Author Topic: Starting Some Analysis  (Read 7009 times)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Starting Some Analysis
As far as my upload schedule (which barely exists still) I'm planning on doing a Freespace video every other upload to break it up both for the channel's sake and so I don't go too far down the rabbit hole and never come back  :D. The next upload will be about Prey 2017 and why I'm having such a hard time getting into it, so don't worry, after that I'll be looking at how FS1 uses everything in its opening moments and missions to build an entire world with as little text as possible!
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Will you be addressing the Vasudan foothold on Vasuda Prime? Is it implicit that the Terrans have established a base on Terra Prime??

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
All I'm trying to insinuate is the modest proposal that every genuinely interesting element of the FS universe comes from FS2 :battuta:

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
That is indeed a modest proposal. As I see it, FS1 created a foundation equivalent of rooting a house near the mantle and FS2 then went on to build a gorgeous house with a ridiculous amount of expandability.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I find the details surrounding operation thresher and all it implies interesting.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

I think Battuta's perspective is that FS1's sole contribution was to provide something for FS2 to eat.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That IS my opinion but I am a grouch and also not the one putting a ton of effort into a cool video series, so please carry on

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Maybe, just maybe I'll be able to provide a few decent counterpoints to your opinion. Freespace 2 is easily one of the best sequels of all time.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

That IS my opinion but I am a grouch and also not the one putting a ton of effort into a cool video series, so please carry on

also while we're talking about freespace analysis, i remember you saying once that freespace 2 has incredible ludonarrative harmony 'even down to the interface art' — could you elaborate on that? do you mean that it's dark, dreary and clinical, with little concession to wing commander-style cosy skeuomorphism?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
The main menus in FS change depending on where you are in the campaign and act as a hub for both the software itself and the experienceb (they are flight decks). On top of that the story has no presumption of agency and has more interest in making you feel small than powerful (even in FS1, you destroy the Eva but it costs the Galatea). FS2 goes all in on this principle with the Sathanas. (I'm on my phone so I'm not typing any essays here).

The HUD is a utilitarian as hell design and is reminiscent of a lot of modern military systems with a few more flourishes here and there.

A lot of the ships in FS aren't designed with aerodynamics in mind (ursa or herc anyone?) But are designed around target profiles or maximizing fields of fire (FS2 leviathan's aa beams, the pegasus's razor thin profile, or the deimos's turret coverage while looking like a rounded brick).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:07:20 pm by Firesteel »
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline FIZ

Thank you for posting this.

I was watching something else when I had this sudden urge to dive back into the FS universe.  Was frustrated from how out of date all my installers are, no idea if wxLauncher was up to date with bested graphics, joystick covered in ash. 

This video was a counterweight to my impulse.  Go back.  Enjoy the original tale.  Remember why, after ~15 years ago, this game spoke out to me in a big box store.  Remember in the impetuous of youth you played as god almighty... on easy. 

Flash.  You tire of easy settings.  The enemy is smart too.  I fumble between settings justifying it with AI accuracy.  Still remember.  I don't mind being a pawn if the game makes sense.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Just so this is somewhere a little more central, my current plans for video releases is Freespace every other video. The next upload will be about immersive sims (like Prey 2017 and Bioshock) then looking at the first part of Freespace 1, then something talking about VA-11 Hall-A, then more Freespace, and so on.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
MOAR VIDEOS REQUIRED
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I'm working on it (see my forum text). I've been busy working on this Prey video that's ballooned because of my need for footage and slowly warming up to the game 11 hours in. The  next Freespace video will hopefully not take me a month but I'm moving next week so we'll see. The topic is something I've already had drafts of so that process should be faster.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED