Author Topic: Release: I guess I made a thing.  (Read 7331 times)

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Release: I guess I made a thing.
I GUESS I made some sort of capship command mission using a whole bunch of stuff.

Get the thing here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ddkn8z6k9adrfo/CapshipCommandThing.7z (I'm fairly sure dropbox doesn't like being hammered with too many requests and isn't really a proper file share thing so please mirror somewhere ASAP!)

Requires mediaVPs 2014, made and run on 3.7.2 RC5 builds but will probably work on anything above. Also probably requires 7zip or something like that to get the files out of the 7z archive.

Installation instructions are "Extract the folder, then dump the folder in your freespace 2 folder and run it with some sort of launcher".

It's a single mission, so go to the tech room to run it.

The thing should be stable and run and the mission should work and account for all outcomes, as I have tested it a bunch. It really shouldn't be too rough, maybe a bit short and uninteractive but for a first actual proper released mission mod it shouldn't be bad.

Checksums:

Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'C:\games\Freespace2\CapshipCommandThing\capshipcommandthing.vp' with a checksum of 0x5b061360
Searching root pack 'C:\games\Freespace2\CapshipCommandThing\capshipcommandthing.vp' ... 269 files

Feedback is welcome, I would like to know how the gameplay, visuals, balance, and the general sense of player fun can be improved. Story and plot and characters and such are mostly placeholder, don't pay them too much attention.

Known issues: That Echo wing... doesn't start from your hangarbay when called in is because I don't think it works if they depart from a player ship? I'm not sure exactly why it won't work if Echo wing departs from your hangarbay but for now this is the workaround.

e: updated link with the one that contains the patch by default.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:10:52 am by JSRNerdo »
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Release: I guess I made a thing.
I <3 capship command and will attend your seminar

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Ill give it a spin tomorrow!
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Update 1: this should work I think https://www.dropbox.com/s/78k9oqw1ygh4mkt/capshipcommandpatch.vp?dl=0

Update 1 changelog:

It is now less possible for the player to break the mission by kicking too much ass.
Added in secondary systems, explained in the briefing.
The jump gate will now spin around. Spin. Spinning. Spinny. Rotate.
I now realize the value of "let's get feedback and stuff before releasing, instead of release then make a bunch of fixes."

Installation instructions: Take the .vp file and put it in the folder of the mod. Should be fairly easy.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:30:07 pm by JSRNerdo »
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I like it! :yes:

The improvements from the patch really flesh out the mission; overcharging your beams can best be described as "total sex". It's very challenging, but still fun!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Nice idea on the capital ship system. Nice.

From where you got this Moscow model? Its upgraded as I see.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Nice idea on the capital ship system. Nice.

From where you got this Moscow model? Its upgraded as I see.

The Moscow model is the textures and .pof from this thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=79471

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Very good start. Some nice attention to detail, like the new warp sound effect. I could see this turning into a fun capship-command original universe. Got killed by the Rakshasa in the Rakshasa-Ravana attack before I could turn around and kill it with my overcharged beams.

The ability timing seems a little wonky, though; I noticed abilities triggering late, not triggering when I pressed the key even though I had 95% guns power, etc. You may want to look over your SEXPing. And maaaybe have mercy on the player and make your ship's turn time a tad faster, especially when enemies are attacking from all different angles?

Have you read my capship command tutorial? (link in sig)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
The ability timing seems a little wonky, though; I noticed abilities triggering late, not triggering when I pressed the key even though I had 95% guns power, etc. You may want to look over your SEXPing. And maaaybe have mercy on the player and make your ship's turn time a tad faster, especially when enemies are attacking from all different angles?

Have you read my capship command tutorial? (link in sig)

Not sure what's up with the ability timing either, I've noticed it too. The whole key press to do thing system is a bit messy and cumbersome, honestly, and I've had to do a bunch of different things to get it to work and also still work and not trigger all the time and think the key is being held down or still pressed from one keypress.
Or maybe I'm just bad at FRED and should've double checked things, I 'unno! Could be either.

Also, I haven't, actually, well, not before you made that post, actually. Have read it now, only thing to me that stands out is the script, which I will look at in future.

Also, I updated the original link in the first post. The download should now contain the first patch by default.