Author Topic: Good news! Microsoft leaked keys to unlock secure boot  (Read 1431 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Good news! Microsoft leaked keys to unlock secure boot
Found here.
Quote from: the register article
when Secure Boot is fully enabled in the firmware of a Microsoft device, it will only boot up an operating system that is cryptographically signed by Redmond. That stops you from booting up any OS you want on your Windows RT tablet, certain Windows Phones and so on.

Alongside this, there are Secure Boot policies, which are rules that are loaded and obeyed during early startup by the Windows boot manager. These policies must also be signed by Microsoft to be accepted, and are installed on devices and machines using a Microsoft-signed tool.

For internal debugging purposes, Microsoft created and signed a special Secure Boot policy that disables the operating system signature checks, presumably to allow programmers to boot and test fresh OS builds without having to sign each one.

If you provision this magic policy, that is, if you install it into your firmware, the Windows boot manager will not verify that it is booting an official Microsoft-signed operating system. It will boot anything you give it provided it is cryptographically signed, even a self-signed binary – like a shim that loads a Linux kernel.
Aside from the obvious idea of security through obscurity and the other implications of this leak and other systems with backdoors that only say government or law enforcement are meant to know about... this is good news since the future of locked devices by secure boot is now back in the control of the consumer for now.

The two researchers noted in the article (MY123 and Slipstream) findings posted here (beware interesting graphics).
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Re: Good news! Microsoft leaked keys to unlock secure boot
It's already been partially patched and will be completely patched come next patch tuesday (aka a month from now)
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It's already been partially patched and will be completely patched come next patch tuesday (aka a month from now)

I heard the patch didn't work.  Did they make a more successful patch?

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/08/microsoft-secure-boot-firmware-snafu-leaks-golden-key/

At first, Microsoft apparently dismissed the find as a non-issue, before changing its mind, and then slowly applying a patch. The software giant eventually awarded a bug bounty in June, and has since released two patches—MS16-094 and MS16-100—with a third on the way. It's understood that none of them are able to directly shut the back door, and there's a distinct possibility that the hole opened by the golden keys may not be truly closable.

According to the researchers, "it'd be impossible in practise for MS to revoke every bootmgr earlier than a certain point, as they'd break install media, recovery partitions, backups, etc."
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.

More on that...
Quote from: other site i linked
Either way, it'd be impossible in practise for MS to revoke every bootmgr earlier than a certain point, as they'd break install media, recovery partitions, backups, etc. - RoL disclosure timeline: ~march-april 2016 - found initial policy, contacted MSRC ~april 2016 - MSRC reply: wontfix, started analysis and reversing, working on almost-silent (3 reboots needed) PoC for possible emfcamp demonstration ~june-july 2016 - MSRC reply again, finally realising: bug bounty awarded july 2016 - initial fix - fix analysed, deemed inadequate. reversed later rs1 bootmgr, noticed additional inadequate mitigation august 2016 - mini-talk about the issue at emfcamp, second fix, full writeup release
Found here.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
more technical writeups need to be in this format :)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together