Author Topic: ERROR: Missing libopenal.so.1 problem (Workaround)  (Read 13635 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
ERROR: Missing libopenal.so.1 problem (Workaround)
I've received a report that running the linux nightly build can generate a missing libopenal.so.0 error.  It appears that the box used for generating Linux nightly builds is compiling against libopenal0a and newer Ubuntu distributions have libopenal1 (which includes libopenal.so.1) in their repositories.  I'm not a Linux expert, so I don't know how to best deal with this, but I thought I would put this up as a sticky so that anyone else who gets it will realize this is a known issue.  If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Edit:  Sounds like phreak's suggestion below this should work well enough.  Might need to get that into the Wiki.

Edit 2:

The nightly build box has been upgraded, from an older Ubuntu distro to a newer Debian one.  One change involved moving from the old OpenAL Sample Implementation (SI), which provided libopenal.so.0, to the newer OpenAL Soft, which provides libopenal.so.1.  So anyone who was not suffering from a missing OpenAL lib before, now likely will be, and anyone who was, now likely will not.  This assumes you have one or the other installed on your system, if not you need to install the runtime OpenAL libs provded by your distro :)

The workaround for this issue is essentially the same, just reverse the lib names, ie:

Code: [Select]
cd /usr/lib
(sudo) ln -s libopenal.so.0 libopenal.so.1
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:47:34 pm by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Re: ERROR: Missing libopenal.so.0 problem
Don't know if this would work...

Code: [Select]
cd /usr/lib
(sudo) ln -s libopenal.so.1 libopenal.so.0
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline smurd

Re: ERROR: Missing libopenal.so.0 problem
Some time ago the old openal implementation used by Debian and Ubuntu from http://openal.org was replaced by a new one called OpenAL Soft from http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html. The new implementation is not totally compatible to the old one:

OpenAL Soft does not support the Vorbis and MP3 extensions, however those were considered deprecated even in the SI. It does, though, support some of the newer extensions like AL_EXT_FLOAT32 and AL_EXT_MCFORMATS for multi-channel and floating-point formats, as well as ALC_EXT_EFX for environmental audio effects, and others.

The library version was changed to reflect these incompatibilities. As far as FSO is concerned, the new library seems to replace the old one just fine, and the symlink works (tested on Debian Lenny).

Re: ERROR: Missing libopenal.so.0 problem (Workaround)
Hi, it doesn't work under Lenny 64 bit. 
I get an error telling me the library is 32bit?
Not exactly sure about the text of the error message since I can`t access the machine now.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: ERROR: Missing libopenal.so.0 problem (Workaround)
I can't make any claims as to how well these binaries will work on 64bit distros, I'm not even sure how well they'll work on distros other than what they were compiled on.  They're provide mostly to ensure that building does continue to work properly on Linux.  As always with linux your best bet is compiling yourself or getting it put into the package manager (not very likely with nightly builds, but hopefully 3.6.10 final will be worth it).  We could probably use some package maintainers for the various distros...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: ERROR: Missing libopenal.so.1 problem (Workaround)
I'm going to guess this doesn't warrant a sticky anymore?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: ERROR: Missing libopenal.so.1 problem (Workaround)
nope, stickybegone
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...