Author Topic: Playing psychological games for fun and profit  (Read 1452 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Playing psychological games for fun and profit
Next week I have to teach a class of English as a second language college students a lesson on the brain. The text book I have to use is a little dry and the college allows me to come up with my own lessons as long as I stick the the general subject. I figured I'd spice things up with a few games to show off cognitive biases and the that sort of thing. So far I've decided to hold a dollar auction, teach a little about confirmation bias and perhaps play a few games based around Prisoners Dilemma but I was wondering if any of you have heard of anything that might work well.

My students have a reasonable amount of English and I can use PowerPoint to explain anything tricky so I just want to see if anyone had some better ideas. Anything that will allow the class to split off into groups or pairs and have to talk to each other is especially good but anything which I can then use as a jumping off point to ask for real life examples will be useful.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Playing psychological games for fun and profit
Two important questions before any suggestion:

How much time to do you have in class?

How well organized are you students normally (i.e. how much time would pass until they are in mixed groups)?

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I get two 50 minute periods (Which as you can guess is quite a lot of time to fill). The students are already assigned groups of 4 or 5 people so they can switch easily to pairwork or groups pretty quickly.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
There's a fun little perception/communication exercise you can try.

Seat two people back-to-back.  Give the first one a picture - usually a half-dozen geometric shapes all stuck together at odd angles - and the second one a pen and paper.  Person with the picture is allowed to speak.  Person with pen and paper is not.  They get 5-10 minutes to try to replicate the picture.

It's a useful exercise to talk about the way our brains make assumptions about the way other people think and perceive; it also helps understand the limitations of purely verbal communication.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
You've got to have them do this one:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I already have downloaded a version of that video somewhere. I think it would work well. Good idea.

There's a fun little perception/communication exercise you can try.

Seat two people back-to-back.  Give the first one a picture - usually a half-dozen geometric shapes all stuck together at odd angles - and the second one a pen and paper.  Person with the picture is allowed to speak.  Person with pen and paper is not.  They get 5-10 minutes to try to replicate the picture.

It's a useful exercise to talk about the way our brains make assumptions about the way other people think and perceive; it also helps understand the limitations of purely verbal communication.

That's a pretty good one as it would force the students to use their English. The only issue would be that quite a few students would suspect the problem was their English and not hard limits in verbal communication. Although if they did a second easier picture in Chinese I could demonstrate that.

FYI, I not only saw the gorilla but did a double-take when it showed up :P