Author Topic: In Need of Assistance!  (Read 13356 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
In Need of Assistance!
So, over the last couple weeks or so, I have learned Perl and written the nightly build script, to the point that it will run on every platform currently supported by the SCP.  However, I don't have a dedicated box for each of these platforms that is a good candidate for being a provider of nightly builds, nor do I have a hosting solution that can handle the output of this script for much longer.  I need volunteers with a box that's up every night, as well as a more permanent solution for hosting these files.  I won't be running the script every night on every platform, just Windows for now.   This is partly due to most bugs being likely to be discovered by the Windows users, and the Mac and Linux builds are easily 2 to 3 times larger than the Windows builds, after compression.  Any help in the form of a build environment or a hosting solution would be greatly appreciated.

Chief

edit:  Apparently either the current hosting situation or warpcore can handle the hosting, no need for help there.  A box that can be dedicated to building would still be useful though.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:51:52 am by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
in my absolute ignorace can we explain "box" , i have some server space that can move 10gb each month if thats what your talking about .........
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hosting is not what I need, so much as a computer/server with Perl and a compiling environment set up.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline captain-custard

ok im going to be slapped for my ignorance , i have a server space which is capable of runing scripts but is limited to 10000mb transfer each month i wont be using it much for the next two or 3 months so if you want to set things up on there you can .... if i have misunderstood please slap me and if not pm me for ftp details etc
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline captain-custard

i guess it was a silent girly slap

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It could be useful.  I'm too busy with other things to think about it too much right now though.

Offline captain-custard

ok im going to be slapped for my ignorance , i have a server space which is capable of runing scripts but is limited to 10000mb transfer each month i wont be using it much for the next two or 3 months so if you want to set things up on there you can .... if i have misunderstood please slap me and if not pm me for ftp details etc

a little update , i was giving space to other ppl before and finally they have moved so now i can transfer 120000mb a month , if any one else needs a little space for passing on fs stuff and is reading this pm me

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: In Need of Assistance!
I could provide you a Fedora machine that's up 24/7 (aside from the occasional power outage when out of town); provided you tell me what to do.  :p
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'll be in touch more than likely Swantz :)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Swantz, shortly after you offered a friend of mine from college set me up a build box, so thanks anyway.  I'm still needing a Mac box, as I can't even run the compiler at all on mine since I upgraded to leopard.  One of the strangest bugs I've seen in a while, but that's beside the point.  Basically there won't likely be Mac nightlies for some time without someone taking over the build.  Until them I'm going to try to get a OS X virtual machine running, but that's not very easily done.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think I fixed my Mac.  FS doesn't play nicely on a case-sensitive HFS+ install.  Seems to require case-folding, which is sad because that doesn't play nicely with CPAN, but at least there are published workarounds for it.  Either way, Mac nightly builds have shown up the last two days so I'm thinking I got it fixed up right this time (and now 10.5.6 came out, I hope it doesn't break anything).

Offline neoterran

10.5.6 says it has graphical improvments for games, so I assume it carries a driver update.

Everything is pretty much normal. Still no GLSL working. It really looks great these days with all the improvements - until I go look at how awesome it looks on a windows box. So depressing :(
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline kir2yar

I have a 24 / 7 computer with ubuntu. If you want I can install any packages. I can give you access to SSH.
If you have a ready script, then I'll just run it by cron.
The only drawback - my low speed internet. (Incoming 200Kb / s, outgoing - 100 Kb / s)
That's the way that I can not serve as a download-host.
I am from Russia. Sorry for my English.
I use Google Translator.

jabber: [email protected]

Offline r8dhex

I have an Ubuntu 10.10 VM that I use for compiling my own builds from trunk. I don't run that 24/7, only as needed, but I can run it every night if required. I also have hosting available for the compiled bins.

Not sure whether this is still relevant or needed, but I have an (i686)arch box that could serve as nightly-builder, together with quite some linux and general programming knowledge(no perl, I'm afraid, but python looks a lot like it, from what I've seen), so I would be able to fix any problems or apply any changes you send me).

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It may not be, I have a friend with a VPS that might be serving this purpose soon, will let you know.

Offline apemax

• My Blog
Hey, Just looked through the nightly builds and there isn't many Linux builds. Do you still need a Linux box for the nightly builds? If so I have a spare 64-bit Debian box that might be of use, If not no worries.  :)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Since we're using CIs for this stuff we're not really "in need of assistance" anymore, are we?

I realize this isn't a big issue but seeing this thread every time I check this forum is kind of weird.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Wow, yeah, I guess this is pretty outdated info.

Maybe locking this thing, too?