Author Topic: well THAT was frustrating! ("A Game of TAG")  (Read 13691 times)

Offline Yarn

Re: well THAT was frustrating! ("A Game of TAG")
Hmm.  Could you try 3.6.9 and 3.6.7 (and even earlier releases) too? :nervous:
I would, but the links in the 3.6.9 and 3.6.7 release threads are broken.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
D'oh.  Well, I'll create some builds then.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, here are 3.6.7 and 3.6.9.  I've updated the release threads as well.

http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/WIN/fs2_open_3_6_7.zip
http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/WIN/fs2_open_3_6_9.zip

I will continue mirroring all the old builds on indiegames.

Offline Yarn

I tried this in 3.6.9 and 3.6.7; same thing happened.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
From what I remember of those days, if anyone can get that to run for more than ten minutes without it crashing, it'll be a minor miracle...

Offline Yarn

I tried 3.6.5, and the Warspite fired its beams. So, something introduced between 3.6.5 and 3.6.7 must have changed the behavior.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Aren't the Warspite's beam cannons ultra-AAAs set to turret-tag-only? Is the issue here that the Warspite's not firing its beams without tag designation, or that it's not firing ANY turrets without tag designation?

Offline Yarn

Aren't the Warspite's beam cannons ultra-AAAs set to turret-tag-only? Is the issue here that the Warspite's not firing its beams without tag designation, or that it's not firing ANY turrets without tag designation?
The issue involves all primary weapons (e.g., lasers, beams, and flak cannons), but not secondary weapons (e.g., missiles and cluster bombs). And turret-tag-only takes a ship as its parameter, not individual turrets of a ship.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are you inferring that the issue broadly does not effect any warhead because the Warspite's launching Piranhas? Warships firing Piranhas defensively are handled by a weird special case, I believe.

If turret-tagged-only applies to the entire ship then it's very strange that the Warspite would fire any of its beams without a TAG in retail. FSO seems to behaving 'correctly' here.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
That is really odd how for some people the Warspite fire secondaries, because for me, the Warspite never fires any of it's weapons at all unless you TAG something.

Man, this whole thing is so confusing.

Offline Yarn

Are you inferring that the issue broadly does not effect any warhead because the Warspite's launching Piranhas? Warships firing Piranhas defensively are handled by a weird special case, I believe.
Yeah, I was inferring that all secondary weapons were unaffected. I'll have to try changing the Warspite's Piranhas to the "normal" missile (whatever it's called) and see whether the corvette still attacks untagged ships.

If turret-tagged-only applies to the entire ship then it's very strange that the Warspite would fire any of its beams without a TAG in retail. FSO seems to behaving 'correctly' here.
Yeah, this does appear to be a retail bug that was "fixed" in FSO, considering the descriptions for turret-tag-only and turret-tag-clear and the Warspite's dialogue. However, since this affects mission balance in certain official missions (like the one we're discussing), it's probably a good idea to revert the behavior of these SEXPs and add new ones that work "correctly." (Turret-tagged-specific and turret-tagged-clear-specific shouldn't be changed, though, since they're FSO additions.)

That is really odd how for some people the Warspite fire secondaries, because for me, the Warspite never fires any of it's weapons at all unless you TAG something.
Are you seeing any Piranhas (the cluster bombs)? If so, then they're coming from the Warspite; none of the enemy ships are equipped with them.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:28:33 am by Yarn »
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Nope, no Piranhas.

Offline Yarn

I tried this again, but this time I equipped the Warspite with MX-52s instead of Piranhas. Like the primary weapons, the MX-52s were not fired unless an enemy was tagged. So, this issue appears to affect all weapons except Piranhas (and perhaps other cluster bombs).
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Here's 3.6 for comparison...
http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/WIN/fs2_open_3_6.zip

And here's a build that's exactly half-way between 3.6.5 (r1335) and 3.6.7 (r2211)...
http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/WIN/fs2_open_r1773.zip

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I tried this again, but this time I equipped the Warspite with MX-52s instead of Piranhas. Like the primary weapons, the MX-52s were not fired unless an enemy was tagged. So, this issue appears to affect all weapons except Piranhas (and perhaps other cluster bombs).

This makes sense. Must be the special-case 'I will fire cluster weapons in self-defense against multiple attackers' code at work.

Offline Yarn

And here's a build that's exactly half-way between 3.6.5 (r1335) and 3.6.7 (r2211)...
http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/WIN/fs2_open_r1773.zip
The Warspite fires in that build.

Just so you know, I'm apparently unable to open revision 1773's MSVC projects in Visual Studio 2013, so you may need to continue making builds for me.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's fine.  Here's the next halfway point:
http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/WIN/fs2_open_r1992.zip

I've also finished mirroring all the Windows builds on scp.indiegames.us all the way back to 3.1.

Offline Yarn

That's fine.  Here's the next halfway point:
http://scp.indiegames.us/builds/WIN/fs2_open_r1992.zip
Didn't fire this time. That means that the revision we're looking for is between 1773 and 1992.

I won't be able to do any testing this weekend. If you make another build, I should be able to try it this Monday.

EDIT: I think revision 1899 (committed by phreak) is what changed this behavior. Here's the revision comment:
stop turrets from targeting non-bombs.  also some tagged-only fixes.
So, instead of just making a build from the next midway point, I suggest making one from 1898 and another from 1899.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:57:50 am by Yarn »
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

While reading through this thread all I could think about was the mythical "FRED."

But references aside...