Author Topic: The MediaVPs 2014 Open Beta [CLOSED - 1/1/14]  (Read 60560 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: The MediaVPs 2014 Open Beta
How can I use these with a custom campaign?
You will need to open that campaign's mod.ini, look for the mediavps or mediavps_3612 entry, and change it to mediavps_2014_beta.

BTW is there a reason you started to rename your mediaVP folder with every major release?

The last time I was here (2007-2008), it was only called "mediavps". Then at some point you decided to add a version number after it. And now there's a year number??

Not that this would prevent me from playing, but I find it exceedingly irritating to manually edit every mod.ini file of my 30+ mods :P

Too much hard work ;D

The reason is because the FSU decided that it is about upgrading Freespace 2 and as a bonus that generally works with mods as an upgrade pack. However, we  (FSU) simply cannot guarantee that the newer mediavps packs will work with every mod ever. So, you are free to edit your mod.ini's if you want. However, the system is designed so that mods built on MediaVPs 3.6.10 will -always- work when loaded with MediaVPs 3.6.10. They may work with 3.6.12, but we can't ensure that. It's up to the mod creators to update their mods for the newer mediavps packs if they want to support them.

NOTE: FSU will attempt to assist mods that want to update their mods with compatibility issues.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

The reason is because the FSU decided that it is about upgrading Freespace 2 and as a bonus that generally works with mods as an upgrade pack. However, we  (FSU) simply cannot guarantee that the newer mediavps packs will work with every mod ever. So, you are free to edit your mod.ini's if you want. However, the system is designed so that mods built on MediaVPs 3.6.10 will -always- work when loaded with MediaVPs 3.6.10. They may work with 3.6.12, but we can't ensure that. It's up to the mod creators to update their mods for the newer mediavps packs if they want to support them.

This would make sense if the FSO installation instruction page also contained links for legacy mediavps files. Now it seems they are nowhere to be found, or at least it's very difficult to find old mediavps.

I haven't really encountered any problems with upgrading mod.ini from "mediavps" to "mediavps_3612" with any mods, but here's the thing: IF there was an unfortunate incident, and a mission refuses to work because of too fresh mediavp files, the only possible solution for playing that mission would be to use retail FS models and textures.

IF this kind of thing were to happen, I believe everyone would prefer using legacy mediavp mod directory as a substitute. It's always a better option than plain retail FS2.

EDIT: I say this because I recognize that most of the mod makers really can't upgrade their mods with every new MediaVP update.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:27:48 pm by Lykurgos88 »

Offline Luis Dias

So you're basically saying that someone somewhere might be having an obscure problem that no one has yet complained about?

Ok.

So you're basically saying that someone somewhere might be having an obscure problem that no one has yet complained about?

Ok.

You are missing the point. It seems that FSU team is afraid of compatibility issues. If there was no compatibility issues whatsoever, the most logical thing would be to keep mediavp -directory's name SAME with every update and only upgrade single files.

This way no one would ever have to update mod.ini files.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A: this is not the thread to debate that issue.

B: it's not going to change.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You are missing the point. It seems that FSU team is afraid of compatibility issues. If there was no compatibility issues whatsoever, the most logical thing would be to keep mediavp -directory's name SAME with every update and only upgrade single files.

This way no one would ever have to update mod.ini files.

Look, we've been thinking about this issue a long time. The way we've chosen to implement this is the best available to us given the way FS modding works.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

So, no links for old mediavps (pre 3.6.12)? That's disappointing.

Is the FSU team actually aiming for yearly release's now (with a "code freeze" at the 31st of december or something like that), or is it just called 2014 because it is no longer geared towards a certain build?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
or is it just called 2014 because it is no longer geared towards a certain build?

This.

Hey look, I used the forum search!

No, I meant that this page should have additional links:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_FreeSpace_2_Open

Sorry, i've been very confusing today. I'll go to sleep...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's the Wiki.. add them.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
For those that have encountered the Ptah insignia problem, I've just committed a change to the code to increase the allowed faces/vertexes for insignia.  I've loaded all the models in the techroom without any issues, but more testing would be good, just grab the next nightly build (in probably nearly 24 hours as I think I just missed the scheduled windows nightly build time)

Also, if any modellers could weigh in on the best value for max vertexes given a new faces limit of 80 that would also be appreciated. Or in other words, what's the max number vertexes there could to for an 80 faces insignia?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Okey, I have done some more thinking on the matter and a new 72 triangle limit would form a perfect square with 49 vertexes. (If anyone don't know , the retail limit is 8 triangles with 9 vertexes, highly impractical for any curved surface.)

edit: Perhaps 128 triangles would be even better?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:37:22 am by Oddgrim »
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Luis Dias

...a new 72 triangle limit would form a perfect square with 49 vertexes.

Thanks Mjn,

Just curious, what actually is the MediaVP roadmap/release schedule/whatsever?

Offline Hellzed

Any chance we get a beta 2 once most of the LOD issues are fixed ?

Offline Yarn

The 3.6.12 MediaVP release thread does have a link to the 3.6.10 MediaVPs--just look near the very top of that post.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Edit: Disregard original post, forgot to adjust the mod.ini file.

BP2 does throw out a bunch of glowpoint errors now though.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Mod creators have been privately reached out to and asked to check for such compatibility issues. FSU only tests against retail FS. There are too many mods for us to test against each of them.

That is to say, I have no doubt BP2 throws errors, but I'm not going to look into why. I'll wait until I hear back from someone on the BP team if it's something FSU needs to deal with or a simple change for their modpack.

Perfectly understandable, I already assumed that, as well. I was just considering if it would somehow be of help, though. I'll look forward to see compatibilities from other mods come about.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell