Author Topic: Ship Names?  (Read 2688 times)

I need names for Shivan capital ships! Lots of them!

I can get away with name-recycling to a limited extent, since say, three identical cruisers could be named as following:

[name] 1
[name] 2
[name] 3

The ship names don't necessarily have to be one word, either. I'm calling one converted AWACS cloaking/recon ship the "Elusive Night".
:divedivedive: <--- This needs to be a smiley.
Developer of the Singularity campaign/mod (WIP)
I call dibs on developing a Capella Barbecue Theory campaign.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Chimera
Gorgon
Hydra

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
...all of which have been used for names of ship classes.

That said, there's plenty of good names if you follow some of the links from here.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
All of them used in non-canon ship classes.

Chimera is a Shivan fighter in INF and a GTVA corvette in BP.
Gorgon is a Shivan fighter in INF.
Hydra is basically an Artemis, but in Derelict.

No conflicts with his campaign, and those three are probably much more recognizable names of mythological beasts than most of the stuff on that list.

Although now I realize he needs more than three.  That page is a great resource for more.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_theological_demons

Is what you probably want.
I like it 'cause its organized alphabetically.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Thanks a trillion - that uber mega master list of demons will come in very useful.

Also, the Hydra, Chimera, and Gorgon ships are all in the campaign/mod.
:divedivedive: <--- This needs to be a smiley.
Developer of the Singularity campaign/mod (WIP)
I call dibs on developing a Capella Barbecue Theory campaign.

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/asia/hindu/articles.html

Here's my source for all things mythical, with tons of cool names.

I also sometimes use names from the Cthulu mythology in addition to more classic demonic names.
But most of the time, I use whatever comes to my mind, or ask a friend to name something evil (that's also why I sometimes have weird names in my missions :P).

However, I have a lot more difficulties finding vasudan names since I am not as familiar with Egyptian mythology (and all the easy names are already used in the Main Campaign) and I haven't bother looking for a good name pool (yet).

However, I have a lot more difficulties finding vasudan names since I am not as familiar with Egyptian mythology (and all the easy names are already used in the Main Campaign) and I haven't bother looking for a good name pool (yet).
Oh look it's me again http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/africa/egyptian/articles.html

I think I love you my dear :)