Author Topic: GTM Hippocrates WIP  (Read 80901 times)

Freeze that design in that area! No need to play around with it anymore as you will always find a different design or something to add and it will just keep on going for no useful reason. I like it as you have it.  :yes:
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Well the model is for the most part finished. I'll sit on it for a few days to see if I can think of anything else to add or change. Any volunteers to convert, map and texture this puppy?

Edit: 100th post

Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline eliex

It's perfect now.  :)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yep, I'd say its good to stay.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'm sure that VA and myself would love to but there's more stuff to do in the meantime.

Please be sure to post the model file so it doesn't get lost, though!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline CaptJosh

I would like to note that when it comes to pressurized environments depressurizing explosively, there is no such thing as being sucked into space. One gets blown out into space. There is no suction involved.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
The ship is very well done overall.  On review of the images I retract my "death trap" statement as non-constructive and premature. 

Flaser, I like your points there but you didn't address my main one.  This ship is supposed to have compartmentalized design - the ability to isolate sections at a moment's notice.  That's your "damage tolerance."  A single, long pipe running the entire length of the neck - even as a structural support of some kind - is not damage-tolerant design.  The slightest damage to any portion of the pipe could destroy the whole thing.  Any redundancy that the pipes may have had is negated by their close spacing - a direct hit to one pipe is likely to splash unto the others, especially if the attack is a bomb, missile, or asteroid impact.

One way to make them appear damage tolerant is to have the pipes repeatedly enter and exit the neck in distinct sections.

Whose to say those pipes can't be sealed when damaged? Just like blast doors in a corridor, except they have miniature versions in the pipe. These miniature blast doors could be placed at regular intervals along the pipe (that's only if there is a way to bypass the damaged section with another pipe), or if that design isn't incorporated just have the doors at either end of the pipe.
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline ShivanSpS

I almost feel sorry that is "just" a medical ship :P

Wait, it carries a terslash... lets take him to the front lines :O

The reason of why it has a terslash is beyond me... not even the Mentu has one...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Why would the Mentu have a TerSlash?

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That is not the point. And I think he meant slashers in general. It just seems odd that the Hippocrates has a cruiser-calibre beam cannon sitting on the top. But that's another discussion.

Anyway, very, very nice work on the Hippocrates. :yes2: :) :yes:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That's what I would do honestly, give it a large caliber weapon as a last line of self defense.
Rather than call in an SOS and wait while helplessly getting pummled by that pirate cruiser I'd rather do what I can and tear the **** out of it before help arrives.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Arrrgh, you need diagonals girders on that front connecting framework. It looks funny to me right now and I think that's why.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Arrrgh, you need diagonals girders on that front connecting framework. It looks funny to me right now and I think that's why.

I've been thinking about doing just that. Any way this will most likely be the final version weighing in at roughly 12,600 pollys. Just some cleaning up to do to get it ready for conversion. Galemp did you want me to send it to you or blowfish so that it doesn't get lost?

By brotherbryon at 2009-01-06

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Beautiful work :yes: The diagonal girders make it look more realistic.

What the model needs is a proper UV map and textures with baked-in ambient occlusion rendering. If somebody just slaps some tiled terran maps on it, most of the nice details will be lost.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:32:29 am by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I don't know if I can support AO, I don't need to be dealing with models that cause a system meltdown because something's too freaking detail heavy.

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
WOW That's something, mate! I love this ship! Good/God's work!

[OT] - what is uv mapping?[/ot]
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's to tell the model where to apply a certain part of a texture. :nod:

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I don't know if I can support AO, I don't need to be dealing with models that cause a system meltdown because something's too freaking detail heavy.
?
He means baking ambient occlusion into the diffuse map. It's an advanced modelling/lighting/texturing technique that provides realistic light/dark areas based on the shape of the surrounding geometry. The Aten in the MVPs uses a baked AO map to shade everything, and it works very very well at no cost to final performance. ;)

Anyway, BrotherBryon that looks fantastic. I'd suggest uploading it to somewhere general and linking to it in this thread (rather than PMing it) so as many people as possible get it. That'll ensure it won't ever vanish and greatly increases the chance a UV mapper/texturer can pick it up and finish it. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Anyway, BrotherBryon that looks fantastic. I'd suggest uploading it to somewhere general and linking to it in this thread (rather than PMing it) so as many people as possible get it. That'll ensure it won't ever vanish and greatly increases the chance a UV mapper/texturer can pick it up and finish it. :)

The clean up is complete and I'm ready to upload it somewhere, any recommendations for a good file sharing site.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
FreeSpaceMods.net?