Author Topic: Please help me decide on a laptop!  (Read 977 times)

Please help me decide on a laptop!
I'm mainly torn between these two: the Dell Inspiron i7559-763BLK and the ASUS K501UW-AB78. Below are some details.

i7559-763BLK     K501UW-AB78
Screen Size     15.6 in     15.6 in
Resolution     1920 x 1080     1920 x 1080
Processor     2.3 GHz Core i5-6300HQ     2.5 GHz Core i7-6500U
RAM     8 GB DDR3L SDRAM     8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
Hard Drive     256 GB SSD     512 GB SSD
Graphics Card     GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5     GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5
Operating System     Windows 10     Windows 10
Dimensions     1 x 15.1 x 10.4 in     0.8 x 15.6 x 10 in
Weight     5.7 lb     4.4 lb

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Please help me decide on a laptop!
I know zilch about price-performance comparisons on laptops at the moment, so I cannot comment on anything beyond your choices indicated, but of what you've indicated, if pricing is similar, the ASUS system has superior hardware by a considerable margin.  i7 CPU versus an i5, and double the size on the SSD, plus the DDR4 (not that it makes much difference right now).  The lower memory on the dedicated graphics isn't a huge deal.  If the prices are within $100 (and based on Amazon's pricing, they're separated by $50), the ASUS is the better choice.

On an unrelated note, as a Canadian, the prices on those systems make me physically ill.  A sub-$900 modern gaming laptop is something I could only dream of.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

I just learned that the Dell has quality control issues, too. Thanks for making up my mind - I feel better already.

I'd chose Asus. I'm using R510j (it has weaker performance then the model you linked) and I'm very satisfied. I compared the different laptops among my friends and we concluded that Asus ones are the most durable of all we had.

I used to have one of those asus eeebooks. I remember that my geology teacher once accidently knocked it off the table whilst vividly explaining something (it had something to do with rivers IIRC). The thing came to a standstill about 5 meters from where I was sitting, and there was not a scratch on it.

Thing still works today, although the tiny specifications of the laptop make any modern use impossible.