Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305165 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Just finished the only movie that one should watch on a date such as this.  Verily.

Just finished the only movie that one should watch on a date such as this.  Verily.

I'm going to assume it's V for Vendetta?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Voila!

Offline Luis Dias

Meanwhile I finally got to watch Star Trek Beyond.

What. The. ****.

Why. Why are people saying this was a "great movie"? Were expectations that low?

It was a hugely boring movie. My brain was constantly asking me to shut it off, the whole premise of the story is ridiculous, simplistic, over the top, uninteresting and annoying, and then it collapses into the oh so even more annoyingly ridiculous and simplistic revenge story as a twist. Thank you scottie, you really ruined Star Trek for me by writing this piece of **** that somehow, apparently, incredibly, fans loved.

I don't understand. Is this what Star Trek is really about? Boring set pieces collpasing to worse twists? With no added culture? No added thought? No inkling of interest in what it means to "boldly go..." etc? Even the template that all Star Trek movies have been trying to copy (and failing), that is TWOK, had thought, philosophy and interesting questions that posed. A movie that is more widely known for being an action-y revenge themed adventure.

Lemme guess the plot of the sequel Even Beyonder... wait, lemme not. I don't want to torture my brain cells even further.

By this time, even movies like Interstellar are incredibly more Star Trekkian than what this franchise has become. And that's saying a lot since that movie, well...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:25:32 am by Luis Dias »

Just finished the first season and the book :D Why haven't I found it sooner? 

This intro is so simplistic but it's one of the most beautiful and inspiring I've ever seen. The time lapse showing the colonies expanding... touching :)

God I just started rewatching the 10th and 11th Doctor. Goddamn, I just realized how....****ing pretentious and drawn out some it of it is. How many cheap tricks they implemented they got you to love characters quicker. The ****ing way they resolved the Time War that made a certain really good 9th doctor story pointless, it made all the **** he went through pointless. Beginning Tennant is kinda good tho.

Thank god Moffat's leaving. But I'm kinda skeptical of the new guy.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

What. The. ****.

Hey.

The Original Series is on Netflix. You've forgotten what it was like. Go watch some Where No Man Has Gone Before and Whom Gods Destroy and Journey to Babel and tell me how this is such bad Star Trek. In truth this is actually one of the better Original Series episodes ever filmed, doing all the things Original Series would have done if it had the budget to do them rather than being restricted to torn-shirt Kirk fistfights.

You want it to be a TNG movie. That's Kirk on the bridge, and that's not what this is.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

What. The. ****.

Why. Why are people saying this was a "great movie"? Were expectations that low?

As you can see, they were.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
And let's be real here, none of the TNG movies were actually good, the closest one is probably First Contact which was merely mediocre
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Turambar

And let's be real here, none of the TNG movies were actually good, the closest one is probably First Contact which was merely mediocre

I was just thinking that First Contact was TNG's Wrath of Khan.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Luis Dias

What. The. ****.

Hey.

The Original Series is on Netflix. You've forgotten what it was like. Go watch some Where No Man Has Gone Before and Whom Gods Destroy and Journey to Babel and tell me how this is such bad Star Trek. In truth this is actually one of the better Original Series episodes ever filmed, doing all the things Original Series would have done if it had the budget to do them rather than being restricted to torn-shirt Kirk fistfights.

You want it to be a TNG movie. That's Kirk on the bridge, and that's not what this is.

Those episodes were done in the sixties and all of them actually had.... ideas. Fair enough, they were not the best of ideas, but nevertheless!

All of the first four TOS movies (plus perhaps the sixth) are far better than this "Mission Impossible" - like movie. Are they better "blockbusters"? No. They are filled with flaws and are not as well produced. But they are not brainless! Even TWOK *has* sci fi ideas in it that blend perfectly with the main themes of the movie.

What does Beyond have? Everything in it is half-assed. So we got a (SPOILERS) forgotten crew that was abandoned because no one knew where they were, but somehow that gets them to unanimously become revengeful (the only emotion that nu Star Trek villains can have, apparently) for no good reason? Then they get access to incredible tech, because plot? And they become some kind of ugly vampires? And no one takes some time reflecting upon this? No, it's just for the plot to move as there's this huge new technological threat that has no moral tension in it whatsoever? And then at the end we learn that in fact, the villain was just sharing his "tough love" to the federation so that it would not grow too liberal and "friendly"? What was it then? Why no one in his crew rebelled from this nonsense (just like Nero's crew, btw)?

There are no moral questions in the movie at all. No interesting ideas. Only "good guy turned spiteful and somehow got uber weapons and he's gotta be stopped" story.

Bo.****ing.Ring. If this is the new Star Trek direction count me out. I have no patience for this waste of time. If I want brainless "good set pieces" pew pew pew I'll just play Call of Duty thank you very ****ing much.

Well since they've announced a new Code Geass season (apparently with the USD beating everyone up they need more cash) I've decided to finally watch Code Geass and check out why the memes are so...memey.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
New trek was utter non interesting.

The set piece effects were on to look at but felt hollow.

This film is a blonde slut wearing a low cut dress or flashing it's minge to hide the lack of substance.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Luis Dias

A new Code Geass season? Wtf can they possibly do after that ending?

I mean, season one was forgetful, season two was ok-ish. End it there, ffs.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

Hey, I would go so far as to say that one particular one was rather decent.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
A new Code Geass season? Wtf can they possibly do after that ending?

I mean, season one was forgetful, season two was ok-ish. End it there, ffs.
R2 was a gloriously entertaining absolute trainwreck of plotting, so personally I can't wait to see how they try to top it.

Offline Turambar

Well since they've announced a new Code Geass season (apparently with the USD beating everyone up they need more cash) I've decided to finally watch Code Geass and check out why the memes are so...memey.

I would like it better if i wasn't so racist against whatever species of humanoid is portrayed in Gundam SEED and Code Geass.

You have issues with CLAMP-noodle-people?

(CLAMP didn't work on SEED though, so I'm not sure where that came from. The art styles are totally different.)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

Hey, I would go so far as to say that one particular one was rather decent.
First Contact is not a decent movie, thanks to elements that clash with the TNG show that end up being worse in the movie, like the Borg and Picard's characterization (which more than clashes, as it's almost entirely different!), as well as a few other things. However, when viewed in a vacuum, these massive issues are alleviated some and it becomes a perfectly serviceable standard sci-fi action flick.

e: I'm not even a big TNG fan. I think it's a fairly average show with a detrimental episodic formula propped up by a few really standout great episodes and nostalgia, and I still think First Contact is a pretty poor TNG movie.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:04:39 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Just finished the first season and the book :D Why haven't I found it sooner? 

This intro is so simplistic but it's one of the most beautiful and inspiring I've ever seen. The time lapse showing the colonies expanding... touching :)

This post got me trying the TV series out. It feels like babylon 5 somehow. Ceres station I mean. 
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png