Author Topic: Britain votes for Brexit  (Read 17317 times)

Offline Cyker

Re: Britain votes for Brexit

there is already a petition to parliament which has reached the critical number of signatures for a revote do be discussed by select committee.
It's already gone past 3.5million sigs! And that's after the fraudulent ones were removed!

Biggest irony: That petition was put up by a Pro-Leave person; Like Farrage's previous demand for a 2nd re-do if the voting was close, which both are now ignoring or decrying as being hijacked by Pro-Remain people :lol:

The amount of double-standards in this whole thing has been pretty bad...

I do wonder what all the leave voters, that did so because of promises of tighter immigration or more money to the NHS, are feeling, now that Leave have said that immigration will probably remain at similar levels as they do now, and the NHS thing was a mistake... :lol:

Remain really should have been the default vote - We could hold another referendum to leave at any time in the future, but once we leave that's it, no backsies. If we wanted back in, we'd have to go through the whole application process, with none of the special treatment we worked so hard to negotiate in the past, like opting out of the Euro. That alone, I imagine, would be a massive deal breaker for most of us, and even if it wasn't we'd have to convince all the other members not to veto out application. Yeah...

Ah well, too late now unless Parliament want to risk a load of riots by going against the vote - They technically could as the vote is not legally binding, but I imagine if they did the backlash would tear the country apart.

Now we'll have to see how good a negotiating team we can build, since we're going to have to open negotiations with almost every trade partner pretty much from scratch, and without the bulk of having a load of other nations with us.
But heck, you never know, if we roll lots of 20's, we might even be able to get things almost as they were!

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It's funny how certain right wingers that probably still live on the assumption that the lower classes will use toilets for storage care so much about democracy.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I'm becoming highly skeptical that the UK will survive as a nation if/when it triggers Article 50.  If Scotland and Ireland don't flee prior to Article 50 being triggered, the chances of their departure go nowhere but up once 50 is triggered and the EU gets all the cards in the exit negotiations.

Did the Leave side have any idea what Europe is going to do to make an example of Britain on its way out the door?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No, but then as has been pointed out, this was a post-factual vote. Nobody wanted to know what would really happen, they were too in love with the idea that they were Making A Difference and Taking Back Their Country From Filthy Continentials.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I'll tell you what this whole thing is very interesting coming from a person who isn't involved or hasn't kept up with either side's reasons. I'm still kind of surprised it happened. This type of thing seems like it almost happens, but in the end doesn't.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm becoming highly skeptical that the UK will survive as a nation if/when it triggers Article 50.  If Scotland and Ireland don't flee prior to Article 50 being triggered, the chances of their departure go nowhere but up once 50 is triggered and the EU gets all the cards in the exit negotiations.

It won't. The SNP have already said that they're entitled to a second referendum on Scottish independence if major changes occurred (Such as Britain leaving the EU). Given how narrowly they lost last time, they're certain to win now and then go straight back into Europe. Ironically all the people who voted to "Make Britain Great Again" have only succeeded in its destruction.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

Well, that is far from certain at this point. Hell, it's not even certain they will even leave the union at all. Cameron should have immediately asked for the 50th to go right the day after, but he didn't. Boris went so far into saying that this wasn't probably even "necessary". What kind of ****ty doublespeak is this? These people seem to be on a situation way above their abilities to cope with. It writes itself almost like a dark comedy sketch.

Offline Cyker

It doesn't benefit us to trigger the 50 immediately - That's one thing both sides agree on.

Cameron doesn't want to have anything to do with it, so he's deliberately leaving it up to whoever takes over from him so they get all the credit if it goes tits up.
I suspect Boris wants more time to get some informal negotiations going so that if he becomes PM then things won't automatically go down the ****ter.

I think you're right that the probability of Scotland voting to split is high now, but I don't think that vote will come up for a good few more years; If the gov are smart and also get some good negotiations down then they may change their minds tho', so there's some time for that. Scots can have long angry memories tho' and they have loud crazy ultra nationalist types just like we do so there may not be enough that can be done.

The noises from Europe are interesting; Some are mega pissed and want us out now with maximum shafting, but surprisingly a few (Notably Germany, Poland and Estonia, for some reason) have called for the rest to 'go easy on us' during negotiations.
France sounds apocalyptically pissed; They are already threatening to just let through all the migrants they've got bottled up on their side of the tunnel for us to expend resources to deal with instead of them.

Offline Mika

Nope, just down. Every major index finished down. 2 trillion up in smoke, worst single day in history worldwide.

That's actually not necessarily a bad thing. It's about time the financial industry has to shed that excessive bloat. And from what I heard from my investor friends, they are actually planning to buy right now. What goes down tends to get back up, and given the EU calling the shots, turmoil and see-sawing of the indexes are almost guaranteed. It's almost a capital investor's wet dream. Just like Greece was.

The reason France is mega pissed is partially historical and also related to the UK negotiations with the EU. Moderate stance is the one that gains in this case, Germany is looking for the financial sector growth in Frankfurt, and has nothing against France spoiling its chances. Additional thing is, the EU imports more stuff to the UK than the UK exports to the EU. This is already progressing to a game of capturing as much of those UK markets as possible before the others get there. EDIT: Oh and of course, it can't look like the EU is actually punishing the UK, as that would likely feed the get-out-of-EU movement. But then again, it's not possible that UK gets the benefits and pays nothing as that would certainly trigger more departures. This will some tight-rope walking thing the EU now has to do to pull this off successfully in the eyes of the citizens. I'm looking forward to seeing our members of parliament wriggle themselves out of this mess. Those who don't know, I've been working with some EU bureaucrats and tend to know the sort of bunch they are - the time of happy go lucky management jobs in the EU is now officially over.

Let's watch what the UK parliament does. Given the possibility that the United Kingdom becomes disbanded, there's a chance they will still ignore the referendum based on this. From where I'm standing, I would understand that this is not so good thing, and perhaps it might be a good idea to not do what was voted.

[Sigh] European Politics are depressing, closest thing coming to mind is having sharks as pets in a small swimming pool. As long as they are fed, the situation remains somewhat stable. But forget to feed them even once, it won't take long they are at each other's throats. With next to forty countries bickering with each other, and older European countries still living in that bygone grandeur, one has to wonder whether this can ever change?

I'm sort of flattered that Scotland wants to become a Nordic Country. Aye lads, by all means! They at least have the right attitude :lol:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 07:42:11 pm by Mika »
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

remind me mika you were the one who was glad that the terrorists hit brussels because it's a seat of EU power, yes?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
That's actually not necessarily a bad thing. It's about time the financial industry has to shed that excessive bloat. And from what I heard from my investor friends, they are actually planning to buy right now.

You've only confirmed you have no idea what you are talking about by posting this. Do not reenter this conversation until you have learned enough to not make a fool of yourself.

A Feddie Story

Offline qwadtep

Don't act like Brexit is the only one responsible for the markets. The continued tantrums of Remainers calling for additional votes until they win is perpetuating the uncertainty of the original vote.

Did the Leave side have any idea what Europe is going to do to make an example of Britain on its way out the door?
Does the EU have any idea what Britain will do if they're made into an example on the way out the door?
Germany should, considering they were on the receiving end of the Treaty of Versailles, and we all know how that turned out.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Don't act like Brexit is the only one responsible for the markets

I'm talking about Friday, alone, no other day. There was no uncertainty about Remain then, only the horrible certainty that Leave had won the vote.

It's amusing, I suppose, to watch the effort to deny that Leave was responsible for what happened when they won.

A Feddie Story

Offline qwadtep

Don't act like Brexit is the only one responsible for the markets

I'm talking about Friday, alone, no other day. There was no uncertainty about Remain then, only the horrible certainty that Leave had won the vote.

It's amusing, I suppose, to watch the effort to deny that Leave was responsible for what happened when they won.
There absolutely was uncertainty. Uncertainty over the legal power of the referendum, uncertainty over the next steps, uncertainty over the renegotiation of trade agreements, uncertainty over the impact on the rest of Europe.

Voting to leave took the UK into uncharted waters, and the markets responded with due anxiety. But that's it; there are no businessmen foaming at the mouth swearing to make the UK suffer for its decision, only the knee-jerk reaction always elicited by change.

My concern is that Remainers will prevent the natural recovery by keeping a gigantic question mark over the decision with their demands for additional referendums or the dismissal of the result as non-legally binding.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah, let's avoid blaming the fact that it is increasingly obvious that the Leave camp hadn't got a clue what to do if they won. Let's blame the Remain camp instead.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Yeah, let's avoid blaming the fact that it is increasingly obvious that the Leave camp hadn't got a clue what to do if they won. Let's blame the Remain camp instead.

Let's ignore that's what the remain camp has been saying all along and that the leave camp dubbed it "Project fear", too!

Offline qwadtep

So we just absolve the Remain-dominated government of not having a contingency plan for a vote that they knew would be close at best?
But clearly the people are the bad guys for not voting the way the Government wants, not the government for failing to represent its people.

So we just absolve the Remain-dominated government of not having a contingency plan for a vote that they knew would be close at best?

There was a contigency plan: Abdicating to the people who wanted to leave. Why would you want to let the remain-camp take the decisions when it comes to leaving? The remain camp wants to stay, and if you let them handle it you'd end up with a UK that has left the EU in name only.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that someone who campaigns for a policy also has a rough idea on how to implement that policy - otherwise, that person would simply not know what they are talking about.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Meanwhile, Boris Johnson finds a new definition of "not being in the EU" that translates to "being in the EU":

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

So it's basically the EEA.