Author Topic: Joystick Configuration  (Read 2961 times)

Joystick Configuration
I am used to playing flight simulators, so I had a little trouble getting used to some of the differences with space flight.  I normally use the twisting motion of the joystick as yaw or rudder and left and right as bank or roll.  I noticed this is reversed in the joystick assignments.  For those of you used to flight simulators, I have posted my configuration changes below.

Turn (Yaw) Axis:    Joystick RX Axis
Pitch Axis:             Joystick/Mouse Y Axis
Bank Axis:             Joystick/Mouse X Axis

Dumb question:  Does "Relative Throttle Axis" refer to the slider or dial used for speed control?  I haven't been able to use this right, so I have been using W and S mostly for speed.  I have an old Top Gun joystick I use and an old Microsoft joystick that I haven't tried yet.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Joystick Configuration
I am used to playing flight simulators, so I had a little trouble getting used to some of the differences with space flight.  I normally use the twisting motion of the joystick as yaw or rudder and left and right as bank or roll.  I noticed this is reversed in the joystick assignments.  For those of you used to flight simulators, I have posted my configuration changes below.

Turn (Yaw) Axis:    Joystick RX Axis
Pitch Axis:             Joystick/Mouse Y Axis
Bank Axis:             Joystick/Mouse X Axis

Dumb question:  Does "Relative Throttle Axis" refer to the slider or dial used for speed control?  I haven't been able to use this right, so I have been using W and S mostly for speed.  I have an old Top Gun joystick I use and an old Microsoft joystick that I haven't tried yet.

You want "Absolute throttle".

"Relative" is pretty much "on" vs "off". "Absolute" is "this exact position".
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Joystick Configuration
Think of relative as break anc accelerator on the same throttle. Move it away from the default and it starts to slow down or speed up depending on how far from rest it is.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:23:25 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]