Author Topic: Balancing is hard.  (Read 8260 times)

Offline Kie99

Orions and Hecates have 100,000 hitpoints, that's the same as a Ravana but Shivan beams are ludicrously overpowered.  I'm not sure if the damage per shot is much greater than their GTVA equivalents but the refire rate on the LRed - primary armament of the Demon, Ravana and Lilith - is unbelievable. 

What's in the tables isn't necessarily reflective of how they are supposed to operate.  In the actual campaign you don't ever see that sort of fire rate maintained for very long, it was probably never intended for destroyer/destroyer combat.  It's probably worth creating some kind of intermediate between SRed and LRed and justifying it as the beams being overcharged in the main campaign, much like the Colossus did in High Noon.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The single-pulse damage for the LRed isn't that high. It's that it can fire constantly if you let the AI fire it on "full auto".
A simple solution to that is to control the rate of fire manually using fire-beam events. No need to table in intermediate weapons.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
And make all warships staggeringly tougher so they can have epic beem brawlz :hellyeah:

difficulty its broke agein

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What's in the tables isn't necessarily reflective of how they are supposed to operate.  In the actual campaign you don't ever see that sort of fire rate maintained for very long,

Because it's never necessary because of the massive damage it does.

Really though the idea the Shivans casually overclock their gear rather than the LRed's stats represent its normal stats is pretty close to declaring Jaws 4 is about a voodoo shark and so now it make sense.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

nope difficulty its broken look at damage
I cant build a mission with one wing man
destroying 2 wings
you will die in killing one wing

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can you point to a build where that mission works as intended?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

The single-pulse damage for the LRed isn't that high.
Well, sure, if you compare it to the BFRed & LRGreen/BFGreen, it's not that overwhelming per pulse, roughly on par with other destroyer-grade beams, meaning that they kill most big things in 4 or 5 shots.

Anyway, in the past, I've had battles that involved special hit points, to increase the overall durability of particular ships, beam-resistant armor to make player bombs more impactful in comparison (and prevent destroyers from lol-stomping ships in less than 40 seconds), as well as beam-locking/fire-beaming as needed.

Overall, when balancing a significant battle, I'd say trimming it down - reducing wing-size, make a fighter or two stronger, playing with AI ranks, etc. works better than "escalating" it (adding more ships or wings). It then becomes easier to have player actions have impact, and makes it easier to micro-manage the various parts of the mission.