Poll

How much would you be willing to contribute towards a joint HLP pledge? ($2500 is the target)

$1
6 (5.6%)
$3
5 (4.7%)
$5
12 (11.2%)
$10
21 (19.6%)
$20
27 (25.2%)
$50
20 (18.7%)
$75
1 (0.9%)
$100
9 (8.4%)
$200
4 (3.7%)
More (Please Post)
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: This makes me giddy  (Read 70127 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I meant if HLP raises $5000 for that mark.
I don't think he was replying to you.

I'd totally chip in $100 for an HLP joint pledge!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

I meant if HLP raises $5000 for that mark.
It's a coincidence, though I came to look at your post. Click the Kickstarter link.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Added a poll - Zacam can change it or remove it as he sees fit. It has the option to put in two entries - use this if you want to pledge irregular amounts like 15 or 30 bucks.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

I wonder if somebody could go straight to the developers with whatever we can raise, even if it's not the $2500, and ask if they can help us?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Snuffleupagus, sadly I have no money at this time, I wish you the best though. And like Scourge suggests, maybe you could try talking to the guys working on this, who knows.

Offline docfu

I might be able to do this actually, I speak fluent Japanese and I could actually drive over there and talk with the developers in person. It might be worth a shot to mention that HLP/FSO produces free(albeit via a different license) software and that's why people here would be willing to contribute.

I'm not really an active member of HLP though, so I'll wait for someone in the know to contact me. It'd be a 6-8 drive around trip. I could also talk with them via the phone although they look like they speak fluent English.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Right now (as of this post) if everybody made good on the dollar value amounts, we'd be at $1,010.

And there are still 24 days left to the kickstarter, I'd like to have it (if it can be done) with some days left to spare to allow for collection and payment.

So far, not off to a bad start at all. (I'm one of the ones at "more" in the event that we're close to the total I can put in on top of the $200 I've already ear marked for this).
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Just recently having dealt with the awful old .ani file conversion process I would love to have .png animation support in fso. I'm not a wealthy person at all but willing to chip in with a small amount of monies. (50$)
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Infamus

If only I had the money :banghead:. Otherwise I'd love to help fund a massive joint-pledge for this project with the name "Hard-Light Productions" on it.

EDIT: Maybe I can chip in a few dollars, but that's it.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If we can chip in as a group, I'd be willing to put in $25.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You know I'm in...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Tomo

What do you mean about the licence?

According to the current placeholder GitHub source, they'll be using the zlib/libpng licence for the "disassembly/playback" and command-line library, and that's fine for FSO.
- It's basically "Do what you like, but don't pretend you wrote it or that we wrote your changes"

The GUI tool to create them looks to be GPL, however that doesn't matter for FSO as there's no need to incorporate an animation editor into FSO or FRED itself, any more than we need Blender or Photoshop to be integrated.

I'll certainly be willing to throw some money at this as part of a HLP pledge. Definitely like to see more tools, more options, more freedom for you magicians available.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What the heck, I'm in.  Maybe that will give me leverage to ask them to keep it compatible with C++98. :p

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Over $1600 already. :) We might actually get this done you know. :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
What the heck, I'm in.  Maybe that will give me leverage to ask them to keep it compatible with C++98. :p

....  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  ....
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Plz2nope
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I'd be in for $50, although given what Tomo said above, do we really need our own implementation? Is the vanilla one not enough?

Offline docfu

True, maybe we should be placing an offer to buy the IP from Interplay instead...

Kick starter anyone? I'd kick in $250 off the bat if I knew I had partial ownership...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
It's not just about engine implementation, though that is part of it. But also tools for making modder resources (eventually, we'll need a new VP viewer, previewing Animated PNG's in that would be nice, yes?)

In short, yes, it all very likely could be done without a dime. But that's not really the point. The point is that, where we can get actual assistance from a group like this, it makes things better. It will make any questions or problems that we come up with potentially easier to resolve.

The other factor is marginally publicity. To be a part of having driven something forward. We're not the only game to have the ability to use PNG (Hell, I'm surprised Mojang isn't all over this, what with that stretch goal! I should ask Notch about that ...) and we won't be the last, but if we can get out there that "We helped make this happen!", how can anybody not get excited about that?

For the record, while it would be a "Group" donation, individual members WILL be credited towards the donation in the manner of their choosing (nickname, handle, real name, whatever) regardless of amount.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys