Bobboau's original remodeling.
5 (5.6%)
Galemp's bold remapping.
69 (76.7%)
I never liked the Orion anyway...
10 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: October 10, 2005, 03:49:19 am

Author Topic: The Ultimate Orion  (Read 32327 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm still in the process of adding detail to the bottom and the left side (second pic), and I may fiddle with the backside a bit more.

Funny thing, I spend more time trying to decide WAHT to add and hhow to add it than actually modeling/UV mapping...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Mm, chunks are still too big for my tastes. But whatever you want to do. I already have my ideal Orion. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

this model rules. im soooo making it a MK2 in some ideas i have... sorta liek that one that dude made with the rotating barrel like front....

BTW one suggestion, i know this is prob just a HIGHPOLY version or whatever u wanna call it, but i think what the orion has been lacking in is, more BIG turrets. i mean 3 on top and 2 or 3 on the bottom is fine but u know u'd think theyd have more turrets just as a moot point of firepower. i dunno besides the smaller ones and beam cannons i think for cosmetics it would look and be more powerful....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 08:01:28 pm by 382 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
ohh, the Orion Phase 2 with the uber beams? i've never tried that yet. how good is it?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

it rocks too.

I want both this model and Ryx's. This one for actually playing, Ryx's for just flying around with 5 FPS and drooling puddles on my desk.

;)

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Looks neat.

My hi-poly thing was, as far as I can remember, not really intended for in-game use. Was an attempt to do something beyond <1000 polys mainly.
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

why didn't you finish it? T_T

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
Problems with MAX, as I recall.

MAX boolean operations are not problem free. Sometimes it does them properly, other times not quite so. On those occcasions you would have to manualy fix the problems.
On low-poly meshes this is not typically a problem, but more polys mean more work.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Originally posted by TrashMan
Got a new mouse and work on the Orion continueS!

Had to re-load the old scenes 5-6 times today due to [V] & TS crazynes (I had to delete a attached subobjests faces in a specific way or else the whole UV mapping on the ship would go bokers..immagine that. ..)
Finally that tricky part is over and now it's only some lesser modifications and UV map fixing left...

Can I add a sugestion, can you be the first to add a turret base for the turret to rotate on, cause otherwise most of those turrets would be scrubing their butts on armor.;)
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
*screeeeeeecchhhh* *turret comes back half-scraped away* that's gonna take a lot of metal to repair. ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Ryx

MAX boolean operations are not problem free. Sometimes it does them properly, other times not quite so. On those occcasions you would have to manualy fix the problems.
On low-poly meshes this is not typically a problem, but more polys mean more work.

I have the Lightwave conversion of yours around here somewhere, Ryx, with my Orion turrets on it. It brings my machine to its knees, since each of my turrets had about 1/5 the polies of your whole Orion. :D
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
by the way, do the turrets on the orion do a recoil effect when blobs are fired? :) (sorry, haven't had enough time to test :()

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
i think the model rocks....i think the new textures make it look even better.....now can someone do something about the grasshopper head on the hecate?
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
Originally posted by mikhael

I have the Lightwave conversion of yours around here somewhere, Ryx, with my Orion turrets on it. It brings my machine to its knees, since each of my turrets had about 1/5 the polies of your whole Orion. :D

:lol:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
wait... how many polys is this orion?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Just under 5000 for the hull.  The quoted values I've seen flung around aren't really addressing that, but I've got the model triangulated in Max and that's what it is.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by Ryx

Reading the thread I couln't even see where you would need booleans. You should only be using then as a last resort anyways, especially high-poly render stuff.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
All of the little cutouts and depressions would have made use of booleans, IIRC.  And that Orion had a ton of those.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM