Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 907844 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Hey, just downloaded the new files for bp and WiH but I've got fighters that show up completely black except for the cockpits. Is it the "visuals" or the "assets" files I need to redownload?

Here's your problem:
Code: [Select]
  OpenGL Renderer  : Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator
  OpenGL Version   : 2.0.0 - Build 8.14.10.1930

This graphics chip is not capable of running with shaders, despite its best attempt at doing so. You need to start the exe with the "Disable GLSL support" option activated (To be found under Troubleshooting).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline CaptJosh

Either that or get a real GPU. Intel Graphics, even the more recent HD APU versions, just don't handle 3D accel and shaders and such worth a damn.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I am actually kinda worried that the engine even tries to load the shaders. According to the log, the GLSL supportes is version 1.1, the FS shaders are written against 1.2 or higher...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
My crapbook has an intelgrated 945GM and I have no such issue. The shaders aren't loaded for me, which is the intended behaviour with such ****ty chipsets.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
disable glsl support did the trick!  those ships are beautiful!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
so are the downloads all sorted out now?  can i get the update and not have to put individual models/whatever in also?
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Darius

Apart from the Kentauroi dockpoints, nothing else gamebreaking has come up so far after more testing. The Solaris is slightly smaller than it should be, but that'll be fixed along with the Kentauroi.

Offline -Norbert-

I just noticed something fishy going on with the Karuna MK2, while putting her through some 1v1 battle to see what she's got.
Most of the time no problems, but sometimes when the rotating section is destroyed, it isn't replaced by the damaged looking one, but simply disappears. So basically there is no connection between the front and back parts.
So far it happened twice out of 11 times. I can't say how often the rotating section got destroyed and was properly replaced with the damaged model though, but twice it just became invisible. I could still crash into it and hit it with weapons and from the hitbox I'd say the invisible part is the damaged model.

i also have a question. the same thing happens to me about the karuna Mk2 but my question is about the karuna 1. when i play the model in the missions i made it will come out of warp and when i target it it has no subsystems and weapons. so when its attack it doesn't fight back. I'm new at this so is there something wrong with the model. or my computer?

Offline -Norbert-

When I put a Karuna and a Karuna 2 into a mission, both worked fine.
Does it only happen in that self-made mission or in the campaign too?
If it's only in the mission, maybe you borked something up while FREDding.

Offline Delta_V

Well,  I got bored studying for finals and decided to pop back in here to see what's new, and what do you know, the BP team has another awesome update.  I've grabbed the 3.6.14 RC2 build and all the updates for both AoA and BP2, but I'm having some weird lighiting issues, specifically w/ custom flags.  I think it will be easier to just show what's happening. Oh, and I've attached a FS2_open log.

So this is what it looks like w/ an empty custom flags field and hidden post-processing:

And w/ post-processing turned on:

And then this is what happens when I plug Herra Tohtori's settings into the launcher and postprocessing is hidden:

Finally, Herra's settings in the launcher w/ post-processing on:

I have no idea what's going on here.  Those same settings worked fine on 3.6.12, and the new shaders in the BP2 update work fine on their own, but they don't want to play well together.  I've tried several other custom settings, and they've given similar results.

edit: messed up the image links

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:23:20 pm by Delta_V »

Offline Darius

Do you get something similar with other ships? The new karuna has some lighting issues in the model, so it's probably not the best candidate to test lighting on.

Offline Delta_V

It happens on everything.  On top of that, I realized I missed the new shaders for 3.6.14. When I dropped them into mediavps_3.6.12, the same thing happened while running just the mediavps.

edit: I just tried running 3.6.14 RC2 w/ 3.6.12 mediavps and custom flags without the new shaders installed and it worked fine. With the new shaders, everything looked like the above images.  The same thing happens with BP2 even without those shaders in the mediavps.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:13:10 pm by Delta_V »

Offline Kolgena

Is it just me, or do you get way higher FPS with bloom and FXAA on rather than off? That shouldn't be happening unless some rendering steps are getting cut out, I think. (Or I guess if the fps counter goes haywire when you printscreen...)

Offline Delta_V

That's just from hitting printscreen.  For most ships, my FPS hols steady at 120 whether postprocessing is on or off.  The only time it drops at all is when using postprocessing on large ships (destroyer+).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, we ARE using a desaturation/noise filter in post. Those don't really play well with excessively dark settings.

Offline Kolgena

The excessive darkening in screenshots with post-processing on should just be from the the upped contrast flag, I'm guessing. (Usually, it's a good idea to keep emissive light on when contrast is tweaked up, I find)

I still find it strange that things look so dark. Herra's settings don't look like those screenshots. Also, my lighting stayed about the same when moving from 3.6.13 shaders to WIH shaders. I'd have to say that something is definitely gimped in your local setup.

Offline crizza

How big are the chances to see a mission like "The blade itself" with the Karuna MK2?

Offline Delta_V

Well, we ARE using a desaturation/noise filter in post. Those don't really play well with excessively dark settings.

I tried using the recommended settings on the wiki and this is what happnes:

I don't know why everything seems to be so dark.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Have you tried not using -no-emissive-light?

EXPERIMENT TIME:

Recommended light settings, no pp:

Recommended light settings, pp:

Default light settings (what I play with), no pp:

Default light settings, pp:

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:49:58 am by The E »