Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 907854 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
We DID do our best to point things out (although we dropped the ball on the very first mission, admittedly).  If you have unlocked a checkpoint, there will be a message at the beginning of the mission telling you about it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mafu

We DID do our best to point things out (although we dropped the ball on the very first mission, admittedly).  If you have unlocked a checkpoint, there will be a message at the beginning of the mission telling you about it.

lol, well I don't know what to tell you.  Played the entire campaign (minus that one mission I had to skip), never knew the feature existed.

I have to wonder if the subtitle sexp isn't working on your computer for some reason, as this is the one used both to tell you that checkpoints exist and that you can press the trigger to skip certain dialog.

As for me, I never had a problem with the talky missions. WiH's primary purpose is to tell a good story, and a fair amount of dialog is necessary for that.

Offline -Norbert-

Mafu gave you a very good reason why even story interrested people may want to skip dialogue:
This I did know, mainly just by impatiently pressing buttons waiting for the mission to start after I died once.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Mafu gave you a very good reason why even story interrested people may want to skip dialogue:
This I did know, mainly just by impatiently pressing buttons waiting for the mission to start after I died once.
Dun dun dun!
Well, I never skipped dialogues and cutscenes. They make a mission even more awesome.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

um it's already possible to skip dialog

I was just expressing the opinion that there's no need to reduce the amount of dialog in missions.

Offline Mafu

I was just expressing the opinion that there's no need to reduce the amount of dialog in missions.

I'll probably agree with you once the voice acting is done, this campaign really needs it.  I'm sure I'm missing a lot of cool lines because I just can't spare the moment to read them. 

I'm fine with there being a lot of dialog, but there are to many instances where its all that is happening to the determent of actually playing the game for my tastes.  I'm not saying I didn't like the campaign (I did and will replay it in a few weeks probably to see if I enjoy it more by using checkpoints) but only that I think they missed the sweet zone between game play and story development.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:44:32 pm by Mafu »

I'll probably agree with you once the voice acting is done, this campaign really needs it.  I'm sure I'm missing a lot of cool lines because I just can't spare the moment to read them.

Yeah, it will certainly be a big improvement.

Offline Qent

In case you didn't already know, you can press F4 to read past dialog. Not a true solution, but it can save you if there's something critical that you missed.

Offline Mafu

In case you didn't already know, you can press F4 to read past dialog. Not a true solution, but it can save you if there's something critical that you missed.

Yeah, but do you really want to read through every mission to see if you missed something when you know you going to have to go and read a long winded debriefing, recommendation/personal log, fictional piece, four frame command briefing/personal log/personal messages, 7 frame mission briefing, and then in all likely hood read about 3 minutes of pilots talking to each other?  This is what I mean when I say the story needs to kindly get out of the way and let me play the game.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Haters gotta hate. The story is what makes BP great. Gameplay is just a nice bonus.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

Yeah, but do you really want to read through every mission to see if you missed something when you know you going to have to go and read a long winded debriefing, recommendation/personal log, fictional piece, four frame command briefing/personal log/personal messages, 7 frame mission briefing, and then in all likely hood read about 3 minutes of pilots talking to each other?  This is what I mean when I say the story needs to kindly get out of the way and let me play the game.
Play SGWP2 and have fun reading command / mission briefings three times longer than anything in BP. Without the jaw-dropping gameplay.

Play SGWP2 and have fun reading command / mission briefings three times longer than anything in BP. Without the jaw-dropping gameplay.

I think there are better ways to say BP is a good campaign than comparing it favorably to SGWP2. :p

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Actually it's not favorably comparing it. Show me another campaign with just as much briefing and mission text, and get back to me.
Either way Blue Planet emphasizes story. Take the story out and you're missing a large component to what makes it great. Its gameplay is outstanding but that's not all BP is about.
I'm just pointing out that if you think the stuff in BP is nothing but tl;dr, we have stuff that's truly tl;dr.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Everyone's going to have a different idea of what amount of dialog works for them. BP is not commercial, they don't have any 'target market' whose attention span has to be taken into account for commercial viability, so as long as some people in the community thinks it's fine, they can do it.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline -Norbert-

Haters gotta hate. The story is what makes BP great. Gameplay is just a nice bonus.
I think your going a bit overboard here. He just pointed out aspects of BP2 that he dislikes a bit, not bashing it as bad. I can see no "hating" going on here.

Offline Luis Dias

my only problem with it is the ridiculous font size of the game. When I get home I am mostly tired. When I play the game is after I put the kids in bed. The last thing I want is to **** even more my own tired eyes.

That's why I almost never read BP's story. It pains the eyes. And I refuse to play a game that pains me.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Wait, what? No. That's utterly the wrong way around. Storyline is a nice bonus, but definitely secondary to gameplay when you're making a game. Writing a novel, sure, or one of those terrible mid-nineties "interactive movies", you're right. Games, definitely not.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Wait, what? No. That's utterly the wrong way around. Storyline is a nice bonus, but definitely secondary to gameplay when you're making a game. Writing a novel, sure, or one of those terrible mid-nineties "interactive movies", you're right. Games, definitely not.
Gotta agree here. I value gameplay when playing a game a lot more than story. Great gameplay but a fairly bad story I can deal with, bad gameplay and a good story I cannot.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Haters gotta hate, too.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras