Author Topic: Brighter Gunsight  (Read 3084 times)

The stock gunsight just isn't bright enough. Even with pressing "L" I find that I keep wanting to put the tracers on target instead of the gunsight. So I pulled it out of the VP and increased the levels to make it brighter. It also makes the lines a little fatter so I was wondering if it's making it easier to score hits. Does the size of the gunsight change the way the engine registers a hit?

Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Something is seriously bugged if a HUD gauge controls how well your weapons hit enemies, so no, it shouldn't.  You're probably just aiming better if that's the case.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline liliput

Could you please upload it somewhere? I'd like to try it.

Offline Rainman

This is a really good point, I wish there was a way to make the main non-movable sights bigger or easier to see. For some reason using the targeting sights messes up my aim a lot, probably because it is moving constantly when your target is moving so if you focus only on matching up the moving sight to the moving target it gets hard to score a hit. Just judging using the main sights and the target and possibly having the targeting sights as secondary, less bright objects would probably help. Is there a way to customize the HUD? I liked that feature in Battlefield 2.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Do you mean you want the lead indicator (the octagonal indicator with a pipper dot inside) to be brighter, or do you want the actual "points-dead-ahead"-reticle (the crosshair in the center) to be brighter, to see the direction your ship is facing at?

And no, the size or thickness of target indicators does not in any way change the gun hit detection.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Rainman

I prefer the "points ahead" gunsight to be more visible. The octagonal one that is always shifting makes it hard to aim if the enemy is changing direction constantly. Not to say I don't like it or it's not useful or anything, but I'd like to have the option for either as described above.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
In that case you might want to try out this.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3cqd3akkaeb150p/ReticleMod.7z

It was made for Blue Planet after it became apparent that especially with head tracking, it was necessary to have a more visual indicator for the forward direction of the ship. I don't remember who exactly coded this, but it's a script that adds a custom target reticle into the game...

Install by dragging the mod directory into your FreeSpace directory, and add a custom command line tag -mod ReticleMod on the launcher.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.