Author Topic: change mech grafix  (Read 6681 times)

Offline mikeva1

it would be nice if they did

Offline d4f_mac

hi, there

ok, check all "ase" filters what l found on net, but not even one, work with my 2.74 blender, fugg :mad: :mad2: :banghead:

@mikeva1 - if you like can ask magic, maybe he have solution, hopefully
                 - it will be nice to get ase and tga files from Timberwolf and Madcat, that you have, for any case. THX  :yes: :yes:

I will try to find some of older Blender versions, maybe than will imp/exp plugins work.

thx, for help, and have a good one.

Offline magic

You need some program that can open ase and convert ti 3ds file.

For example 3d exploration.

Offline d4f_mac

Hi

@magic - thx for info.

workflow: example timberwolf.ase

- made 512x512 TGA gfx
- copy timberwolf.ase and new timberwolf.TGA in separate folder
- convert "ase" file with 3D exploration or 3D object converter (have this in older version) in "obj" or "3ds" file
- open file in max, retex with new texture
- save/export new file as "3ds" or "obj"
- convert new file back to "ase" with 3d exploration or 3D object converter
- copy file in MCO/TGL folder (or need to use AseConv.exe??)
- job done

hopefully l understood this right, when some mistakes in my thinking's  please correct me.

now only need timberwolf.ase and madcat ase files from anyone, or even obj or 3ds, will be also fine, thx

Question: possible to ad few poly´s more on models, when yes, are movement "tgl" still usable??

greetz, mac
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:46:13 am by d4f_mac »

Offline mikeva1

The "Microsoft MechCommander 2 Shared Source Release " has all of the original .ASE file.  The fiile name is mc2.exe but in Win XP it does not open as an exe. Instead I tried WinZip - that failed. I transferred it to my computer with Win 7 and was able to get it. Look under MechCommander2 Source\Source\Data\TGL for all of the original ASE files.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11457

Offline mikeva1

I would have sent the madcat ase file in the last post but ASE files cannot be posted - then I saw that 7z files can be sent. I packed them into a 7z file (get 7zip if you have trouble un-packing it)

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline ThorC

Here are some of the animation skeletons for the game in 3ds,along with the nodes and effect points. Open the ASE. file in note pad and you will find X,Y,Z postions for each node(helpers,movers).  These files can be parented to 3d meshes then converted to ASE which the game will convert to TGL.

[attachment deleted by nobody]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:49:47 am by ThorC »

Offline d4f_mac

Hi

@mikeva1 - thx for file, already got from MC2 source.

@ThorC - thx for info.

greetz

Offline ThorC

:yes:

Offline Ma.Din

l understood from forum here, that only 3ds max 7 can import 3D models from game (mechs) with "ase" plugin, or l misunderstood this???

3DMax 7 will import and export ASE files, no problem. 8 and higher only export. Mechcommander 2 was made using Max 6 (DOS) and 7 was the last with import functions. Make your model, in your favorite modeler. Use an original for scale value, since you can't really set the grid parameters correctly. Make sure Z is up (if I remember correctly.) Import the obj file in 7. Make your ASE file and export it. Take it into a current version of Max and parent constrain the helpers to the individual pieces. Export it as an ASE. Dump it in MC2 and mod all the CSV files.

I use Maya exclusively, so I never got really far with rigging the models for MC2. I still have an unfinished Catapult, based of the MWO version. (BTW, Magic, do you want it? It's already UV'ed, I just never got around to texturing it, nor rigging it - I couldn't figure out how to properly constrain the helper objects. Max is foreign to me, when it comes to constraints and completely gave up.)

If you need a copy of Max 7, let me know and I can post a copy on my google drive. It's a crack, however and will crash on Win 7 or higher, on close. Basically, you have to kill it, through the Task Manager when you're done. Otherwise, it works perfectly, including animations.

-M
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:08:09 am by Ma.Din »
"Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

Offline magic

(BTW, Magic, do you want it? It's already UV'ed, I just never got around to texturing it, nor rigging it - I couldn't figure out how to properly constrain the helper objects. Max is foreign to me, when it comes to constraints and completely gave up.)
-M

Yes, send me your model, please.

For anyone else trying to work with .ase files and who don't have 3DS Max 7:

http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/

It works. Most of the .3ds conversions fail but others work fine like .dwg and .obj.

Offline Karl

To whoever is keen,

I have a "skeleton" that just requires importing into your 3ds max files, from there you can rig your models for MCO. If you get in touch with me I can help you through the rest of the process, exporting, creating the spotlight... etc