Author Topic: War in Heaven Voice Acting — VICTORY IS LIFE!  (Read 113320 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
War in Heaven Voice Acting — VICTORY IS LIFE!

BLUE PLANET: WAR IN HEAVEN
VOICE ACTING DEATH MARCH

The Blue Planet: War in Heaven voice script contains more than 250 pages of dialogue encompassing a hundred and twenty roles. It's a titan.

As of today, I'm happy to report that 67 of those roles have been filled, including central characters like Brie, Admiral Byrne, and, if all goes well, Laporte herself. We're now down to around forty roles remaining. Only 24 roles remaining! You are all heroes! Barely any roles left! The Death March is nearly complete.

Let's push to the finish. I'm at [email protected]. Send me your auditions.

IF YOU WANT IN

All you need to do is open the script. Here, you'll find a list of every character left to act, complete with lines, filenames, and - in some cases - stage directions to help provide context. As this effort moves forward, I'll be working to expand the script with additional stage directions and pruning out characters whose roles we've filled.

Find a character you want to try. Record their lines in .ogg format. Save each line with the listed filename. Remember, submissions go to me at [email protected].

When you submit lines for a character, leave a comment on the header of the character's script to let other people know. Feel free to submit for roles others are after too - the more, the better. And if we think your voice would be a spectacular fit for more or larger roles, we'll reach back to you.

PRIORITY TARGETS

We are pretty much done.

THE KILLBOARD

We're not in this for the glory. Some people - myself included - just don't have the voice for any of these roles. Others are hampered by their recording equipment. If you don't find a place in the cast, no shame: I'm with you.

But here's a tributed to the dedicated, the stubborn, those who've filled role after role - and billing for those who've taken up the mantles of major characters. Some of this may change, if there are technical hurdles that can't be overcome, or if brilliant new stars rise to supplant our existing talent. But nonetheless: they spoke with valor.

Here is the most up-to-date version of the killboard.

DEATHMARCH INCENTIVE PROGRAM

Audio samples of completed roles. Submit more lines, and you'll earn more sneak peeks.

Brie, under the guns of an Aeolus
Brie contemplates the machine of war

Laporte tallies/Laporte reins in Kassim/Laporte reacts
Laporte flirts/Laporte reports on psychosis/Laporte sees Ken

The most popular admiral in Sol!/The admiral's favorite hammer/Tragedy by ROE

The Dawnbringer/introductions/testing their will/every roach in the ship's laundry

The Indus shock-jumps/Defiance/Fire as you bear/A truce undone/Hostilities resume

A stark beginning/A trying tongue/A second survivor/A challenge derided/A grateful word

Coffee and contingencies

The killer killer/a mind for hearts/undisciplined, uneducated, unsafe/a curious soul/back to back, life to death

River and island/river and stone/broadside on/the river and the reaper/ocean soon/

Scotch and solitude (Act 4 preview)

Smooth confidence

The habitat law/the blade itself/unsheathed/knife in a gunfight/burden of souls

Simms likes you

Old men...are the future
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:31:54 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Re: War in Heaven Voice Acting Death March
reserved

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I've just spotted a bunch more lines in our SVN. I'll try to figure out who's where and update any cast roles I might have missed.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Is there a general timetable in which you'd like these lines, or will any old time we can manage suffice?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The sooner the better. The longer things got put off, the lower the probability they'll ever happen!

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Is there any particular software you could advise for capture? I was thinking about submitting a few lines as well.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Is there any particular software you could advise for capture? I was thinking about submitting a few lines as well.
It's hard to go wrong with Audacity.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I came across Vocaroo a while ago. Maybe you can find a use for it.

In any case, I'd like to give this a shot in a few hours... when it isn't 3 AM and the neighbors wont wake up from hearing me talk nonsense to a computer. :P

Just sent off some submissions and left a comment as requested on the document for which characters I had a crack at! You should be getting it soon, Battuta!
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
This day is going to be a long haul of recording. :)

Edit: Is there anything regarding effects I should apply besides cancelling background noise?

Offline Luis Dias

I'd love to help but my voice is cringe-worthy material. Nevertheless the best of luck, and I might try again some time later.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
That's what I kept telling myself. I decided to try in a few hours and let the general decide if he wants to use it or not. :P

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
HOLY ****. The actress who plays Mina Taylor is voicing Laporte. I may have just squeed.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Ok, I've tried my luck with two submissions. More to follow.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Edit: Is there anything regarding effects I should apply besides cancelling background noise?

It's probably too late for you, but just as a general FYI: Submissions should be unaltered beyond basic cleanup (noise cancelling etc). All the radio filters and so on will be applied by us, you do not have to worry about it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
It's probably too late for you, but just as a general FYI: Submissions should be unaltered beyond basic cleanup (noise cancelling etc). All the radio filters and so on will be applied by us, you do not have to worry about it.

That's good because I didn't touch the files beyond noise cancelling. Now I'm just left wondering how good my interpretation of Kassim will catch on. Might be too high pitched. In that case I'll just redo the whole thing. Love the character.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I assume the .ogg file names near the text means that someone's submitted their clip for that dialogue?

Offline Luis Dias

I assume that's the name you are obliged to save the audio file as.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That is correct. Failure to follow these conventions will result in us probably discarding your submission, as it makes it unnecessarily tedious for us to drop these lines in for testing.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure what it meant exactly. So how do I know if someone else's line has been accepted? I'm mostly just going through things, seeing if I can help. I've got a good monotone voice, but there's something in my throat, so it's not so good atm.