Author Topic: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?  (Read 20732 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Re: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
So does that mean, if they wanted to make a title in the FreeSpace universe, they could ignore Interplay and go directly to the authors and creaters of FreeSpace, it's assets and backstory (-> mental property.... or however "Geistiges Eigentum" is translated into english)?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
Like I said, trademark != IP (Intellectual Property, which is probably the term you're after). As far as we know, Interplay still owns FS's IP.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline -Sara-

Like I said, trademark != IP (Intellectual Property, which is probably the term you're after). As far as we know, Interplay still owns FS's IP.

Much harder to find info on the actual IP though.

So does that mean, if they wanted to make a title in the FreeSpace universe, they could ignore Interplay and go directly to the authors and creaters of FreeSpace, it's assets and backstory (-> mental property.... or however "Geistiges Eigentum" is translated into english)?

AFAIK, if the trademark after evaluation is granted, they can atleast use the Freespace title. But it depends on the IP (if there is one) whether or not they can use Apollo's, Orions, Aken Bosch and the Shivans in their game. So they could make a totally unrelated space combat sim named Freespace Star Adventures, which has nothing to do with the Freespace universe.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:14:27 am by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Much harder to find info on the actual IP though.

Indeed. However it is possible those guys secured the trademark as a potential negotiation argument in order to acquire the IP from Interplay.

LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Kie99

Maybe they just think it's a cool sounding name.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline -Sara-

Indeed. However it is possible those guys secured the trademark as a potential negotiation argument in order to acquire the IP from Interplay.

LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE

Yep, like I said:
...or alternately that is the date that the trademark may run out and Stompy Bot lets Interplay know that they are interested in purchasing the franchise, starting with the name trademark.

Maybe they just think it's a cool sounding name.

The description mentions Space Combat Sim, but that is only the current status. If they make it the successor of Windows FreeCell, it will from then on be a card game I imagine. Not sure how that legally works. It's just a name yep.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Luis Dias

So there's a (slight) chance this small company will just make Freespace 3 and destroy the entire franchise with it.

Hopefully, there will be still a window frame of, let's say, 4 to 5 years until Freemaggedon happens.

I'll bring the popcorn.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So there's a (slight) chance this small company will just make Freespace 3 and destroy the entire franchise with it.

Hopefully, there will be still a window frame of, let's say, 4 to 5 years until Freemaggedon happens.

I'll bring the popcorn.

What makes you assume it's going to be a "Freespace 3?" Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is in the same universe as Fallout, but is technically not along the same plot line as 1, or 2. Fallout 3 released by Bethesda however did have a parallel plot line, and did very well to allude to the events in FO:BOS.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Luis Dias

Where did I assume anything? Why did you assume I assumed?

Assumeception.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Where did I assume anything? Why did you assume I assumed?

Assumeception.

I'll let you figure that one out. :)
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Weren't Stompy bot revamping/Reviving Heavy Gear?

I'd say there's a fair chance they might have a go at finishing of FS.

BTW...................

When did Batutta become someone else?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

BTW...................

When did Batutta become someone else?

He sorta asked for it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No I didn't :(

Offline -Sara-

But you can gossip about him now as long as it remains a "General FreeSpace" discussion. :P

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Petition to form a "General Freespace discussion" discussion split..

+1
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
The description mentions Space Combat Sim, but that is only the current status. If they make it the successor of Windows FreeCell, it will from then on be a card game I imagine. Not sure how that legally works. It's just a name yep.
:shaking: but there already is a cardgame.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
This all means very little unless they acquire the IP, which probably costs several orders of magnitude more than acquiring the trademark.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
So all they've done then is made it harder for anyone else to eventually make FS3?

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing  :doubt:

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
So all they've done then is made it harder for anyone else to eventually make FS3?

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing  :doubt:

If no one can get the IP off Interplay it's a moot point

edit: spelling, thanks jr2
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 08:22:23 pm by headdie »
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline -Sara-

Is someone here involved in some way with law or w/e to succesfully trace or see who actually does hold the IP or are such things locked off from public sight?