Author Topic: Another Hyperion | Model updated 9/26/14!  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Another Hyperion | Model updated 9/26/14!
A lot of people seemed to be unsatisfied with Aesaar's GTC Hyperion, myself included. While it's entirely up to the BP team which they pick provided I ever finish this thing (expect progress to be slow) I took it upon myself to carve out my own take of the cruiser.

While clearly much more heavily inspired by Stratcomm's model, this is not an HTL in any sense, it is its own ship with an original design.

Detailing hasn't even begun yet and I'm still working out how to round out the beast's arse, but the general mid and front section shapes are there.

About the big hole in the middle - not quite sure what I want to do with it. Might fill it in, might make it smaller, I d'no.

Soooo yep, HYPERION FLAMEWAR IS GO.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:55:32 pm by Hellstryker »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, you did get the "strange" part right, sure. :) I'd "straighten" (make the stern level with the rest of the hull, get rid of most of the curves) it, though, and move the beams to nacelles, like in the original. Oh, and I'd ditch the hole. I'd say, don't go too overboard with unusual designs, as it stands, it looks a bit too bizzare to be anything of Terran origin, nor does it look Vasudan in any part. In general, think about taking some more inspiration from the original, while also keeping in mind Aesar's Chimera and Bellerophon. The beam position is important, BTW, it gives the ship a distinctive "face", which is a rather vital part of it's look.

This is brilliantly weird. I don't even care about it as a Hyperion, I just want to see that shape carried through.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I REALLY like it :D. Current incarnation reminds me the Imhotep - Zod science vessel from FSPort. Add another large engine under current main engine section, maybe even similar to engines of old-school Hyperion. Also make whole design longer.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Just spent two hours cleaning up the geometry, serves me right for speed modeling while tired. Going to take a break with this for awhile while I get back to working on my mod, but I'm definitely going to finish this.

Dragon - I strongly disagree - BP's GTVA ships are extremely smooth and curvy, though they retain sharp edges as well, which is exactly what I've done here. The beam position was intentionally changed, as I never much liked the face look, but I suppose I could experiment with moving the beams about. The hole in the center I may or may not ditch, I simply haven't decided what to do with it yet.

Betrayal - That's pretty much what I planned on doing, big engine underneath somewhere.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Dragon - I strongly disagree - BP's GTVA ships are extremely smooth and curvy, though they retain sharp edges as well, which is exactly what I've done here. The beam position was intentionally changed, as I never much liked the face look, but I suppose I could experiment with moving the beams about. The hole in the center I may or may not ditch, I simply haven't decided what to do with it yet.
They're not quite curvy in a way you made it. They have sharp outlines and curved surfaces. This one has a very curved outline, but the surfaces are mostly sharp. At the very least, get rid of or greatly reduce the "step" in the aft section. This is a very large part of why this ship looks too bizzare to be of Terran origin. The original does have a slight bump there, but it's not that big. To look Terran, it should be quite angular and level at a glance, but upon closer inspection, reveal curves. Just flattening that step would make it a lot better, reducing the curves from the top profile (straightening the edges of the "pods) would do also do a lot of good.

Also, now that I think of it, I'd round out the edges on the "pods" on the bottom, maybe decrease (slightly) the angle between them.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Agreed on the hump, I didn't know what to do with that section anyway. Cutting it out has made it a lot easier to expand on.

Not quite sure what you mean about rounding out the pods on the bottom, a picture would help if you want to show me.

Edit: Model updated!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 09:58:47 pm by Hellstryker »

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Re: Another Hyperion | Model updated 9/26/14!
Thats neat how it kinda looks like a sword from the top.

Offline qwadtep

Agreed on the bump. Perhaps try filling in the hole and lower the top slightly where it used to be to achieve the same visual effect while keeping an overall flat profile?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Not quite sure what you mean about rounding out the pods on the bottom, a picture would help if you want to show me.
I mean that from the front, they're basically rectangular with corners cut off. I suggest to smooth out the "outer" face, make their profile a sort of rectangle with one round end. Also, from the top projection, their sides bulge out slightly. I suggest making the sides parallel to the hull, sharply sloping near the front end. Also, experiment with cutting off the part where they join together, possibly all the way to the hole's front face (of course, if you do that, you should fill the hole, or it'll look ridiculously flimsy. Maybe fill it with pipes?). That'd make a mighty fine place for engines.

Also, the angle between them looks just a bit too high. If adjusting it doesn't require tearing down the model, play around with it.

As for the stern, great work, though angling the winglets down could be a possible improvement. Oh, and experiment with moving beams to pods higher on the hull. This model looks like it could really nail it.

Offline Kolgena

Carrier has arrived. (All it needs is the weird side fins and a complement of 8 interceptors)

It looks pretty good so far. I'd say roll with it, and try to keep balance the same (generally same profiles, turret FOVs) so there's a higher chance that it'll be integrated quickly into the mod.

Offline -Sara-

It suddenly feels very GTVA.  :yes:
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Just popping in to let you now this isn't dead. I've just transitioned from Sketchup to 3ds Max and now that my skills are reaching the point where I feel comfortable with finishing a model like this in Max I'll probably start back up again on it soon.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:04:07 pm by Hellstryker »