Author Topic: Cockpit Engine Volume Reversed?  (Read 1428 times)

Offline AV8R

Cockpit Engine Volume Reversed?
I've noticed something odd with the ambient engine noise you hear while in the cockpit - when increasing power to engines, the ambient engine sound gets noticeably quieter. Yet, when I increase power to either weapons or shields or both (thus decreasing engine output), the engine sound gets louder. I would think increasing power to the engines would make the engines louder, not the other way around.   :wtf:

This happens in both FSO and FSPort (2014 MediaVPs) with the same results (I ran the 1st Training Missions in both mods as a test). Is it just my rig/setup, or does anyone else hear this also?

I am running the 3.7.2 Final build.

EDIT: Hmm, it also does this in retail.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:34:08 pm by AV8R »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Cockpit Engine Volume Reversed?
Were you increasing your speed up to the new maximum when you were testing that?  The engine noise works on a sliding scale, so since putting more power to engines increases the top of that scale, it'd make sense from a mechanics standpoint that the sound would bump down to whatever your new percentage of max is.  I'll agree that it doesn't make much in-universe sense.

Offline AV8R

I see what you're saying - but I was at full throttle the whole time. At full throttle, what I explained above was happening. Try it yourself. Start out at full throttle with all energy levels at 50%. Now increase either weapons or shield settings and you'll hear the engine volume level increase. Now, if you reset all of the levels to 50% and increase the engine energy level to full while at full throttle, you'll hear the engine volume decrease. That doesn't seem right.

It seems that if you funnel all of your energy toward your engines, the volume level of the engines should increase, yes? But that's not the case - when increasing the weapons or shield energy settings to maximum, that's when the volume level of the engine sound increases. If you put max energy toward engines, it gets quieter. That doesn't make sense.

Offline AV8R

Am I missing something? Doesn't this seems backwards to anyone? Shouldn't the engine sound become louder when all energy is diverted to the engines (instead of the shields or weapons)? Does anyone else hear the same thing when they change their power settings in cockpit?  :nervous:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
For sure, that seems backwards and I don't know why it's doing that.  I just haven't had time to dig into it :)  Maybe create an issue on github to ensure this isn't lost.
https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/issues
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AV8R

Thanks for your reply, Niffiwan. But before I have to create a new account for myself on GitHub could you please verify that you hear the same thing on your system(s) first? I don't want to report something on GitHub that hasn't at least been duplicated/verified on someone else's computer.

Thank you, sir.  :yes:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I thought someone else in this thread had already confirmed it; but obviously my memory is playing trick on me! I'll have to try to repro then at some point.... :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...