace, BAM. A hour of carefully thought-out arguments, well-researched opinions and witty comments down the drain. I've quit a few discussions on this very forum just because of this (discussions that involve post this long also tend to progress surprisingly quickly and are easy to lose track of. And I don't have patience to write two such replies in quick succession). Now, if they implemented a feature to keep the browser from losing text for any reason, then I might consider Chromium and all related browsers not to be pieces of crap anymore.

Hmm... let's test this. 

* jr2 presses backspace after clicking outside of the reply area

* jr2 clicks the forward button.

Yup.  Just as I thought.  No data loss.

Which means that there's something missing for some sites (not sure if it's the browser's fault or the site's fault; I know what you mean; sometimes your input gets lost in electronic purgatory somewhere.  (I noticed this a lot more with IE if / when I used it [like at work]).

I don't use Chrome (I'm one of those weirds who uses Firefox), but this reminded me that backspace for back is a nuisance in Firefox sometimes too. So I decided to look and, sure enough, there's an about:config setting to disable it. Nice!

You may have just saved me hours at work -- I have definitely lost huge, detailed replies I composed to clients because of a last-second keyboard screwup + the ticketing system not autosaving drafts regularly enough to catch everything (or anything, when you are really unlucky).

You're not that weird, man. I still use Firefox, too. I had been using Waterfox, but most plugins are not 64-bit and there doesn't seem to be a wrapper to let Waterfox use the 32-bit versions.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Hmm... let's test this. 

* jr2 presses backspace after clicking outside of the reply area

* jr2 clicks the forward button.

Yup.  Just as I thought.  No data loss.

Which means that there's something missing for some sites (not sure if it's the browser's fault or the site's fault; I know what you mean; sometimes your input gets lost in electronic purgatory somewhere.  (I noticed this a lot more with IE if / when I used it [like at work]).
Well, this sometimes works like that and is invariably a huge relief. Sometimes it doesn't, even on this very site. It's hit or miss on other ones. I know it did happen to me on HLP when using Chrome. I'm still using it on my laptop (instead of Opera 12 I have on my stationary computer), but that's only because I don't want to use an outdated browser on a computer routinely exposed to public Wi-Fi networks.

Either way, it's gone now. One way to wipe your data less. Good riddance.