Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 916329 times)

Offline James Razor

• New Eden Veteran.
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
As we have a little bit of a tech discussion here, i wanted to ask some questions myself.

During the 2nd Incursion, the GTVA developed a lot of advanced weapons. Kaysers, Prometheus S, Maxim as an example. Why didnt they mount these weapons on their cap ships? The Maxims greatest weakness for example is its power drain.

If i take a Fenris for example, remove that lousy joke of a beam and put there quad or hexa or even octa Maxims, wouldnt that be more effective? With even less power drain to its system? I mean, they might be old, but i still think that a cruiser reactor has more output than even a more modern fighter.

And now just think of the Orion or similar ships that have maxims or prometheus banks in place of the blobb turrests. That would greatly enhance their firepower and anti-figher screen. The Maxim even has about the same range as their green beams.

Offline FIZ

Balance would be one reason.  Also engine limitations, I believe that the original code had to limit to what a PC at the time could handle.  (I believe the limit for projectiles still exists, even though it is much improved.)

Fire up FRED2 and replace all blobs with Morning Stars on any hostile capital ship for a lark.  Or sentry guns.

Also beams had a rule of cool going for them, even if it was determined later to be lackluster on a Fenris.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:18:44 pm by FIZ »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Balance would be one reason.
The biggest reason, really. The Maxim is a horribly overpowered weapon.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I'm also going to mention that (imo) fighter weapons projectiles + muzzle flash look silly when fired from capship turrets.

Interesting point...
I wish we would know more about the Zods in the BP timeframe...
If it is true, that in the next release you play as a Vasudan, I'll be a happy man :D

Man, I thought that one of the best parts of BP2 was in Act 3 where you finally get to shoot up the Vasudans!

Offline qwadtep

I'm also going to mention that (imo) fighter weapons projectiles + muzzle flash look silly when fired from capship turrets.
I would assume that capships would mount their own capship variants.

That's what I did in my mod :P

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Congratulations on reinventing the Terran Blob turret.

Offline qwadtep

Congratulations on reinventing the Terran Blob turret.
A blob turret with the muzzle velocity and rate of fire of the Maxim? How horrifying.

and thus alpha one spotted a human centipede-esque row of fat green lasers piercing the hull of the sj sathanas

fenris op

gg no re

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The best way to fix blob turrets would be to up their speed, damage and fire rate then compensate for the now dead-eye accuracy against fighters with an inherent inaccuracy of a few degrees.

Its called the pulse cannon in BP.

Link to bp2-core has changed?
Now is http://fsblueplanet.creshal.de/releases/bp2-core.7z
which is weird...

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but how has the GTA been politically faring throughout the conflict? The only info we get is a snippet from one of the Dreamscapes that half of the GTA is against the war while the other half is for the war.

But with anti-Vasudan xenophobia that's been building up within the GTA, Vasudan logistical support in Sol must have angered large segments of the GTA population. And to add to that, hasn't the war in Sol heavily depleted their already broken economy?

Offline crizza

Everytime I watch the Artemis Station cutscene I admire the CO of the Nelson... to charge a line of TEI ships with only three Sanctusi(?) as support...that man has balls...and is a loyal officer.
Oh, and who voices Artemis Station and the Cormorant? Well done.

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but how has the GTA been politically faring throughout the conflict? The only info we get is a snippet from one of the Dreamscapes that half of the GTA is against the war while the other half is for the war.

But with anti-Vasudan xenophobia that's been building up within the GTA, Vasudan logistical support in Sol must have angered large segments of the GTA population. And to add to that, hasn't the war in Sol heavily depleted their already broken economy?

Is this in addition to the new fluff in the tech room? (which is awesome, by the way)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Everytime I watch the Artemis Station cutscene I admire the CO of the Nelson... to charge a line of TEI ships with only three Sanctusi(?) as support...that man has balls...and is a loyal officer.
Oh, and who voices Artemis Station and the Cormorant? Well done.
According to the old VA killboard, both Artemis Station and the Cormorant are voiced by Jordan Scherer.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Is there any chance that we'll get a release of the Freedom Fighters remix in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr4kF3h9jvU

I'm really digging it, even if I wasn't fond of it initially.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
That's a remix...?

I was always convinced that they use the original...

confused o.o
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

It's just as important to remember that his charge accomplished absolutely nothing.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

It's just as important to remember that his charge accomplished absolutely nothing.

It may have succeeded in getting a few more people off the station.